2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2017 Mazda 3 Touring sedan - and I have to say I really like the car. It replaces a 2002 BMW 325xi - and I have to say - it has a grin factor nearly as large as the Bimmer - without the large price tag. I'm hopeful to keep this car as long as the BMW (15 years).

With that in mind, what preventative maintenance issues has this forum learned that can be applied to my new purchase? For example, I've heard that the paint chips easily. Should I purchase a bra or some type of shield to prevent this type of damage? I've already noticed one small chip - and I'd like to avoid others. What do you folks think I should do here?

What other examples exist - given that this current generation has been out since 2014? My BMW had a known issue with brake lines corroding (common in the Northeast for many cars, but especially this car). I applied Fluid Film to avoid that problem, albeit later than I should have. Is there a common area for rust to watch for? Is there leaks that develop over multiple years that I can avoid by installing a replacement gasket ahead of time (my BMW oil housing gasket was notorious for leaking and making a HUGE mess - luckily I learned about it before it happened to me).

What don't I know that I should with respect to these types of preventative car aspects?

Thanks in advance - this forum has been a huge help.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Over the last 38 years I've owned a total of six BMWs for most of that time, and since you're a former BMW owner I'll point you to Mike Miller's Lifetime Maintenance Schedule for BMWs. I believe it's an excellent starting point for Mazdas as well. You can download it here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwibi7-3y_rTAhXpj1QKHaTzD68QFggmMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dslreports.com%2Fr0%2Fdownload%2F2294029~a7ccced57c514756e4c445baa2542b06%2FLifetime%2520Maintenance%2520Schedule%2520v03.13.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHy1V8V9GgiehvF8kyU2BbSVbVZDA

Mike's tome doesn't deal with issues like paint protection - I'd recommend doing whatever you can afford in that regard. Don't forget the headlamp assemblies!

A couple of things you'll notice if you carefully read through your Mazda maintenance schedule and Mike's schedule is that Mazda has no recommendation for either brake fluid replacement/change/flush, nor for transmission fluid change. I recommend following Mike's recommendations for both, at least as a starting point as you build your own maintenance schedule. At a minimum, change your brake fluid out every two years, and your transmission fluid every 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good idea on the headlights! I put protectors on my BMW when I got it. 15 years later and the headlights are still original - and while the cover itself has some pits - a replacement of those and everything is perfect again. Way cheaper than entire headlight assembly.

Yes, fluid changes aren't always mentioned in manufacturer's schedules. BMW called their transmission fluid lifetime - no such thing! Same with coolant and brake fluids. Thanks for responding and your recommendations!

·
Registered
703 Posts
All the Japanese cars I've owned have run fine and very reliably just following the recommended service schedule using OEM parts. My new Mazda 3 European service schedule specifies replacing the brake fluid every 2 years / 25k miles. I also turn off istop every trip since I find it irritating and to save wear and tear on the battery and starter motor.

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
Get a clear film put on the front before its too late! I have a relative who ALWAYS buys those black bras for the front end of their cars...and to be honest I'd rather have a chipped up front end than have to drive around with one of those things on the car. Then when it rains the moisture gets trapped underneath and makes it worse. I find those silly. But the clear film doesnt change the appearance, itll just protect. I think the dealer offers it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you're in a northern climate rust spraying won't hurt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts