2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part 1: The Issue (2016 Mazda 3 / 55,000 miles)
Hello, my name is Mark and this is actually my first post. Recently, I had an issue where my wiper motor kinda just gave out...or so I thought. As I am actually a mechanic I went ahead and got dirty, started checking the standard things related to wiper issues (fuses, grounds, continuity of cables and wiper stalk) and still NOTHING I basically thought a rat had just chewed the wires and I would need to completely dismantle the fuse box (which is VERY time consuming and tedious). Finally out of frustration I looked up wiring diagrams and that's when I figured it out! There is a component in the front fuse box called the front "body controller module" or "BCM" its a computer chip module that controls various functions like washer motor power/wiper motors actuation and power/etc. This module legitimately takes 30 seconds to remove (held in by two little thumb tabs). Since everything else looked to be in working order I thought I would start there.

Part 2: The Burning Wallet
So the next day I called up the dealership (yes I know more like stealership) I like doing it for fun mostly and to determine if they are knowledgeable, and let me tell you they are not. These hustlers quoted me $400... like what...that is absolutely insane! I asked him if that includes labor and he told me yeah it would take a while to "get to the part" I asked him again if he knew what I was talking about, again he explained "It should only take us about an hour to get to it" I laughed over the call and told him I got it out in 30 seconds and he got very quiet. Eventually I asked for the standalone part cost and they still quoted me $300 (which doesn't even make sense as he said hourly rate was $140 so the part would have been 260~ish). Since I'm broke, young, and don't like being swindled I went with alternative routes.

Part 3: Resolution
Save your money, time, and worry go to local pick a part or salvage yard. They even have vehicle inventory catalogs online so you can check if they have your vehicle. The BCM ran about 30 bucks, and guess what it fixed my wipers!

Part 4: Morals
What I have learned is that you should never go to the dealer even today... some things just don't change. It will always be more cost effective to either buy your parts online or at a pick a part/salvage yard if you are broke like me and just do it yourself.

Let me know if you have had the same issue and if swapping the BCM fixed the issue! Perhaps with enough issues Mazda may need to be notified as electronics shouldn't fail within such a short time.

Thanks, hope I helped.

·
Registered
301 Posts
DIY for the win! Great job Lemurmarco, and thank for posting to save others money as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does this fix all wiper motor issues?

I have an intermittent issue when it's raining out (never an issue while snowing though?) where the wiper blades wipe normally, but when they return "home" they return 3/4 of the way down the windshield. Then when they activate first, they go down fully and then all the way to the top, then return to that "home" position 3/4 of the way down the windshield again. This all happens in the choose your own speed mode. (I forget what it's actually called, but it's the first click down on the wiper stalk)

It's intermittent and I have no idea of predicting when it will happen. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It tends to happen when there's more of a sprinkle or mist outside-- not so much when there is a total downpour.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does this fix all wiper motor issues?

I have an intermittent issue when it's raining out (never an issue while snowing though?) where the wiper blades wipe normally, but when they return "home" they return 3/4 of the way down the windshield. Then when they activate first, they go down fully and then all the way to the top, then return to that "home" position 3/4 of the way down the windshield again. This all happens in the choose your own speed mode. (I forget what it's actually called, but it's the first click down on the wiper stalk)

It's intermittent and I have no idea of predicting when it will happen. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It tends to happen when there's more of a sprinkle or mist outside-- not so much when there is a total downpour.
Sounds like one of two things are happening. Also does your Mazda have "auto" or "rain sensing" wipers?

1.) Your home or "park" position may be incorrect making the wipers think they are at their starting point 3/4 down, like you state. Turn the car on and make sure the wiper are at their resting position. Then pop the wiper covers loosen the nuts holding the blades, remove the wipers and re-position, on my Mazda 3 my start position is where the black frame tint and clear glass meet at the bottom of the windshield. (should take 10 minutes max with the right tool)

2.) You may have issues with your wiper transmission and or crank arm (which is connected to the wiper motor underbelly) being in the wrong clock position. Make sure the arms joints are lubricated and that they rotate in the proper orientation. Keep in mind the arms need some "play" or move-ability but they shouldn't be rattling, shuttering, or clinking. In any case you may need to fiddle with arms and do some digging this may take you a bit longer around 30-??? minutes depending on what you find.

I highly doubt your issue is electrical as your wiper motor has power, the Body control module that I mentioned earlier involves motor power/actuation, seeing the motor activates and has power I wouldn't start there.

Lemme know and good luck!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think lemurmarco is onto something as it pertains to rain sensing wipers. If you have it set to "on" in your infotainment settings, I would turn them off and start from there. If not currently on...turn it on and off. I don't know the wiper schematics but I see a possible relay issue....maybe a factory reset could also resolve. Also, have you ever replaced the windshield or had any other trauma to the windshield sensors.

·
Registered
720 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts