2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I got a 2016 SGT.I hate that the fog light bulbs do not match the Oem hid lights, what bulbs are you guys putting in to match the Oem lights. I just want to change the bulbs in the factory fogs.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hi Cyclone3, I get your feeling, I also think the fog lights are awful, in terms of brightness, appearance and output the stock fog lights don't do that much.

So I've been searching too and I'm thinking about getting these fog lights:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2NHLTI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Other members here can recommend you better options definitely. I know Morimoto offer good sets (Projector and lights)but they can be quiet expensive.

Also, according to what I read on the forums, many people prefer having LED fog lights than HID fog lights but that is up to you of course.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Before I swapped to the morimoto LED projectors, I used philips ultinon 6000k LED bulbs which matched the LED DRL in color. Output was same as stock and there was no glare. The trick is to cut the little notch that holds the fog light in place so you can swivel it up and down, adjusting the aim. I aimed mine up a bit and it made quite a big difference. Just don't aim it too high that it'll start blinding oncoming traffic haha

·
Registered
690 Posts
Fog lights by definition are for use in fog or similar weather that makes it hard to see the side of the road so you can stay safely on the road. Some folks raise the fog lights to point more upward so they can see more distance, but that's not the purpose of the fog lights and if done incorrectly, can cause vision problems for on-coming drivers. Also, fog lights that are raised too high can cause a light bounce-back or reflection-glare effect in fog, thus retarding the driver's ability to see.

About the color. Traditionally, fog lights often were colored to have a yellow tint because many people find it kinder to the eyes with less of a glare. Some feel the whiter-tented lights provide better vision, which I think is a psychological thing, but it can also lead to more reflection glare in conditions that inhibit the ability of light to penetrate. This is often the case in weather with fog, snow, sleet or heavy rain.

With the advent of so many types of lighting, it's natural for folks to want all their lights to have the same color, which is a psychological thing. In order to do this, it's best to match the types of lights together. For instance, if the headlights are halogen, the fogs should be halogen too if the colors are to match or at least come close. If the headlights are HIDs or LEDs, the fog lights also should be those respective types if the colors are to be matched. But as noted, there are some disadvantages of color matching, too.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also want to change the front parking light bulbs too, how do you change the bulbs in there too ? The bulbs are a 7440 bulb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts