2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Found A 17" (OEM) Wheel Option?

85K views 58 replies 23 participants last post by  Jkrs 
#1 · (Edited)
Found A 17" OEM Wheel Option!

Rumor has it the 6-speed manual is on it's way for the 2.5 liter engine, so I'm starting to plan for a newer Mazda 3s. But there isn't a 17" wheel option for the 3rd generation Mazda3, only 16" and 18". The 16" size has an almost non existent summer tire selection, and the 18" summer selection is still below average. And the diameter is too large for my tastes and driving needs.

But if I go with a smaller but wider 17x7.5" from the Mazda 6 base model, that would allow me to run awesome-for-the-street 245/45/17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Or some less expensive 215/50/17 tires. Here is a Mazda 6 base model with 17x7.5" alloys:

Tires in the pictures above are the larger Mazda 6 tires (225/55/17). From what I've found online, the 17" Mazda 6 wheels have the same bolt circle (5x114.3 mm), center bore (67.1 mm), and an offset of 50 mm. The 17" wheel also allows me to run a staggered tire setup if I choose. 245/45/17 in front and 225/50/17 or 215/50/17 in the back, and I'd test this setup in both the dry + wet.

Here's a Mazda 6 17x7.5" accessory wheel with the same dimensions as the 17" Mazda 6 base model. I think it's from the UK. Part number GHP9-V3-810:

Update - Found a 2014 Mazda3 with 2014 Mazda6 Sport 17x7.5" wheels and proper-sized tires (215/50/17):

Here is a 17x7" wheel from a 2008 Mazda Miata MX-5. Owner of the car listed the wheel specs as +55 offset and weight of 17 lbs!

And a variety of 17" Mazda accessory wheels from Mazdashop.ca:
(https://mazdashop.ca/collections/wheels)

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Kevin_G
#2 ·
If we're going there...

I want you to go nuts and rebarrel those 17's into a 17x9 +47 configuration. Run a 5mm spacer up front and 245/40/17. Lots of fun, you shall have.

#7 · (Edited)
Finally found another 2014 Mz3 owner with 2014 Mz6 Sport 17" wheels. I could definitely live with it:

Attachments

Reactions: nanxun
#8 · (Edited)
How heavy are they?

I just picked up some lightly used 17" Miata MX-5 wheels on Craigslist for less than $200. Assuming the 16" alloys are in the 18 lb range, that would make them at least a pound lighter. It's not my first choice of style, but they'll be more durable than cheap aftermarket since they're OEM, and everything bolts up without modification (e.g., no hub centric rings needed). I plan on throwing those on at the end of the week.

#10 · (Edited)
How heavy are they?
I'm not sure, but I would like to know as well.

For the 1st generation Mz3, by going from the newer 17x6.5" snowflake wheels to the older style 16x6.5" 5-spoke, I shaved a massive ~6 lbs per wheel. That weight is also an inch closer to the center and makes my 3 a little quicker in anything that doesn't involve a perfect launch from standstill or topping out on the freeway. It also allowed me to test and stay with a staggered (wider up front) tire fitment, which I found was perfect for dialing down understeer without having to mess with my suspension or alignment. I would place that mod in the same range as getting a lighter flywheel. But I don't expect the 17x7.5" Mz6 Sport wheels to weigh massively less than the Mz3s 18x7" wheels. I like that the 17x7.5" Mazda 6 Sport wheels will also give me that staggered option (245/45/17 in the front and 225/50/17 or 215/50/17 in the back) to test with on the newer 2014/15 Mz3. And yes you brought up another good point - the OEM alloys are more rugged, don't require hubcentric rings, or different lug nuts. And they won't likely get stolen.

Why Mazda chose to ship these cars with 16"s instead of these OEM 17"s is beyond me.
Because Moon Patrol.

I'm picky especially with aftermarket wheels. I wouldn't want to put on any old set unless they were lighter, stronger, higher quality, have a somewhat ideal offset, looked good for my personal tastes, etc. Then there's the whole issue of parking in well lit areas, installing an alarm with long range paging ability, but not molest my factory wiring, etc. Or just go with OEM :cheesy:

I've asked that 2014 Mz3 owner to send me more pics from the side. If he/she does, I'll post them here.

Reactions: Coxis
#11 ·
Finally edited the other pictures of the Mazda 3 with Mazda 6 wheels and uploaded them. Attaching them in this post and adding them to the original post.

Attachments

#12 ·
17 x 7.5 wheels

I am considering the Enkei Fujin (50 offset) and the Konig Feather (45 offset). They both weigh about 17 lbs.

Does anyone think that the Enkei's aren't worth the extra $50 per wheel? Any opinions on whether the difference in offset is significant or noticeable?

Dave

#14 · (Edited)
I am considering the Enkei Fujin (50 offset) and the Konig Feather (45 offset). They both weigh about 17 lbs.

Does anyone think that the Enkei's aren't worth the extra $50 per wheel? Any opinions on whether the difference in offset is significant or noticeable?

