2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Very nice! Thx for sharing the pics. :thumbup1 1:

I've got a set of these, but am waiting for my stock tires to wear out before mounting the 17s.

May I ask what tires you chose and if you're using any spacers (to deal with the +55 offset on the Miata rims)?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Very nice! Thx for sharing the pics. :thumbup1 1:

I've got a set of these, but am waiting for my stock tires to wear out before mounting the 17s.

May I ask what tires you chose and if you're using any spacers (to deal with the +55 offset on the Miata rims)?
Hi! Thanks for your feedback.

I'm plannning on getting some 225 50 17, probably gonna go with some hankooks Evo , here in Mexico potholes are massive and I only drive in the city , I don't get to highways very often. Also I don't want to invest much on tires because there's an 80% chance that will get damaged in less than 6 months x.x or if I can get some insurance for some michelins then I'll get those

About the spacer I need to meticulously measure the gap when mounted so I can buy it probably gonna go with some 5mm since I don't want to change to longer studs, but I don't know yet

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Hi! Thanks for your feedback.

I'm plannning on getting some 225 50 17, probably gonna go with some hankooks Evo , here in Mexico potholes are massive and I only drive in the city , I don't get to highways very often. Also I don't want to invest much on tires because there's an 80% chance that will get damaged in less than 6 months x.x or if I can get some insurance for some michelins then I'll get those

About the spacer I need to meticulously measure the gap when mounted so I can buy it probably gonna go with some 5mm since I don't want to change to longer studs, but I don't know yet
Hey there, @damekko Thanks so much for your response. The new Miata (NC?) wheels look fantastic, and I'm really encouraged. Now I can't wait to get mine mounted.

Wondering if you can feel the effects of dropping a good amount of unsprung weight on each corner?

Also, given your reply, I'm assuming that the profile pic you posted shows the Miata rims mounted w/out spacers. If so, wondering if you might have any shots of the new wheels from an angle that shows how flush (or not) they are to the wheel-wells? (I didn't see any such pics in the album you posted earlier.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi!

Couldn't help it and bought today the wheels for my M3, i went with some hankook ventus v2 225/50r17, didn't result like the marvelous photoshopped image, but it doesn't look bad either.

i attach some pics, later i'll upload some more with better angles.

I have to say that the car feels a tad lighter when accelerating (like when the gas tank is empty), the turn in is definetly faster, also i can feel the bumps on the road but not in bad way (no "tump" effect).

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Another pic, I love this stance
Wow, those look great! Thanks so much for sharing your driving impressions as well as the additional pics.

I had assumed (wrongly!) that you were doing a +1 (going from 16-inch to 17-inch), but now see that you were actually doing a -1 (going from the 18-inch stockers down to the 17-inch Miata wheels). Very nice. :thumbup1 1:

I am stoked by this and can't wait for my OEM wheels to need replacements. :grin2: (Currently at 20k miles, so probably will be replacing w/in the year.)

Thanks again for your feedback!

Reactions: damekko

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok doing some math

Previous wheel/tire combo
18" wheels = 28 lbs
18" tire 215/45 = 20 lbs
Total = 48 lbs

New
17" mx5 wheels = 17 lbs
17" hankook 225/50 = 19 lbs (this was a surprise)
Total = 36 lbs

I took the weight using a bathroom scale so maybe not accurate enough

BUT I can be 100% -scientifically- sure that the weight loss did affect performance positively, my wife took the car to work today and when she returned home said that the car felt "lighter" and she had to be careful with the steering wheel. Also this was on a full tank!

:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, sorry for answering so late, today i will post a close up pic.

However i havent had any issues whatsoever regarding braking, recalling from my mind i think i have more than 3mm of space between the spokes and the brakes, possibly because of the different wheel design? The ones on the other posts have somewhat rounded + curvy spokes, and the ones i have are straight....

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
OMG, i had not veryfied the space between the brakes and the wheels at the front , but i can see that they are DANGEROUSLY CLOSE, probably like 2 mm (Couldnt get ahold of a measurement tool), on the rear the space is abundant.

Attaching pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
OMG, i had not veryfied the space between the brakes and the wheels at the front , but i can see that they are DANGEROUSLY CLOSE, probably like 2 mm (Couldnt get ahold of a measurement tool), on the rear the space is abundant.

Attaching pics.
Yikes! Are you now planning on running some spacers on the front?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yikes! Are you now planning on running some spacers on the front?
I definetly will, i'll probably gonna go with:

Front: 5mm Hubcentric bolt on.
Rear: 10 - 15 mm the lug nuts version.

I went for my 30k service last friday and i did ask a technitian and said they were ok just as they are, but probably with new brake pads (mine have 1/2 life still) the space will be reduced and probably it's gonna be an issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Awesome thread... I find the 3's look best with 17's to my eye... 16 good but little small, 18 good but little large, 17 perfect ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
NC 17x7 235/45/17 Pilot Sport A/S 3+

I put 17lb OEM MX5 NC2 17x7 rims on my 2017 Mazda3 over the weekend. 235/45R17 tires are a little wider than optimal for steering feel (and the spec - I know, I know... I'm risking life and limb :death: ) but provide good rim protection and brought the speedometer back to being correct instead of reading 1 mph low, which is why I didn't want to go with the taller 225/50/17. OE MX5 rims are 55 offset instead of 50 but I can't feel the difference and it isn't visually obvious. I run maxed out (~-1.2*) camber bolts in the front and there is more than a finger of clearance from strut to wheel and tire. The tighter clearance is the rear toe arm at the front edge of the rear tire and that's less than a finger. I have no rubbing over bumps or with aggressive driving and caliper clearances look fine. The combo is 8lbs per corner lighter than the stock 18's (43 vs 51 on my scale) and the ride quality and grip are a completely different level. Obviously the A/S 3's on stock wheels would be a big improvement, too. I wish the car would have come with this combo (ideally 17x7.5 offset 50, of course...). I know this thread has been quiet for a long time but it's still the first resource that came up when I went to put new wheels on the car. Cheers!

Attachments

41 - 57 of 57 Posts