2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Redtag
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I bought a 2016 Mazda3 second hand about 18 months ago. Great car, but from day 1 there has been a really irritating 'creak' in the front end when I go over speedbumps or turn into my driveway at low speed. The noise isn't really obvious on the road at higher speeds, but at walking pace with a big movement of the front wheels I get a really annoying creak.
I have to say that the dealer as been marvellous in taking the car back for work, but I'm STILL getting the creak, but now from just the driver's side (RHS here in Australia).
So far the dealers have replaced the ball joints, adjusted the tierod ends, put in spring isolators and new bumpstops, put in new top mounts for the struts made sure they weren't loose, and just yesterday replaced both struts. The work yesterday got rid of the creak on the LHS, so that's a big improvement. Separately I got a local workshop to grease the swaybar bushes, because a few on this forum have suggested that is the first thing to look at. That made no change.
So what is left to look at? Is there a body panel issue??? It sounds like a joint is dry, or rubber is moving past metal and it's only audible when movement is long but slow. Anybody else cured a similar noice?
Redtag

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
220 Posts
This might be exactly the same issue I’m having. Is everything stock on yours?

·
Redtag
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This might be exactly the same issue I’m having. Is everything stock on yours?
Yes, everything is absolutely stock! The noise I have sounds a bit like I've run over an empty beer can, or am driving an old wooden boat! Is that like your noise?
I've asked several times about lubing the strut bearings, and the reply was 'yes they would have done that'. It may be that they didn't, so I'll check next time. When the top mount was replaced I assumed that included the bearings as well. Maybe not?
Thanks for the replies.
Redtag

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
220 Posts
Hmm.. mine was more of a creak. Like rubber against metal. I recently changed to adjustable end links in the front. The sounds isn’t has noticeable now. I think for me. It was the preload on the sway bar that was putting more tension on the poly bushings, which are known to make squeak noises.

·
Redtag
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, the noise has now gone! The local Mazda shop did another service under warranty, so I'm really happy. A number of things were changed. Noise was confirmed to have come from the lower control arm's ball joint. They also found that there was too much lube where the spring sits on the strut bearing. I think that has to have been a result of an earlier diagnosis by the workshop, as that is not something that I had done or asked for. The advice is that the lube encourages slipping of the spring (rotation) and that causes a noise. Evidently that part of the suspension should be dry.
It's like driving a new car, really happy!

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
220 Posts
Man, I’m still dealing with the noise. It might just be because of my poly sway bushings are going to be noisy by nature.. or it could be my lower control arm bearings which is the one suspension component I haven’t messed with yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts