2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just received my XB fogs from TRS today. Their build quality is amazing and the light output is WIDE and AWESOME. If I leave them on factory position it will blind pedestrians a bit so I had to cut the tabs on the adjustment bolt and tilt them down a little (2/3 of the way down). Now they are even with the OEM HID cut-off line and works great. Worth every penny.:nerd:
IMG_1285.JPG

I've always liked how some cars these days will dim or turn off their DRL temporarily when that side of the turn signal is on. Usually it's because the DRL and turn signal are in the same housing and dimming the DRL will improve the turn signal visibility. Our cars' fog lights and turn signals are really close together too and with my previous COB fog lights being really bright, I noticed many times in the reflections of the vehicle in front that the turn signal didn't really stand out when the fogs were on. After reading this inspiring post @mad2clam and learning how car relays work I came up with this with my limited electrical knowledge.
circuit design.jpg

What you may need:
- 2 H11 extension adapters
- 2 standard relays
- 2 delay relays
- your favorite gauge of wire and types of connectors and splice tabs
- misc tools like wire stripers/crimper, small screw drivers, scissors etc.

The key part is the delay relays which cost around $3 on ebay but I didn't want to wait so I got them from Amazon at $8.5 each. Depends on which kind you get, we'll need to configure or change the jumpers to what works in our scenario, which is DC, delay on, time set around 0.6sec
IMG_1290.JPG

The rest is really easy just use your best method to connect everything up. I used H11 adapters because I want to be as nonintrusive as possible so all the wiring are done on the adapters instead of on factory wires. I used silicone sealant(for plumbing) to weatherproof the delay relay circuit boards but ideally you should use conformal coating or weather-tight enclosures. To access the fogs and turn signal wirings in the car, pop the fog light covers off from the front. There's no need to go from the wheel wells. Finally we need to tighten everything down inside the bumper, you'll find holes in there where you can just use zip ties.

End Result

Overall nothing is really hard and it's fun for me to spend 3hrs achieving exactly what I wanted. I'm not sure how long this setup will last or if there's some off-the-shelf relays that can already do this so please let me know what you guys think :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I should have mine in this week, I guess it takes a bit longer to get them to Canada. Are you running stock HID bulbs? If so how do they match up colour wise?

2015 Sport GT 2.5 MT, Soul Red, Blk Lthr, Autoexe Steering Wheel, OEM Roof rack, (soon) TRS XB LED Fog Lights

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have mine in this week, I guess it takes a bit longer to get them to Canada. Are you running stock HID bulbs? If so how do they match up colour wise?

2015 Sport GT 2.5 MT, Soul Red, Blk Lthr, Autoexe Steering Wheel, OEM Roof rack, (soon) TRS XB LED Fog Lights
You'll love them. Compares to my stock HIDs the colors aren't an exact match. The fogs looked like 5-6k so they are little bluer than the 4300k factory HIDs. It looks like they match the factory DRL color pretty well though so if you make the fogs independent it will look great during the day too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice to know I'm not the only Liquid silver with a body kit. It really does contrast well with the body.
I agree the body kit makes the car look a lot nicer and more JDM. However what you saw was my poser kit. I just sprayed the lower part of my bumper with black plasti dip so it looked like a front lip. Good to know it tricked you though :laugh2:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I think it's great. it actually works and looks great with fogs off during signaling. I received and installed my fogs yesterday and love them too :D I have CBI low beams and the fogs are still a bit whiter than them, even though CBI are at 5000k and fogs are 5000k too, maybe it's more like 5500k. These are definitely a great improvement over stock and that you can actually tell the difference in light output.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's great. it actually works and looks great with fogs off during signaling. I received and installed my fogs yesterday and love them too :D I have CBI low beams and the fogs are still a bit whiter than them, even though CBI are at 5000k and fogs are 5000k too, maybe it's more like 5500k. These are definitely a great improvement over stock and that you can actually tell the difference in light output.
:thumbup1:Great info. I'll have a pair of CBIs ready to replace my stock bulbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts