2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the dipstick on my 3s 2.5 says FoMoCo. I though the 2.5 was a Mazda built/ designed engine and the J in the VIN code (J meaning my car was made in Japan) meant it had mostly Mazda parts. I also believe Ford now owns less of Mazda.

·
Parts test dummy
823 Posts
The MZR engine is designed by Mazda with FoMoCo parts bin in mind. The MZR was born from the heavy partnership between FoMoCo and Mazda but now that they have a lesser stake in Mazda and have stopped sharing the parts bin, all the new designs and engines that are coming down the line are 100% Mazda. You can see this way of thinking with the Nagare design, ever since they officially cut ties last year the Mazda designs have become more edgy and more of their own brand.

·
Registered
750 Posts
When I did the first oil change on my car it had a FoMoCo oil filter! It didn't bother me any...I just found it kind of funny to get under my brand new Mazda and find an oil filter with the Mazda logo and the Ford name spelled out on it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There are a lot of parts on this car from Ford. Brake Calipers, various suspension parts. The 2.5 is used in the Ford Fusion and Ford Escape. The platform of the vehicle is shared between the Mazda 3, Ford Focus and the Volvo S-40 As for the design of the vehicle, it has nothing to do with Fords Stake in Mazda, this car was on the drawing board long before Ford reduced its investment in Mazda. As for Ford & Mazda not sharing the parts bin as much, I doubt it. The 2011 Fiesta and Mazda 2 are almost the same car parts wise and the 2012 Focus will still be on a Mazda based platform. The Fusion, Milan and MKZ share many platform components with the Mazda 6. The CX-7 and CX-9 share some components with the Ford Edge. Ford builds the Mustang in a Mazda Factory in Flatrock, MI. I think ties between Mazda and Ford are still pretty tight.

·
Newb... =)
745 Posts
Even the rear camber arms has FoMoCo on it..:tongue:

·
Registered
191 Posts
thats good...because i dont like ford..
If you don't like Ford you should sell your Mazda, like others have stated its pretty much the same as the european focus and the S40.:eek:hsnap 1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts