2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All -

The tow hook is neatly hidden behind the front grill. How do you remove the front grill cover to get to it? I want to put a 'tow hook' license plate holder there but can't get that piece out. The owner's manual doesn't say how to do this.

Thanks.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you read my post? It not a round cover. It's a piece integrated into the actual grill and I can't get it off. I need to get it off to access the tow hook thread.

·
Super Moderator
5,963 Posts
What good is a "tow hook" thats not accessible?
There is a removable cap, as clearly described with pictures and text in the 2019 owners manual, sect 7-23, emergency towing......:bash:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Folks need to be aware that these hooks are often misnamed and misused as towing hooks. They are not, and should not be used for this purpose. They are tiedown hooks for securing the car during shipping.

·
Super Moderator
5,963 Posts
Folks need to be aware that these hooks are often misnamed and misused as towing hooks. They are not, and should not be used for this purpose. They are tiedown hooks for securing the car during shipping.
Yes, that is also clearly explained in sec 7-23. Whats not explained is that using the tie-down point as license plate mounting point can cause damage in even a minor front-end collision that otherwise would not occur. :surprise:

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Arathol, it is not 'clearly' explained. See the image that I attached of that page. Please explain to me (based on page 7-23) exactly how to remove it. Note*it is not on the bumper, it is in the front grill. How do you remove the piece that is embedded in the grill?

Where do you put the screwdriver to pry it off? I do not see a notch available to do this.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,963 Posts
Looks pretty clear to me.....
Use a non-marring tool (wrapped screw driver) and pop it out...just like they have always been.....:dunno:
If you can't figure it out have the dealer show you how to do it........:surprise:

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks pretty clear to me.....
Use a non-marring tool (wrapped screw driver) and pop it out...just like they have always been.....:dunno:
If you can't figure it out have the dealer show you how to do it........:surprise:
Pop it out from where? Which side? Top? Bottom? Left? Right?
I did ask the dealer and he tried to remove it from another car and broke the piece. Now it won't stay in place and he has to order a new one. I am trying to avoid that.

So the question is: do you actually know how to remove it. Yes or No. If yes, show me a pic of where to put the wrapped screwdriver to pry it out.

·
Super Moderator
5,963 Posts
Like i said, the pictures and instructions are quite clear. They show where to insert the tool and which way to pop it out. The 4 door is different from the hatch. Maybe the guy at the dealer just did not know how to do it. It should not be that hard to remove.

·
Super Moderator
5,963 Posts
Don't have a clue why you can't get it off, it should not be that difficult. It should just pop out. Try harder.....:dunno:
Post a picture of your cars grill showing what you are trying to do......

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The objective here is not to try harder and possibly break it (like the dealer did on another car), the goal is to do it correctly so it does not break.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spoke with another Mazda3 owner and he showed me how to do it. The clips are on the top and bottom of the piece, so do not use that area. You need to slide a very thin tool on the side to gently pry it out. I used a tool that is used remove the spring bars that hold a watch strap on to the lugs of a watch. It has a bit of a curve and is very thin. I am happy that I did not listen to Arathol as his advice is to simply try harder rather than try smarter.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,963 Posts
The fact that you could not remove it before implies you were not trying hard enough, not following the directions in the manual and using the wrong tool. You put some more effort into it, followed the directions, used the proper tool and it came out. Whats your problem?

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The fact that you could not remove it before implies you were not trying hard enough, not following the directions in the manual and using the wrong tool. You put some more effort into it, followed the directions, used the proper tool and it came out. Whats your problem?
Um no. That is not at all what happened.

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
It's done and over with, both of you go back to your corners.

Reactions: The Italian

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made a video for everyone to see so it can be easy.

I recently bought a 2019 Mazda 3 GT AWD (Canada) and I want to get the "tie down" cover off to relocate my plate to the side. I see Mazda2_Amir's video and the front grill looks different from the GT trim that I own (I'm guessing the equivalent is Premium in USA). I've asked the dealership and they have no idea how to remove the cover either.

Here is a link to what my front grill looks like

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
2020 Mazda3 Premium AWD hatchback Polymetal/red
20 Posts

This is the USA "Premium" hatchback. I'm not sure where the tie-down or tow hook cover is. From what I've read, that may not be a good idea to use it to relocate your plate as it may cause damage and/or trigger the air bags if ever bumped by accident (like parking).

I easily removed the stock plate support and bought a universal one from Amazon, and secured it using long zip-ties against the support "ribs" within the lower cowl.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts