2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got finished installing my sub, but forgot to reconnect my the cable that goes to the electronic trunk release. Is there any way to fold the rear seats down from the inside or am I just screwed? I have a 2014 Mazda 3 sedan sGT.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do you have your manual? It's on 7-40, with pictures for you. It'll show you where to access to open the trunk from the inside of the car.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't think there is a way to open it from the inside unfortunately. As soon as I read this thread I went to check my sTouring Sedan if there was some kind of release latch inside the cabin for lowing the rear seats, but there was not. There are only tie down hooks located behind the headrests. To which is where I would assume the release latch would be located if there was one for lowering the seats down inside the cabin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for you help guys. I did some more searching last night and was able to find this post from vieravy that has pictures of the appropriate pages of the manual.

If anyone ever encounters this problem in the future, also I've attached detailed photos showing the process.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 iTouring 4-door. My battery died recently, and the only way to get my jumper cables out of the trunk was through the rear seat, using the process described in Cubd's post. Part of that process involves unscrewing and removing a plastic cap to acccess the lever. When I was done, I tried to replace the plastic cap, but I was unable to position it correctly, and whole thing is positioned such that it's extremely difficult to even see what I'm doing. The manual doesn't actually say anything about replacing the cap, but it does say, following the removal instructions: "After performing this emergency measure, have the vehicle inspected at an Authorized Mazda Dealer as soon as possible."

Is this not intended to be a user-replaceable part? What purpose does the plastic cap even serve? Should I bother trying to replace it in the first place? Do I need to contact the dealership?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dead thread, but very important one for sedan owners.

I just bought a portable jump starter and put it in my trunk and I did a mental exercise:

Due to the bad design flaw of not really being able to put the rear seats down from inside the cabin, and having the trunk release switch be electronic and not mechanical: if you put jumper cables in your trunk, you better hope you also have a screw driver in your cabin, so that you can follow this procedure when your battery is dead and you can't get to your jumper cables because the trunk won't open.

I love this car, but this will be a huge problem if you are ever stranded and are not prepared.

Portable jumper is now in the cabin, but unfortunately, that's where it gets really hot and the jumper battery shouldn't be exposed to such high temperatures. Ugh. Why can't the rear seats just be opened from the inside without going through arcane and extreme measures?!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts