2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I know I've seen some stuff on here before about Flash Tuning and changing the throttle mappings in the Engine Control Unit.... or whatever it was about....

I thought I had seen someone getting a tuning done for their car over the Internet or something, but I wasn't sure if it was for a 2014 mz3 or what.... I went to the website and the latest model they seem to offer for was the 2013 at This Link here from dynotronics

(edit: XCNuse linked me to the thread I was thinking of: http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-2013-mazda-3-engine-performance/36649-dynotronics-tune.html)

So I'm not sure if they haven't finished figuring out the 2014... or made a tuning available for it.

I was just wondering if Flash Tuning could changing the mapping so that it doesn't feel so sluggish when I initially press down the pedal....

You can feel a pretty huge difference between our electronic throttle and a non-electronic one.... I had a crappy 2007 Ford Focus, and I know when I was test driving my 2014 mazda3 2.5 liter.... I noticed how slow the response was when pressing the pedal.... it really seems like it takes a lot of the fun out of driving....

When I got back in my Focus, I could tell immediately... When I press the pedal it ACTUALLY GOES..... rather than lagging behind.....

It's especially annoying when trying to make Quick turns in a line of traffic..... My Focus was great at that, even though it was probably only a 2liter or less.... But when I wanted to Accel really quick just for a moment.... IT ACTUALLY DID IT, with no silly lag....

I usually just put the 2.5 liter in Manu-matic AND Sport Mode with Traction control off - Then just keep it in First gear to make a quick turn.... but it really barely helps, because there is STILL a delay between pressing the pedal and going.....

I'm not sure if the delay is an Intentional buffer in the ECU that limits how fast the throttle opens, but I'm assuming that, if it is, then a Flash Tuning could fix this hopefully.... That way it will feel like I ACTUALLY have control of my car from a stopped position.... especially when I need it the most...

So is the Flash Tune available some where?? or is it still in testing? :blink 1: :yes:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Most likely the tune provided by the tuner you mentioned has it available I'd give them a email or a call during business hours. There's been a few guys on here with the skyactiv tunes from them already. It's most likely intentional from the manufacture to make the car safer?

I drove my cousin's STI with Drive-by-Wire and it felt like a Drive-by-cable. When you wanted 20%, it gave you 20%. It was a really linear feel compared to the exponential feel of the stock Mazda. His was tuned with a Cobb Accessport.

I do prefer drive by cable because of its direct connection to the throttle body but drive by wire these days is really good compared to when they were first released.

Since the car is still fairly new, not much development has been happening stateside from what I've seen. You have a few companies do it, but not like how the FR-Z came out and there was already massive amount of stuff that could be done to them.

But for sure, once the Miata comes out, we will have much more tuners looking at our motors and not just one tuner to go to. If you can, one more year and we will have much much more options....

Reactions: Dimes2Dope

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea... that was what I was talking about.... thanks for the post though.... ill look into those programs....

ECU_Flash 1.44
OpenPort
mazdaedit

http://www.epifansoft.com/mazdaedit.html Mazda Edit Website

This site seems to suggest that the third-gen 2.5lit is supported....

I already have an OBD-II Bluetooth adapter, I wonder if that will be enough to get access to the ECU and make changes...

I've been using the Torque app for a while....

Definitely must look in to this.... I only want to edit a very small portion.... maybe it will be easy...

·
Registered
606 Posts
So I know I've seen some stuff on here before about Flash Tuning and changing the throttle mappings in the Engine Control Unit.... or whatever it was about....

I thought I had seen someone getting a tuning done for their car over the Internet or something, but I wasn't sure if it was for a 2014 mz3 or what.... I went to the website and the latest model they seem to offer for was the 2013 at This Link here from dynotronics

So I'm not sure if they haven't finished figuring out the 2014... or made a tuning available for it.

I was just wondering if Flash Tuning could changing the mapping so that it doesn't feel so sluggish when I initially press down the pedal....

You can feel a pretty huge difference between our electronic throttle and a non-electronic one.... I had a crappy 2007 Ford Focus, and I know when I was test driving my 2014 mazda3 2.5 liter.... I noticed how slow the response was when pressing the pedal.... it really seems like it takes a lot of the fun out of driving....

When I got back in my Focus, I could tell immediately... When I press the pedal it ACTUALLY GOES..... rather than lagging behind.....

It's especially annoying when trying to make Quick turns in a line of traffic..... My Focus was great at that, even though it was probably only a 2liter or less.... But when I wanted to Accel really quick just for a moment.... IT ACTUALLY DID IT, with no silly lag....

I usually just put the 2.5 liter in Manu-matic AND Sport Mode with Traction control off - Then just keep it in First gear to make a quick turn.... but it really barely helps, because there is STILL a delay between pressing the pedal and going.....

I'm not sure if the delay is an Intentional buffer in the ECU that limits how fast the throttle opens, but I'm assuming that, if it is, then a Flash Tuning could fix this hopefully.... That way it will feel like I ACTUALLY have control of my car from a stopped position.... especially when I need it the most...

So is the Flash Tune available some where?? or is it still in testing? :blink 1: :yes:
Checkout OV Tuning: Ovtuned and the Facebook community for OV tuning, designed for people to share their experience on Mazda 3 tuning (search for Mazda 3 tuning Group).

Mat @ OV tuning has developed quite an expertise with tuning skyactiv engines. I've been getting my skyactiv 2.0 tuned with OV tuning now for a few weeks. So far, I'm making more than 20 whp (more at crank) over stock running just 91 octane, confirmed by Vdyno's and time to reach speed (eg. 40-60, 60-80 mph). My car also makes more torque @3000 rpm now than it did before at its peak around 4000 rpm... A big advantage also came with having my MAF sensor calibrated after my Corksport SRI caused the calibration to be way off, resulting in very rich fuel trims and bad throttle response- the car feels so alive now. Pretty much all Mazda 3 SRIs will throw off your MAF sensor calibration, causing highly negative long term fuel trims.

The secret to getting good gains on skyactiv engines is NOT by adding tons of timing, its by working on the VVT maps. Mat's maps are specifically tested on skyactiv models (many months testing what works and what doesn't), rather than just general VVT map timing strategy applied across a range of Mazda 3 engines (I notice some tuners have this generic strategy)... I will post my results on this forum when my car is fully tuned.

Reactions: Dimes2Dope

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I don't get what the delay is. I've had my car for a year and no one has advertised a tune for these cars. I would gladly accept +20whp.

The aftermarket support for these cars is non-existent. I thought Lotus' support was sh*t when the Elise came out. It took years for there to be lots of great products. Mazda is just as bad.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I don't get what the delay is. I've had my car for a year and no one has advertised a tune for these cars. I would gladly accept +20whp.

The aftermarket support for these cars is non-existent. I thought Lotus' support was sh*t when the Elise came out. It took years for there to be lots of great products. Mazda is just as bad.
Yeah true, aftermarket performance parts for Mazda's seem to take forever to come out. For a tune, you'll make way more power if you get a custom tune that is specific for your car rather than an advertised aftermarket one that is generic, off the shelf (OTS). When they make OTS maps, they still have to ensure that it will be safe for all cars of the same model. Each cars true potential does vary a bit across the rpm band.

Mat mentioned that the 2.5L skyactiv is tuned really conservatively from the factory, so I wouldn't be surprised if you get 25-30 whp gains with stock hardware and ~40 whp with an intake, exhaust, and light weight wheels & tires. I can see the car being capable of >230 crank hp with the right mods and tuner. Still, its not just peak power... There will be a huge difference in the area under the curve and driveability. My car feels so torquey now, and there's way more low-end power.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Our cars didn't get proper tuning support until end of last summer. It's been the largest voiced topic over the past year, it's absolutely around (unless you aren't looking for it).

@Dimes, contact Dynotronics, bluetooth OBD can't do it.
Nor is it really something you probably want to jump into trying to do yourself either.

2.5L definitely will not make 230 flywheel power, you can scratch that one lol.
Also.. lightweight wheels and tires has no effect on flywheel power to start.
Without tearing down that motor it will never make more than 210 to the crank, and there are no bolt on modifications to further it than that.

Mat has a Vdyno of one that kissed 200hp, but again those are flywheel numbers.
Not to mention... VDynos are far from accurate, especially depending on who is doing the logs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Our cars didn't get proper tuning support until end of last summer. It's been the largest voiced topic over the past year, it's absolutely around (unless you aren't looking for it).

Nor is it really something you probably want to jump into trying to do yourself either.

Without tearing down that motor it will never make more than 210 to the crank, and there are no bolt on modifications to further it than that.

Not to mention... VDynos are far from accurate, especially depending on who is doing the logs.

What year was the 2.5 that was vdyno'd and what bolt ons did it have and was it tuned with a standalone ecu or a piggyback? I don't know how you can be so sure it can't go much past 200hp just because of one tunner.

·
Registered
606 Posts

I was talking about the skyactiv 2.5 which makes 184 hp stock. Assuming a 15-20% increase in power from intake, exhaust and tune, you are making 212-221 hp at the crank. My car has already made 15% more power with my intake exhaust and tune mods, and the skyactiv 2.5 is more tunable, so 15-20% is possible, maybe more. In case you are wondering about whether I got 15% improvement just from just Vdyno's, my 3rd gear pull from 60-80 mph went from 5.2s stock to 4.5s, which is a 15% gain in power, and this was replicated many times over the same stretch of flat road. Now considering that loosing 1 lb of wheel weight (unsprung mass) has the effect of 2-3 lbs sprung mass, and loosing 10 lbs off sprung mass is generally gains the effect of 1 hp, then switching to a wheel and tire combo that is 5 lbs lighter than stock will yield and effect of around 5 hp gained, further improving overall power gains... Lighter wheels can improve actual Dyno numbers and certainly do improve 0-60 times:

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

By the way, Dynotronics (Joe) has never posted any results from tunes performed on any skyactv products on this forum, especially not for the 2.5 skyactiv. I'd love to see dyno results from any skyactivs he's worked on.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

Flywheel stock is 185, it should be able to pull 210 on stock block.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts