2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Quick question. If one wants to run an aggressive wheel set up with a drop, one needs to roll the rear fenders.... But what about the fronts? Has anyone need to do anything to them? They are different, don't have much of a lip, yet, they have like 2 screws... I'm wondering if it even affects the wheel set up though.

I'm going to be running 18x8.5 +35 wheels...

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Really depends on your tiresetup too. If you're going to be running 245+ you'll want a fender roll. 235 can be pushing it depending on the brand of tire. In all honesty if youre going to roll the rears you might as well throw some down to roll the fronts.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really depends on your tiresetup too. If you're going to be running 245+ you'll want a fender roll. 235 can be pushing it depending on the brand of tire. In all honesty if youre going to roll the rears you might as well throw some down to roll the fronts.
Thanks for your response. Yes I agree with the tire set up... I'm going with continental dws 06 and installing Tein Htechs (about 1.2F and 1.4R drop). At the moment, I'm thinking of either:

225/45/18, but I'm not a big fan of stretched tires...

235/40s will make the tire height just slightly shorter than stock, therefore, will provide a larger gap than the other tires that I'm listing (boo).
235/45s is out of the question... Heavier and too tall.

245/40s is really close to stock height, but a little taller. However, they are wide.

I guess I'm leaning towards the 225s... But... I'm still wondering if anyone has rolled the fronts... There's not too much to roll (compared to the rears)... However, there is like a inner fender liner with some screws... I'm just wondering if I need to do something about that? Or can I get away with some front negative camber, and call it a day?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I rolled my fronts and rears; originally running 245/35/18 with -1.3F, -2R camber.

I'm running 235/40/18 now and i think it fills the wheel gap better without having to drop the car too much. Good luck

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I rolled my fronts and rears; originally running 245/35/18 with -1.3F, -2R camber.

I'm running 235/40/18 now and i think it fills the wheel gap better without having to drop the car too much. Good luck
Thank you Mr. Azurax!

I have no problem rolling the fronts (since I'm doing the rears). That being said, my question hasn't been answered lol. What do I do about those 2 screws inside the front fender?

If I just go with 225/45s, I probably should be okay with about -1.5 negative camber, and not have to roll them, right?...

By the way, I'm a big fan of how your car looks. I had an eye on those Avids for a long time, and really like how they look on the Mazda 3s. Your car is siiick!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you buddy, sorry i didn't answer your question. No you don't need to worry about the screws. Avids are great daily. Had em for over a year now and honestly couldn't be happier.

225/40 with -1.5 camber theoretically shodulnt' rub. But also depends on low you are. Good luck! Not sure about 225/45 (my guess is you're okay tho)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you buddy, sorry i didn't answer your question. No you don't need to worry about the screws. Avids are great daily. Had em for over a year now and honestly couldn't be happier.

225/40 with -1.5 camber theoretically shodulnt' rub. But also depends on low you are. Good luck! Not sure about 225/45 (my guess is you're okay tho)
You have answered all my questions. Again, thank you, and please have a great day!:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a question about fender rolling the rear, my tires are a bit on the wider side i cannot remember the measurements, but when i have passengers in the back it drops and if i as so much as hit a bump, the tires will scrape the walls.

when i roll my fenders, do i only heat and roll the metal quarter panel? or do i also heat and roll the portion of the rear bumper? or am i suppose to determine where the tire is hitting and only roll that portion?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Heat and roll metal only. The tire shouldn't be hitting the rear bumper, but if it does, chances are you'll have to trim/dremel the plastic. I had mine rolled from where the bumper/quarter panel meets to roughly where the passenger door handle starts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts