2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking looking at the 2017 model... if you were to purchase the parts for the entire front bumper, fog lights and headlamps, would it not be theoretically possible to take one of the 14-16 models (like mine) and make it look the same? The bumper and headlights should all mount in the same locations i would imagine. Only factor would be the $2000 cost of the headlights as they're slightly different shape. Thoughts?

·
Registered
327 Posts
It's likely possible, but at what cost, and for what gain?

Not likely worth it unless you've damaged your whole front end and can get all the parts you need off of a 2017 that's been written off from behind and want to go through with the added time / complexity / costs / headaches of making it all work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Now that the Morimoto Mazda XB Type Z LED fog lights are available again I am pretty happy with my 16 GT Hatch. I was able to get all the accessories and tint and still was under MSRP out the door. There is no way I could of done that with a 17 at the same price I paid out the door with all the extras.

I think the larger fogs look better and now with them being a projector LED and with my HID headlights the color match will be very close.

I think the rear bumper would also need to be replaced to try to make it look like a 17 so not worth the cost.

·
Super Moderator
5,556 Posts
I was thinking looking at the 2017 model... if you were to purchase the parts for the entire front bumper, fog lights and headlamps, would it not be theoretically possible to take one of the 14-16 models (like mine) and make it look the same? The bumper and headlights should all mount in the same locations i would imagine. Only factor would be the $2000 cost of the headlights as they're slightly different shape. Thoughts?
If you are willing to absorb the $2k for the lights and much more for the rest of the parts, why not just trade in your current car, put that $2k+ towards a down payment and get a 2017.:dunno:

·
Registered
372 Posts
It's very likely that's all you have to do to make the front look the same. It's very unlikely the fenders or hood are different (though I could be wrong): it's generally very expensive for the manufacturer to make sheetmetal changes.

However, a couple of other notable things on the exterior have changed for '17: the rear bumper, and also the side mirrors. If you only care about the front, then disregard this, but if you really want your car to pass as a '17, you have to change these too.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just was interested in people's thoughts on this. I know it doesn't really make any sense financially to do. Definitely not something I'll be doing. Having a 15 GT and the XB LED fogs is quite nice and nothing to complain about. Although, having the LED headlights and fogs OEM as well as the new Front end does make me a bit jealous of the '17s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts