2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the fog lights for Skyactiv MZ3 (12' i touring) today, so it took me and my dad 5 hours (we're noobs nor mechanically inclined).. Sorry, I didn't post pictures on the each step of the installation, but I have post the scanned copy of the instruction manual for the fogs for your reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here is my addendum on how to take off the front bumper with pictures and captions included:

First, move the steering wheel to the right so the wheel does not get in the way while removing these screws on the left wheel well (also remove the fasteners with the screws).

Second, do the same thing on the right side and move the steering wheel on the opposite direction and remove the screws (and fasteners too).

Third, Go drive up to the ramp or jack up the front so you can have easier access to the bottom of the front bumper.

Fourth, remove the 8 mm hex screw on the top of the wheel well and do the same thing on the other side too.

Fifth, remove the three 8 mm hex screws on the side near the wheel well (do not remove the tapping screw!), and do the same thing on the other side.

Sixth, remove three 10 mm hex screws on the top center portion of the bottom of the front bumper.

Seventh, pop the hood, and you will find these fasteners and two screws holding the front bumper on. So, remove the fasteners (I used two flat head screwdrivers to pop out the fasteners--not a good idea, get a fastener remover tool) as shown the pic below, and the two screws.

Finally, remove the sides of the front bumper (you should hear the clips popping out) and move it forward carefully (the wire for the fog light is attached to the bumper, so unplug the connector before setting down to the ground).

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just discovered that I damaged the passenger side fog light cover...

Probably from trying to park into snow-banked parking spot during snow days. To fix, I am going to remove the front bumper when the weather is a bit warmer... I may decide to install the fog light. Let's hope the tapping screw did not come loose. If it did, then I am just going to super glue cover and forget the fog light replacement.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Weather was good, so I removed the front bumper. I put the car on jack stand and removed the wheels since I had electric impact wrench and I also wanted to use the power tools to remove the screws.

As expected, salts everywhere, even though I washed the car from outside using power spray. I washed off the salt and applied dielectric grease on the ground connectors at the right upper corner.

What the frontr looks-alike without the bumper

The inside the bumper. AND DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I MADE. Get a soft material that is as long as the entire length of the bumper to rest the bumper on. I only used a small cardboard to set the bumper and I actually scratched the bumper a bit due to dirt/grime on top of the cardboard.

The damaged area from when trying to park into a snow-banked parking space

I fixed it using hot water (actually boiling water) to soften the plastic. (poured inside, not on the paint side) then used my hands to reshape the soft plastic and while holding the shaped asked a helper to pour ice cold water around the area. Voila - it's fixed!

Still debating on if I should install fog light or not...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.