Dave
Guess which 17" OEM wheel also weighs about 17 lbs? Miata wheels and they're 7" wide. The spoke design makes it seem like it's 18". Updating original post:

Looks really good!! I would much rather have those rims than the 18" rims from the GT.
Yeah they're a little too big and not that impressive for an 18" design, and the 215/45/18 tire selection is not so good compared to 215/50/17.

Attachments

Reactions: trixx506 and nanxun
#17 ·
I'm running the oem 17s off a 2004 mz3 hatch on my car. Currently have 205/50/17 tires on them right now. Also, why not just switch the oem tires from the 215/45/18 to 225/40/18s. That is what i did with my RX8 wheels and they worked fine. Alot of the rx8 guys did that as well because of the limited choices for tires with the stock size

#26 ·
If you want to go OEM for durability and a direct fit, consider some Hyundai wheels too. The offset, bore, and lug pattern is the same on many of them, as the mazda 3.

I was thinking about putting some 17 inch veloster wheels on the Mazda 3 -- before I went with Enkei. I actually have a beat up pair in my garage. I held them up to the 3, and they looked dang good. I just didn't want to go to the trouble of restoring the finish.

Attachments

#29 ·
2006 Miata 17x7 OEMs

Got a line on a set of 17x7 wheels off a 2006 MX-5.

As I understand it, these weigh 17 lbs. each.

Seller's asking for "$200" but doesn't specify whether that's per wheel or for the entire set. I'm presuming it's per wheel, or $800 for the set because $200 for a set of 4 rims in "excellent" condition would be too good to be true.

But I'm wondering if I might be missing any other red flags? Any thoughts or advice to offer would be both welcome and much appreciated.

Here's the Craigslist ad: Mazda Mx5 wheels 5x4.5/ 5x114.3 - $200

#30 ·
I'd take that as $200 for all four. I've seen other people put oem wheels on craigslist for that cheap before just so they can sell them locally. I'd pick them up if it was me.

#32 · (Edited)
Seller just confirmed that it's $200 for the set. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger this weekend. First time doing this, so I'm both excited and a little nervous.

Here's what I have for specs:

rim size: 17x7
offset: 55 mm et
bolt pattern: 5 x 114.3
center bore: ?
weight: 17 lbs (Can this be right?)

How does one confirm on the spot that the specs for the wheels are right?

Anything else I should be looking for (besides bent rims)? Noobie questions, I know. Sorry.

#40 · (Edited)
Just got my 17 inch miata set!!

Hi guys,

I've been looking at this thread for a long time and finally decided to get some Miata wheels for my m3

After waiting several months for some to appear on Craigslist and finally last week I completed the set!

After some curb rash repair and paint (15 bucks each) they look like this (I photoshopped them, cant mount them just yet need to save more $$$ for the tires :/ )

Check the album here: M3 damekko - Album on Imgur

What do you guys think???

#42 ·
Very nice! Thx for sharing the pics. :thumbup1 1:

I've got a set of these, but am waiting for my stock tires to wear out before mounting the 17s.

May I ask what tires you chose and if you're using any spacers (to deal with the +55 offset on the Miata rims)?

#45 ·
Hi!

Couldn't help it and bought today the wheels for my M3, i went with some hankook ventus v2 225/50r17, didn't result like the marvelous photoshopped image, but it doesn't look bad either.

i attach some pics, later i'll upload some more with better angles.

I have to say that the car feels a tad lighter when accelerating (like when the gas tank is empty), the turn in is definetly faster, also i can feel the bumps on the road but not in bad way (no "tump" effect).

#47 ·
Wow, those look great! Thanks so much for sharing your driving impressions as well as the additional pics.

I had assumed (wrongly!) that you were doing a +1 (going from 16-inch to 17-inch), but now see that you were actually doing a -1 (going from the 18-inch stockers down to the 17-inch Miata wheels). Very nice. :thumbup1 1:

I am stoked by this and can't wait for my OEM wheels to need replacements. :grin2: (Currently at 20k miles, so probably will be replacing w/in the year.)

Thanks again for your feedback!

Reactions: damekko
#48 ·
Ok doing some math

Previous wheel/tire combo
18" wheels = 28 lbs
18" tire 215/45 = 20 lbs
Total = 48 lbs

New
17" mx5 wheels = 17 lbs
17" hankook 225/50 = 19 lbs (this was a surprise)
Total = 36 lbs

I took the weight using a bathroom scale so maybe not accurate enough

BUT I can be 100% -scientifically- sure that the weight loss did affect performance positively, my wife took the car to work today and when she returned home said that the car felt "lighter" and she had to be careful with the steering wheel. Also this was on a full tank!

:)

#50 ·
Hi, sorry for answering so late, today i will post a close up pic.

However i havent had any issues whatsoever regarding braking, recalling from my mind i think i have more than 3mm of space between the spokes and the brakes, possibly because of the different wheel design? The ones on the other posts have somewhat rounded + curvy spokes, and the ones i have are straight....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.