2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone but LED bulbs in the factory foglight housing of the 2nd gen with the anti-glare shield?

im thinking of putting something like this into my fog but it has a the metal anti-glare shield and not sure if it would get in the way

* one of my tabs broke as you can see, but i think it'll still be okay

·
Working Class Hero
3,548 Posts
Looks to me like the shield will effectively block the light output of the led bulb. Since those bulbs emit light to the sides, I would pull the shield so the faceted parabolic reflectors can direct the light.

This is not an endorsement, so let's not get the debate going on lighting morality.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks to me like the shield will effectively block the light output of the led bulb. Since those bulbs emit light to the sides, I would pull the shield so the faceted parabolic reflectors can direct the light.

This is not an endorsement, so let's not get the debate going on lighting morality.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I wonder if there is a small enough scissor I can put in there to cut off the sides. Cause I don’t want to bake my housing to remove the lens

·
Super Moderator
5,092 Posts
The shield is there for a reason. Take off the shields and you get more light going where you don't want it to go. You don't want the fog lights casting uncontrolled light everywhere. They aren't driving lights. They are only supposed to illuminate a short distance in front of the car.

If your new bulbs are made the same way as the halogens - ie have the emitters positioned in the same spot in the reflector as the filaments in the old bulbs- they should work in the same manner provided the emitters are at the 9 and 3 position. If the bulbs are different, they won't work either way. Don't start cutting things apart until you understand how the bulbs will work. You might not like the results and once you remove the parts theres no way back......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts