2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, so I recently lowered my car onto low kings springs (the drop is about 30mm) and now the front end makes an awful clunking noise over bumps. I've tightened most of the bolts back to the reccomended torque, except for the one at the top that require a hex key as I can't really figure out how to torque those with the tools I have available, so I just tightened them as much as possible. same with the end link bolts. I've heard the end links can cause the issue so I tried tightening them while they had the load of the car on them by turning the wheels full lock and doing it like that but they didn't feel loose at all.
I also apologize if I havent worded things well I'm not the best with car terminology

Pls someone help this didn't start until I put the new springs in, I can't figure out what the issue could be but it makes me shit myself every time I hit a speed bump or a bump in the road

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's probably got to do with the fact that lower springs means they're not as long as the oems so when you go over a bump there's a bit of open space at the struts topmost position and the clunk is the chassis coming down and settling on it. My car does the same thing as well and has done since I got lower springs. It's better now witrh adjustable shocks. I have no front sway bar so it's not that or the end links. If the car is parked, can you push down on the front corners rhythmically? See if the noise is made then as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's probably got to do with the fact that lower springs means they're not as long as the oems so when you go over a bump there's a bit of open space at the struts topmost position and the clunk is the chassis coming down and settling on it. My car does the same thing as well and has done since I got lower springs. It's better now witrh adjustable shocks. I have no front sway bar so it's not that or the end links. If the car is parked, can you push down on the front corners rhythmically? See if the noise is made then as well.
if I push down on the corners it doesn't make any sound, I even got assistance and got two people on one side and it still didn't make any
the bumps typically have to be pretty big for it to make a clunk, and if I'm going faster the clunks are more frequent. makes driving 'country' roads absolute torture

1 - 3 of 3 Posts