2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a problem with the radio of my Mazda. Sometimes, the radio reception suddenly goes very weak on all channels. The only way to get the reception back is to unscrew/screw back the antenna or to disconnect the connector under the roof and connect it again.

I have replaced the antenne two times, but this doesn't seems to help. Strange thing is, removing and placing back the antenne or disconnect the connector both seems to fix the problem for a hour. It seems the tuner get's in some state and it resets it when the signal goes away and back.

Does someone recognize this? I have a Mazda 2 from 2016, it has the same audio unit as a Mazda 3 . .

·
Registered
40 Posts
do you have some aftermarket LEDs (i.e. interior lighting) installed?
i had issue with FM radio reception, and once I removed LEDs problems disappeared.
not sure why :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I have the (original) halogen ligths. The problem doesn't change if I change my lighting settings too.

I know the issue although, LED's can make some high frequency distortion that can disturb FM broadcast. I know this problem in my house with cheap LED lights . .

·
Registered
703 Posts
Could be a problem with the cable between the antenna and tuner?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I use a CB radio when driving on the highway and place a magnet-mounted shortwave antenna on the roof for it. When I first started using this setup on my 2015 Mazda3, I ran the shortwave antenna's coax cable across the rear window and into the trunk. With the coax located there, my factory radio's AM and FM reception was drastically reduced, I suppose because the factory antenna is in the rear glass. So, I no long run the shortwave antenna's coax across the back window, and the factory radio has resumed its excellent reception.

This story doesn't seem to relate to your problem. I recite it only to show that the factory antenna is sensitive to a coax cable from a nearby auxiliary antenna even though the coax is not physically touching the factory's antenna.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts