2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Mazda 3 Skyactive Manual Transmission

I've had an odd problem come up. The car just passed 50,000 miles.

Recently, when I decelerate with the clutch engaged (engine braking), my headlights go through several cycles of becoming dimmer and brighter, before returning to normal. The dimming-brightening cycles occur at intervals of around 1 second... perhaps a bit less.

This happens only when slowing down with the clutch engaged. I notice it especially when downshifting into 3rd and 2nd gears. Or it will happen if I remove my foot from the accelerator but without depressing the clutch pedal.

It doesn't occur noticeably in 1st gear (although I would not normally downshift to 1st gear, I've done some tests, just to see if the same thing happened.) I've not noticed it when downshifting into 5th or 4th gears, although it might(???)

I don't know if this is actually a problem or not. By itself, it's not... but might relate to some other underlying issue. I didn't want to drop it off at a dealer, in case they aren't familiar with the problem, to go on a "hunting" expedition. I was hoping I'd have some idea of what the problem is first. Any ideas?

·
Potential Owner
47 Posts

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
There is a tsb on this issue the pcm requires a reflash to correct this, many dealers do it free of charge or at minimal cost as it only takes a few minutes and can usually be done in the drive up area.

here is the link to the thread on this forum discussing this tsb, the last post (#10) on the first page and #11 (first post on second page) have the tsb numbers the 2nd and 3rd pages contain the most useful info from other users.

link: http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-2013-mazda-3-skyactiv-recalls-tsb-ssb/35026-2013-mazda3-headlight-tsb.html

link to automd site on the tsb: (auto and manuals affected):https://www.automd.com/tsb/bulletin_b358350/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts