2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just playing with some HDR stuff, sadly i cant shoot RAW so it's got more noise then i would like.

<clickable thumbnails then if you want when you get to photo bucket you can click again for full size.

what do you guys think ?

·
1,091 Posts
Ahh, all the EXIF information is stripped so I can't remark about any of the settings/changes. Did you use Photomatix or Photoshop to merge the shots? How many bracketed shots did you take?

If you can do the shots off a tripod, you can use the lowest ISO and retain the most detail and minimize noise. If you're handholding, it is definitely more challenging and the merges won't be as clean.

Also, blue car & blue sky- either a challenge to shoot or very easy to do some interesting things in post processing.

Nonetheless, the pics look good. I like composition of the 2nd shot with the car orientation of the first. :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh, all the EXIF information is stripped so I can't remark about any of the settings/changes. Did you use Photomatix or Photoshop to merge the shots? How many bracketed shots did you take?

If you can do the shots off a tripod, you can use the lowest ISO and retain the most detail and minimize noise. If you're handholding, it is definitely more challenging and the merges won't be as clean.

Also, blue car & blue sky- either a challenge to shoot or very easy to do some interesting things in post processing.

Nonetheless, the pics look good. I like composition of the 2nd shot with the car orientation of the first. :)
i'm using the photomatix program but like i said it's the first try at it. The shots were just quick, run and snag a few before I lost all my light. I used 3 bracketed shots (but my equipment isn't very good, hope to ditch it and get a nice DSLR, maybe a Canon Xsi)

100% tripod, doing it by hand would SUCK!!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I like composition of the 2nd shot with the car orientation of the first. :)
Looks good! :)

agreed, the background is more balanced in the second shot, and has some good lines. I think it would help if the clouds popped a little more.

I haven't dabbled too heavily into HDR, you have inspired me.

What kind of camera are you shooting with??

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good! :)

agreed, the background is more balanced in the second shot, and has some good lines. I think it would help if the clouds popped a little more.

I haven't dabbled too heavily into HDR, you have inspired me.

What kind of camera are you shooting with??
Canon IS20sx, wife talked me into it bc of the HD video for our Vegas trip. I was really wanting a Canon T1i :crybaby 1: now it's out of my price range.

·
Registered
598 Posts
right on.

I have the Canon XSI (the one just before the T1i came out)... a few hundred cheaper now, and it takes some good pictures. the video would be cool, but that is what I use my Flip for. :)

DSLRs aren't too party friendly, and don't exactly fit in your pocket...

just convince the wife that you can take some amazing family photos... any kids??? if so, I'm sure you could use that nice new Canon Rebel to document their youth...........

...... and your car ;)

·
1,091 Posts
If you're starting out in DSLR territory- depending on your skills and experience as a photographer, I'd suggest cheap body + awesome (used) lenses, rather than the other way around. Bodies come and go (and lose value) but lenses are here to stay.

Most, if not all, of my lenses have appreciated in value actually with the recent devaluing of the USD- which, unfortunately, also makes now a pretty terrible time to be buying lenses (all the good ones are very expensive, new or used).

Anyway, back to the topic. I forgot to ask if you recall what stop differences you set for your bracketed pictures. +- 1, 2. I suppose if the camera doesn't come with a bracketing option, you could just shoot three pictures with EV -1, 0 and +1, or -2, 0, +2.

On preview-

Heh, yeah my cousin somehow picked up a Canon 5D Mark2, 24-105 F/4, 70-200 F/2.8 IS and 85 F/1.2 (I love this lens on so many levels) a few years after he had kids... That getup right there is easily in the $8k+ territory. But it's totally unnecessary and a pain in the ass to lug around unless you have the skills and experience to make do with the abilities it has. I should also mention he's had cameras since his younger days and still has an old Nikon F2 and F100.

The SX20 IS is a pretty gnarly camera in its own right. 20x optical, IS and articulating LCD. One of my old cameras was a Canon S2 IS (similar but older model, 12x zoom). Shot some pretty awesome pictures with it!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Heh, yeah my cousin somehow picked up a Canon 5D Mark2, 24-105 F/4, 70-200 F/2.8 IS and 85 F/1.2 (I love this lens on so many levels)

your cousin has quite the setup! 5D and 7D are some pretty cameras :yes:

however, patiently waiting for a Scarlet. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not bad, though I personally like the more cartoon-ish/halo-ish style HDR, and if you didn't use a tripod and had access you adobe photoshop you could ultimately do a HDR photo that way as well. But good work!

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
Your backdrops are really well done.....it looks JUST LIKE rural Oklahoma !

j/k nice job .....maybe you can get some lightning/thunderstorm cloud pics today and tomorrow ! LOL

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If you're starting out in DSLR territory- depending on your skills and experience as a photographer, I'd suggest cheap body + awesome (used) lenses, rather than the other way around. Bodies come and go (and lose value) but lenses are here to stay.

Most, if not all, of my lenses have appreciated in value actually with the recent devaluing of the USD- which, unfortunately, also makes now a pretty terrible time to be buying lenses (all the good ones are very expensive, new or used).

Anyway, back to the topic. I forgot to ask if you recall what stop differences you set for your bracketed pictures. +- 1, 2. I suppose if the camera doesn't come with a bracketing option, you could just shoot three pictures with EV -1, 0 and +1, or -2, 0, +2.

On preview-

Heh, yeah my cousin somehow picked up a Canon 5D Mark2, 24-105 F/4, 70-200 F/2.8 IS and 85 F/1.2 (I love this lens on so many levels) a few years after he had kids... That getup right there is easily in the $8k+ territory. But it's totally unnecessary and a pain in the ass to lug around unless you have the skills and experience to make do with the abilities it has. I should also mention he's had cameras since his younger days and still has an old Nikon F2 and F100.

The SX20IS is a pretty gnarly camera in its own right. 20x optical, IS and articulating LCD. One of my old cameras was a Canon S2 IS (similar but older model, 12x zoom). Shot some pretty awesome pictures with it!
I’m not 100% sure what I’m going to do as far as the new camera goes; I’ve got to ditch the SX20IS first. As for the bracketing it was -2, 0, +2, as for your cousins set up all I can say really is… DROOL!!!!!!!! We had a guy come into the print shop with a $9k rig and it was really nice, not sure anymore what it was.

Your right the SX20is isn’t a piece of trash by any means, it’s just got a small sensor

Your backdrops are really well done.....it looks JUST LIKE rural Oklahoma !

j/k nice job .....maybe you can get some lightning/thunderstorm cloud pics today and tomorrow ! LOL

I hope to get some good cloud shots tonight around dusk, as long as I can keep the damn noise down.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, I was looking at that today.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Read that Giz article today at work and inspired me to try it out myself. Just took these hastily when i got home today. It's not interesting or good but it was my first try. Still trying to learn all the slider bars. Wish my D3k had bracketing.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
699 Posts
im jealous.... wanna do my car next? :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Sure. Drive down here and bring some sweet CS parts!
lol... you could have a lot of fun with the gunmetal blue color

1 - 18 of 18 Posts