2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there is no outlet for an aftermarket radio on the 2014 Mazda3 at this time, I've looked into buying the infotainment unit and the controller from the dealership and swapping out what came in my sport model. Theoretically, the wiring shouldn't be that different between the two units. Has anyone else looked into this?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am confused as to why we cant put normal aftermarket radios in this car.. please forgive my noobness..

When I saw this pic in one the other stereo threads I assumed you could just unbolt it and pull it out that piece of dashboard. You can't?

Is that section of dash not wide enough across for a normal headunit or something?

Couldn't a stereo shop just cut the factory radio out that piece of dashboard, then fiberglass mold the slot for the new deck, then make a custom trim plate?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey! Judging from that pic it does look like it's possible to put an aftermarket single-din headunit in there!

I am confused as to why we cant put normal aftermarket radios in this car.. please forgive my noobness..

When I saw this pic in one the other stereo threads I assumed you could just unbolt it and pull it out that piece of dashboard. You can't?

Is that section of dash not wide enough across for a normal headunit or something?

Couldn't a stereo shop just cut the factory radio out that piece of dashboard, then fiberglass mold the slot for the new deck, then make a custom trim plate?

·
Registered
251 Posts
From that pic it sure looks like you could put a regular DIN head unit there. You'd need someone to fabricate a trim piece though, not trivial if you want it to look decent.

The market for this mod will probably be shrinking so I'm not sure I'd expect to see off the shelf solutions for this. 2014 model year cars saw everything from the i Touring (non-tech package) on down having the non-infotainment head unit. In 2015 model year, the touch screen is standard in the i Touring and i Sport leaving only the base SV without it. And even that will change with the coming rear camera requirement, though they might leave it be another year or two since that doesn't fully take effect until 2018.

That is in the US; if there is a decent chunk of worldwide models that use the non-touchscreen unit, maybe it's enough of a market for an off the shelf trim solution to arise after all. Also they are moving to use the same infotainment unit in Mazda 2 which might mean a few more years of use of that base head unit until the rear camera requirement.

Most people won't be looking to replace the touchscreen infotainment head unit, at lest not anytime soon. So the replacement market is limited to those with the base unit. And only a fraction of those customers will actually replace it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah I don't think its ever been said that replacing it wasn't possible, just not easy since there are no off the shelf kits for it. You would have to get trim custom made for it, and making that look good wouldn't be that easy I don't think.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was thinking just a simple rectangular gloss black acrylic plexiglas trim, to match the gloss black trim on the dashboard.
That is if the single din radio would actually slide in there...

I have a dremel and a ruler, and a 12"x12"x1/8" sheet of gloss black plexi only cost is like $5...
If I do ever bother to upgrade the stereo...

I was happy at least my 2014 iSport actually has a CD player standard. :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just ordered an infotainement head unit, controller and sd card reader out of a wrecked 2014 mazda3, I am trying to see if it will be compatible with my 2014 I sport sedan. I removed the handbrake/ cupholder to see if there is a port for the controller. Can anyone confirm that this is the port for the infotainment controller??

·
Registered
78 Posts
still waiting on the parts, LQK is taking their sweet ass time

·
Zoom Zoomer
1 Posts
Can anyone provide schematics or a picture of the rear of the head unit for the 2014-2015 Infotainment system Touring or Grandtouring trim level?

I am wanting to cast my cellphone onto the tablet display and supposedly there is a 4 pin connector input in the back, but as of today, have been unable to find a picture or print to detail the rear of the head unit.

link, link, link...anyone???

·
The F.N.G.
57 Posts
I am wanting to cast my cellphone onto the tablet display and supposedly there is a 4 pin connector input in the back, but as of today, have been unable to find a picture or print to detail the rear of the head unit.
There is a 4-pin connector back there that carries an LVDS signal to the infotainment screen. I just had one tore apart yesterday testing it. Next time I'll shoot some pics for you guys.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just ordered an infotainement head unit, controller and sd card reader out of a wrecked 2014 mazda3, I am trying to see if it will be compatible with my 2014 I sport sedan. I removed the handbrake/ cupholder to see if there is a port for the controller. Can anyone confirm that this is the port for the infotainment controller??

have you installed the infotainment unit and the controller? is it plug and play?where did you get the unit and controller and for how much? ive been looking and cant find any. i have the 2014 i touring and also thinking of this upgrade. thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
I ordered it from lqk out of a wrecked mazda. Still waiting on the parts :(

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oh ok. How much did you pay if you don't me asking? Did they say it would work or you're just taking a chance? Pls post some pics and details pls when you can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I see LKQ is selling one on eBay for $212. I would pull the trigger but I want to see if the upgrade works. Could you use the touchscreen without the controller?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes you can use the touchscreen without the controller, but if the vehicle is moving the touchscreen is disabled. Now there is a way to hack that. I should be getting it tomorrow. I'll take pictures and keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do you need any special harness or is it all there in the I touring and below? Is there a harness there for the controller also??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts