2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Old German to New JDM
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For ease of mind, I don't need to get my flat tire refilled with nitrogen, correct?

My 2015 Mazda was bought used with nitrogen tires, and yesterday I had a TPMS warning about 5 minutes from home. Pulled a screw out of the tread and the tire began leaking more. Pulled the tire off and did a plug at home, refilled it with my pancake compressor.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,335 Posts
You should be fine, as long as the plug holds.
CK

Reactions: BRashland

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nitrogen is one of those technologies that provide some benefit in extreme cases, like aircraft tires, but is mostly for marketing purposes for passenger cars.

I'm betting that, unless you see them inflating your tires from a black bottle, nitrogen appears far more often on the bill than in your tires.

·
Super Moderator
5,556 Posts
There is no "factory nitrogen fill" from Mazda. If the dealer told you this they are ripping you off.

From Mazdas Guidelines for Factory Scheduled Maintenance-

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is a (very small) measurable difference in pressure loss over time when comparing air to N2.

"In 2006, Consumer Reports conducted a year-long study to determine how much air loss was experienced in tires filled with nitrogen versus those filled with air. The results showed that nitrogen did reduce pressure loss over time, but it was only a 1.3 psi difference from air-filled tires. Among 31 pairs of tires, the average loss of air-filled tires was 3.5 psi from the initial 30 psi setting. Nitrogen-filled tires lost an average of 2.2 psi from the initial setting. Nitrogen won the test, but not by a significant margin." -Edmunds.com

That being said, the general consensus is N2 fills are absolutely not worth it. Losing 3.5psi vs 2.2psi over a year? Check your air pressure every month or two. Top off with air when needed. Simple. N2 is a waste of money.

I will say this: water IS the enemy. When filling from a compressor (e.g. at a service station), discharge the line a bit prior to connecting to and filling your tire, to purge the line of water. You don't want water accumulating inside the tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts