2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be fitting a Hayman Reece towbar to my car to tow a small box trailer and I'm wondering do I need to buy the wiring harness with the ECU or can I hard wire/splice it into the original harness. I've called a few towbar fitting companies and I'm getting mixed answers. Some say I need the new harness, others say I don't. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. So it protects the BCM from shorts or faults in the wiring? That makes sense. Thanks again.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Kudos to you Australians for actually towing something behind (your Mazda's). They are SO, SO, scared to tow anything, here in North America. In fact, I have a Mazda6, and the OEM Mazda Australia tow-bar is an excellent, well-nigh totally hidden unit... albeit rather dear. I am likely going to get one.

:)

·
Registered
341 Posts
I found that here in North America, Tekonsha has a plug n play isolating system that accomplishes that BCM isolation... and there is no wire-cutting or splicing like the OEM Mazda unit... So I will be getting the Tekonsha.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Hayman Reese is a top quality towbar at a better price than genuine, and has a high towing capacity and ball weight. It's also hidden by the bumper bar. Don't know if you have them over there. I'm looking at getting that one and will check out the Tekonsha plug and play system.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The Hayman Reese is a top quality towbar at a better price than genuine, and has a high towing capacity and ball weight. It's also hidden by the bumper bar. Don't know if you have them over there. I'm looking at getting that one and will check out the Tekonsha plug and play system.
What I really like about the OEM Mazda Australia towbar is how the receiver tube is vertically-oriented. This means that when the ball assembly is removed it's absolutely all but invisible and certainly will never touch the ground / drag on steep ramps. See pix...

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts