2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ll get right to it. Bought my `16 3 with 14 miles on it. Started modding the day I got it. I knew I was going to lower it a bit, and that`s where this episode starts.

I first got Eibach springs. They rode well, had a nice, subtle drop, but I wanted something more noticeable. Jumped on a set of H&R springs, sold the Eibachs. Car sat about where I wanted it to, but secretly wished the front sat just a *tad* lower, not corksport low. As the suspension was brand new, I really had no complaints and any further mods were to address specifically things I wanted, not needed. I had seen a few cars with coilovers that sat just ever so perfect, but the expense was just a hair out of reach for decent ones. As I broke the car in I started to see it`s handling personality come out more, and I knew what direction I wanted to go in. Rear sway bar was unquestionably the next item on the list. Still thinking about keeping my H&R and getting Koni shocks or trying to pull off some magic and get coilovers.

Then it happened.

I found a deal on a set of BC coilovers right at a time when I had a little bit of money to spend. I had them the next day.

To cut to the chase, the car has a true sports car feel to it now. It`s a firm ride, not bouncy, not jarring. It sits a little low for a daily driver, but still not slammed like the CS springs do. I`m sure had I gone with good shocks and kept my H&R springs it would handle jus as well...what I wanted was the custom ride height AND control. When he car is not under throttle in the turns, it corners like a rear drive sports car. Obviously under throttle front drive cars are very different than rear, but it handles remarkably, even to an old schooler like me who enjoys a little "throttle induced oversteer" from time to time. The car just begs to be pushed harder into turns that used to make my knuckles white.

So: stock > Eibach > H&R > BC coilovers w/ rear sway bar. I was happy after I installed the H&R....I`m ecstatic now. If it wasn`t pouring down rain I`d snap some pics of `er sitting just right. Gimme a few days, once the sun comes back I`ll shine it up and show off :-D

·
Banned
161 Posts
looking at the first paragraph your priorities are all wrong. stop worrying so much about looks if handling is your primary concern. if its not then please excuse my suggestion and continue focusing on the stance before upgrading your sway bars. lol you never mentioned track times or lap records to break, so one would naturally assume your set up is for street use. if that's the case why would you invest your money on suspension designed by a company who specializes in racing components only ?

For BC to add the word "sport" to the product description is a joke these people don't make OEM shocks so they have no clue what it means to drive on the street lol (unless your track use only) so why even consider this brand. I don't know of any car manufacturer that's equipped with BC shocks or sport shocks. so maybe it has to do with the simple fact that the BC brand has 5-10 years of experience developing racing parts, not OEM parts for street use. Meanwhile cheaper shocks/suspension are available from companies that cater to Mercedes Benz, Lexus, and Toyota. KYB 90+ years, Bilstein 90+ years, BC 10 years ??? decisions decisions lol, but its not hard to realize where your money should go unless getting into accidents is your cup of tea

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
looking at the first paragraph your priorities are all wrong. stop worrying so much about looks if handling is your primary concern. if its not then please excuse my suggestion and continue focusing on the stance before upgrading your sway bars. lol you never mentioned track times or lap records to break, so one would naturally assume your set up is for street use. if that's the case why would you invest your money on suspension designed by a company who specializes in racing components only ?

For BC to add the word "sport" to the product description is a joke these people don't make OEM shocks so they have no clue what it means to drive on the street lol (unless your track use only) so why even consider this brand. I don't know of any car manufacturer that's equipped with BC shocks or sport shocks. so maybe it has to do with the simple fact that the BC brand has 5-10 years of experience developing racing parts, not OEM parts for street use. Meanwhile cheaper shocks/suspension are available from companies that cater to Mercedes Benz, Lexus, and Toyota. KYB 90+ years, Bilstein 90+ years, BC 10 years ??? decisions decisions lol, but its not hard to realize where your money should go unless getting into accidents is your cup of tea
This is your last warning. Either find a different way to approach subjects and hold intelligent discussions - or you're gone.

·
Super Moderator
5,673 Posts
if that's the case why would you invest your money on suspension designed by a company who specializes in racing components only ?

For BC to add the word "sport" to the product description is a joke these people don't make OEM shocks so they have no clue what it means to drive on the street lol .....................BC brand has 5-10 years of experience developing racing parts, not OEM parts for street use. Meanwhile cheaper shocks/suspension are available from companies that cater to Mercedes Benz, Lexus, and Toyota. KYB 90+ years, Bilstein 90+ years, BC 10 years ???
Once again all wrong............ :bash:

You don't even know who or what BC Racing really is I guess. I do.
If you think $1000 for a set of coilovers is expensive you don't get around much.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BC is better than KYB. I`ve had both. Now I have Bilstein on my Speed. I`ve got a buddy with KW. I suppose $2500 coilovers are overkill for a daily driver (said the people that can`t afford them. BTW, that group includes me).

It`s cool you know the names of some decent brands for suspension. It`s also cool you stand strong for the brands you like. Over the years I`ve run just about every brand you could mention just for the sheer hell of seeing what they`re like. H&R, HKS, Koni, Bilstein, BC, Tein, KYB, Ground control, Tokico, to name a few. They all do what they`re supposed to do. Coilovers generally suck for drag racing, and 90/10 front drag struts tend to suck ass for handling curves.

Rethink the way you come at people, hard charger. You`re coming off like a childish dick who reads too much internet. I`m a pretty nice guy and I honestly don`t give a rat`s ass who you are nor do I need your opinion to validate my choices but if that`s how you are in real life, you`re going to eventually spout off to the wrong person and it`s going to cost you. Take that nickle`s worth of free advice and grow up a little before you run your mouth.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^ Aww man, and I was hoping to see a reply to my last post. I worked hard at teetering on the edge of "back in my day" and "get off my lawn". LOL.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What did i miss?

hahaha....nothin`. Just someone coming in with a head full of internet, being a little big for his britches, then edited what he said after being called out on it. Said person apparently had a history of such behavior. I wasn`t familiar, but the mods apparently are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So coming in very new to the forum, your story caught my eye because I'm interested in suspension mods, and what a delightful surprise this thread turned out to be. :) And glad to see the mods don't mess around. Ain't nobody got time for that attitude.

Jeff looks like you're from my neck of the woods, DFW? Glad to hear you're ok.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So coming in very new to the forum, your story caught my eye because I'm interested in suspension mods, and what a delightful surprise this thread turned out to be. :) And glad to see the mods don't mess around. Ain't nobody got time for that attitude.

Jeff looks like you're from my neck of the woods, DFW? Glad to hear you're ok.

Suspension is so fun. A drag to work on, but the results are great. Just yesterday I got thee H&R coilovers bolted up on my Speed 3 and they use Bilstein shocks and struts. What an absolutely wonderful feeling ride. Smooth and responsive, not jarring at all.

And yep, Arlington. Appreciate the thoughts :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts