2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all...yep...it's an oil thread. Please accept my apologies in advance.

So when I bought my car the dealer set the maintenance minder to 'scheduled' every 5,000 miles with oil change and tire rotation turned off. Once I got it back from my first free oil change, I turned the scheduled setting off and turned the oil change setting on to flexible and turned on the tire rotation reminder. Based on my observations so far, the "flexible" reminder really isn't. I have a 2018 so it shows mileage instead of a percentage (frigging dumb, IMO) and when I reset it, it shows 7500 miles. Almost all my driving is in town and my round trip to work is only 12 miles on suburban streets but the mileage on the oil change monitor falls off at basically the same rate I'm driving. I thought that with the road trip and all highway, the rate of decline would slow. Nope. It's been 2,000 miles since the oil change and it shows 5500 miles until it's due again. Am I wasting my time with this gimmicky feature that doesn't actually seem to do anything or is my driving style just that gentle that 7500 miles is really how far I can go?

Also I checked my oil today and noticed that in the 1900 miles of my road trip I'm down about 1/3 of a quart on the stick. On the last oil change I noticed a minor amount of consumption but nothing that required a top-off. I assume this is normal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I notice that some of us report a bit of oil consumption while others do not. I'm one of those that doesn't lose any oil. I change my oil every 8k kms as per the owners manual and it doesn't drop at all between changes. I've often been curious as to why some burn a little oil and others don't.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Why is that dumb? 7500 is the interval set y Mazda for oil changes. Its right in your owners manual.
The reminder is just that, a reminder. Change the oil when you think its needed.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why is that dumb? 7500 is the interval set y Mazda for oil changes. Its right in your owners manual.
The reminder is just that, a reminder. Change the oil when you think its needed.
I read the owner's manual. I was reading the manual before I even got the car. But since you insist, the manual says on page 6-4 in regards to flexible oil change settings, "Once engine oil flexible maintenance is selected, the vehicle calculates the remaining oil life based on engine operating conditions."

I was simply looking to solicit other's experiences, not to be talked down to condescendingly.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hmmmm...

My 2014 has a percentage for oil life. Although I have mine set to flexible just to keep an eye on oil life for fun even though I go by mileage using Trip B, I never actually calculated if the percentage is just a mileage counter on the inside. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
If you have read the manual then you should know thats how it works. Mine does the same thing, no percentage. The remaining oil life is displayed in either distance or time remaining. 7500 is the mileage interval that Mazda has specified on the fixed service chart, so thats where it starts . It counts down according to oil condition. If you are driving in normal conditions, as in normal commuting in daily traffic etc without extenuating conditions such as racing, extreme heat, lots of idling time etc the 7500 mile interval will work out the same no matter how you set your maintenance monitor.

·
Registered
'15 Mazda3
167 Posts
When I bought 3MOE, I had all my oil changes done by the dealer I bought my 3 from, and I had some oil consumption, usually a little less than a quart between each change. I asked the service manager about this and the reply was that it is normal. I thought BS, new cars do not consume oil, but I continued using the same service department until they tried to tell me I needed service performed that I KNOW I didn't need. I went to another Mazda dealer service department and had my oil changed, and for the next 5k miles, there was NO OIL CONSUMPTION. I asked the service manager what type of oil they used and he said they ONLY use Castrol Syntech/Edge oil. I called the previous Mazda service department and asked what type of oil they used, and was told it was some off brand (Dilmar) out of a 50 gallon drum, but it was synthetic oil. I had 5 oil changes at the dealership where I bought the car, with oil consumption between every oil change. I have had 4 oil changes at the new dealership with NO oil consumption between oil changes. So, the conclusion I draw from this, is the brand of oil matters. The Castrol oil even looks better (clearer) on the dipstick, when it is close to the time for an oil change.

oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I ALWAYS check the oil level before leaving a place where I had the oil changed.

·
2017 Mazda 3 GT-M 2.0 120
54 Posts
7500 miles for a oil change interval?
Here my manual says (and also the onboard timer) 20.000 km or once a year

·
2017 Mazda 3 GT-M 2.0 120
54 Posts
Ah! Thanks for that one Arathol
Missed the fact that 7500 miles is for 6 months :)
EU interal 20k km is less than the USA 24k km a year.....hmmm. That's quite a difference

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think you're onto something....I shut mine off. I'm still trying to figure out how I managed to get 200K and 13 years out of my cars without it?

Am I wasting my time with this gimmicky feature that doesn't actually seem to do anything or is my driving style just that gentle that 7500 miles is really how far I can go?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I will be picking up my 2019 manual hatch within the next month. With past Mazda 3’s (2010 & 2012), I performed a first oil change at 2500 miles before settling into the 4-5000 mile interval. I have gotten excellent trouble free performance for both those 2.5’s but wonder if my early first oil change is really beneficial. I would appreciate some feedback on that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have seen the miles for the flexible oil change in response to driving conditions on my 2018 3. Especially below 1k, for example before a highway trip it might report due in 500 miles. Then when I reach my destination 300 miles by highway, it. Might report due in 650.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
I will be picking up my 2019 manual hatch within the next month. With past Mazda 3’s (2010 & 2012), I performed a first oil change at 2500 miles before settling into the 4-5000 mile interval. I have gotten excellent trouble free performance for both those 2.5’s but wonder if my early first oil change is really beneficial. I would appreciate some feedback on that.
You'll get 100 different opinions...Mine is the first oil change is probably the most important at the 3-5 range max for any car...That's probably the one scheduled maintenance item that has not changed in 100 years. After that I settle in to a much longer range (based on combination of time and miles) since both engines have much tighter tolerances and oil is more technologically advanced as well from even just a few years ago.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Are your oil changes longer apart than that recommended by the manufacturer?

If not, great.

If so, can you explain why you exceed that recommendation?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts