2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It came out in Nov and no one really confirmed it works with new 4th gen, so I decided to give it a shot and try

It's called carplay2air

It worked without any issues, i was able to open up different apps and play music - still need to do more in depth testing.

82577128_10217316549037989_3784667839126831104_n.jpg
82590849_10217316548917986_8788192472816680960_n.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can someone educate me? I don't understand. Why is this product needed, given the bluetooth connectivity in the M3? I'll admit that I don't use bluetooth between my phone and the car. I use a USB cord. But what problem does this product solve in a M3?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can someone educate me? I don't understand. Why is this product needed, given the bluetooth connectivity in the M3? I'll admit that I don't use bluetooth between my phone and the car. I use a USB cord. But what problem does this product solve in a M3?
It allows for wireless CarPlay, since CarPlay does not actually use Bluetooth connection, but WiFi, although Bluetooth is used to exchange credentials for initial connection, Wifi is then used for the actual connection, and as of this time of writing, only a few cars have OEM support for wireless CarPlay. You might ask then, well Mazda has Wifi in their cars, well because AFAIK it's only 2.4Ghz Wifi and CarPlay requires 5Ghz Wifi.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do think it doesn't make sense if you don't have a wireless charger - it will eat your battery. But with wireless charger / fully charged battery, you get rid of one cable and everything is literally get into the car - boom carplay connected.

The only weird thing I noticed that the mazda logo on Carplay is less deep-grey, its more grayed out. But everything works flawelessly, so far tested music via apple music, siri, making phonecalls, even reading out whatsapp - no difference between the plugged and wireless at all.

I have friends that have BMWs where the connection drops -with this i never got a dropped connection (yet)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does this work with either USB ports? For quick runs to the store this seems like a great idea because I'm lazy and don't feel like taking my phone out of my pocket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Keep in mind that when you connect your iPhone with a cable to either of the USB ports, CarPlay starts in less than 2 seconds. With these wireless dongles it can take over 10 seconds (from what I have read in various different reviews). Also, it's not a flawless solution. There a quite some bugs apparently every now and then which (eventually) up until now get fixed in firmware updates, but that takes time for them to develop, test, and release. Also, I've read that many people experience loss of audio quality and drops in the connection every now and then which for me is a big deal. And finally, Apple does not support these type of products which means that any iOS update can break this 3rd party functionality and the dongle developers never know beforehand if they can work around new bugs in their product or even make the entire thing work again.

So, for the occasional short trips when you don't want to take your iPhone out of your pocket to connect it with a cable it seems to be quite the expensive gadget.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts