2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Out of curiosity I was checking my fog lights today and I noticed there was condensation inside! I never noticed this on the stock fog ligh bulbs and I recently switched to VLEDS 5K LED's.

Is this normal? Or is it perhaps because I switched to LED's?

I was thinking that the normal bulb produces more heat and if there were to be any humidity it would vaporized, with LED's not creating that much heat then humidity stays trapped inside... that is my opinion of course, just a wild guess lol

Any input is always welcome! And as well any ideas on how to fix this would be awesome!

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
maybe there is a bad seal on the bulb?

i have aftermarket fog lights and the first thing i did was used high-temp silicon to ensure the glass was sealed to the housing completely. Sometimes aftermarket units aren't built to the highest standards, but I would be surprised if that was the case with your OEM foglights, which is why I suggested the aftermarket bulb's seal

·
Working Class Hero
3,624 Posts
Check to make sure your bulb holders sealed in the lamp housing.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So for now I did a layer of rubber tape around the tabs that seal the fog light with the housing, and it seems to be working :)
The OEM housing is a piece of crap with all due respect lol. The OEM Philips fog lights had a tighter seal when installing, meanwhile the VLEDS seem to have a far less tighter seal producing the condensation.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump!

Hello guys,I'm kindly requesting your help! after installing VLED'S fog lights into the OEM fog lights housing, some fogging is occurring. In my first post I mentioned condensation but that was a bigger issue, now my issue is fogging on the lower part of the fog lights glass. I also sealed the circumference of the VLED'S Fog lights with rubber tape but that doesn't seem to be the issue here. According to OSRAM car blog fogging is normal (but the situation still bothers me) :

https://www.carlightblog.com/2014/06/24/fogging-the-ultimate-guide/

I have checked the OEM Housing and it looks like there are 2 ventilation holes in the top and bottom.The fogging only happens when I turn on the fog lights and it only happens on the bottom lower part of the glass. If the fog lights are off regardless of weather temperature there is no fogging.When there is fog inside the glass and I switch the fog light off, after a couples of minutes the fogging disappears.

My theory here is since the LED fog lights produce light but enough heat and their direct light is partially blocked by the middle "roundish" trim metal inside the housing, the fogging humidity is not able to evaporate and disappear through the ventilation holes, affecting that specific lower area, leading me to believe that this is the cause of the problem. (Also like I stated before, the OEM Fog light housing is utterly crap, mainly design to work with halogen bulbs)

Therefore:

1- How can I permanently fix this issue?

2- I've been searching for Morimoto Type Z everywhere but they are sold out and they are not producing them anymore, does anybody here knows where I can buy them if this option would be necessary?

3- Anyone has experience this issue when switching to LED's on stock OEM Fog light housing?

I will post a picture later on...

Thank you for your help! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
I just installed LED on my Mazda 3 2015 Fog lights and it´s happening the same: fogging on the lower part of the fog lights glass.

I have been looking for some answer / solutions, reading all kind of possible causes because it never happen with halogen bulbs.
Yes, you are right: as on LED lighting is direct, it does not cover all the refracting carcass, so there are shadow areas inside of the lamp as also on the glass and where is not light, fogging comes up.

I almost send back LED kit due not very good product but it is another reality

I am evaluating to buy Philips Diamond Vision White 5000K - 27W Fog Light Bulb Lamp, refracting light will cover the whole carcass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts