2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my 2016 owner's manual: "The flexible setting is available in the United States and Puerto Rico. Based on the
engine operating conditions, the onboard computer in your vehicle calculates the
remaining oil life. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 oil and Castrol® 0W-20 oil are required to
achieve optimum calculation performance"

Do you use this feature? If so how many miles do you typically get between changes and what driving conditions do you normally have? I am trying to determine if I should be using this feature or simply change on a regular mileage interval (e.g every 7500 miles).

Thanks!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I use it and I like it
I think it takes into account engine operating time (idle, city driving, traffic, etc.) instead of just mileage
My commutes are not that long so I put about 4k miles and the oil life showed about 20%
I did my oil change then and it came out really dirty, so it's fairly accurate
Someone like myself who doesn't make big commutes can't rely on mileage alone

EDIT: Also forgot to add that by then the oil was already over 6 months old so that was the main reason I changed it

Reactions: tots

·
Registered
266 Posts
Given the circumstances of my use (I live 1/3 mile up a dirt road), the Owner's Manual directs me to "follow Schedule 2 with engine oil fixed maintenance" - that is, change the oil every 5,000 miles. In the States, the conditions requiring that interval are:

• Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation such as police car, taxi or driving school car
• Driving in dusty conditions

Once I'm back living on a paved street or road, I'll happily switch over to the flexible maintenance interval.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From my 2016 owner's manual: "The flexible setting is available in the United States and Puerto Rico. Based on the
engine operating conditions, the onboard computer in your vehicle calculates the
remaining oil life. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 oil and Castrol® 0W-20 oil are required to
achieve optimum calculation performance"

Do you use this feature? If so how many miles do you typically get between changes and what driving conditions do you normally have? I am trying to determine if I should be using this feature or simply change on a regular mileage interval (e.g every 7500 miles).

Thanks!
Anyone else using this feature?

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
For those who do not travel much mileage annually, there is generally recognized standard that due to a motor building up acids in the oil when running, the oil and filter should be changed no less than once every year.

Thus even for someone who is, because of a temporary job assignment, a military deployment, going to park their car for a long time with its having been run before then, another major recommendation is to change the oil/filter before it is parked for an extended time period. Is three months an extended time? No. But if you had, for example, driven your car for 4,000 miles and were for whatever reason going to park it for six months, it would be smart to get your oil/filter changed before that hibernation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm trying to use it (new car last week), but not sure I have it set. There's a check mark next next to Flexible Setting so I think I'm using it. But there's also info regarding the Fixed Setting (that the salesman put in). And I can't display the Oil Life (%).

So I don't really know if the Flexible Setting is really set.

Any help would be appreciated:frown2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Flexible Change Experince

After my last oil change I set my interval to flexible. I'm at around 7,000 miles now and my '15 Mazda 3 is still showing 50% oil life remaining. I checked the dipstick and the oil isn't too dark and is still full.
I came searching to see how everyone else's experience was. My commute doesn't have much traffic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Where do you find the display that shows 50%? I can't seem to find it and therefore suspect that I don't have the flexible interval set correctly.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Under the maintenance app, there should be options to set intervals for tire rotation and inspection, and to switch to flexible for oil, then it will present the engine oil life.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Under the maintenance app, there should be options to set intervals for tire rotation and inspection, and to switch to flexible for oil, then it will present the engine oil life.
Exactly what I've been doing. However, where I expect oil life percentage to show up, it shows 5500 miles (and that hasn't changed so far).

I only have 220 miles on the car. Maybe more miles are needed before the percentage shows up? Seems like it would show 100% though.

I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens.

·
Registered
964 Posts
:blink 1:
After my last oil change I set my interval to flexible. I'm at around 7,000 miles now and my '15 Mazda 3 is still showing 50% oil life remaining. I checked the dipstick and the oil isn't too dark and is still full.
I came searching to see how everyone else's experience was. My commute doesn't have much traffic.

:blink 1: oh wow. So the system is suggesting roughly 13-14k miles based on YOUR driving style and conditions. I didn't think it would push it that far. I'm usually around 60% after 3k miles of abusive driving. Lol.

If you're using synthetic, I think it's safe to go the distance if you're interesting in saving money on maintenance. For all we know, your engine can be spotless after 10 years and 200k miles of such service intervals. Let's find out... :popcorn:

·
Registered
5 Posts
My little wrench came on at 2K (new car). Didn't think I needed an oil change at that mileage so I changed it to "flexible". Light went out and it now shows 7K. Don't know if that means 7K more miles. Don't see where people see a %. Figure I will get oil change at 5K. What do you all think?? Pretty easy driving. Some mountains. Usually drive about 60 miles at a time.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Not sure why yours would come on at 2k if it wasn't set to flexible. Does that mean Mazda set the oil change interval to 2,000 miles for you? Lol. Or does the system really suggest you dump the oil now?

If it was set for a 2k interval and the light came on, just because you now set it to flexible doesn't mean it's suggesting more miles all the sudden. You basically reset the system while doing so and the cycle restarted.

I think you guys are messing with the maintenance system and possibly screwing up the current oil change interval in the process.

Change the oil AND THEN reset the system to either flexible or whatever you choose. Don't do it mid cycle. If it was set for a 2k "timer" and you changed it to now suggest oil change intervals based on engine operations, it now need to gather info to give you an accurate suggestion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's how my maintenance screen looks like. Are your guy's software different then mine? Lol
Don't know. The screens look identical except mine shows 5500 mi where yours shows the percentage. And the 5500 mi doesn't change.

As i said before, I'll keep watching it. Perhaps you have to hit some threshold before it starts giving the oil life in percentage:confused1 1:

·
Registered
964 Posts
No that doesn't make sense because I can switch from mileage to percent just fine and the miles drop down, not per mile but I think every 100 miles if I remember correctly. So you can also open up the app and see how much miles is left before an oil change is due.

I wonder if yours is messed up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Could be. However, all the other functions in the Apps and Settings work fine.

Frankly, I can live without it. Didn't have it on my Miata or most of the other cars I've owned in the last 50+ years. I'll muddle through:wink2:.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts