2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the Mazda community. As a first time Mazda3 ('04) owner I have to say I'm impressed with the car. Its intended purpose is/was a-b transportation and it does well even feeling sporty. It get's reasonable gas mileage, has proper ergonomics for a car its size and when the AC worked I could spend a lot of time driving it. I did just order a new AC compressor and plan to replace it myself. The AC clutch isn't engaging. I'm no mechanic however I am 100% YouTube video trained so I don't see what could go wrong. Need to know if I really have to replace Receiver Drier and Expansion Valve. Instruction video 1 said replace both. Instruction video 2 said blow them out with compressed air and reinstall. What does the Mazda community suggest? Please advise. Thank You
Art
'04 Mazda 3

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
224 Posts
The recommendation is probably a good idea for both of them. While you have the system evacuated to replace the compressor, it's a good time to replace the valve as it's a wear item. I've heard people claim that the drier should always be replaced if the system has been open to the air for a while.

That being said, I had to replace the compressor in my Suburban, and ran into a leak problem that took me a week or two to get the time to figure it out. I did replace the valve and drier when I put in the compressor, but I didn't replace it again after being open to the air for two weeks. Been working like a champ for three years since then... (knocking quickly on wood)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Are you sure the clutch problem isn't caused by the AC control system?

When I replaced the compressor I'd also replace the receiver drier but not the TX valve.Cap the refrigerant connections with an airtight seal while they are open.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have working AC !!! I bought the cheapest replacement compressor I could find online for $119.99(shipped). I removed old compressor, istalled new compressor and took it to mechanic to evacuate and refill refrigerant. We had cold air for a couple minutes and then no compressor. I spent time speaking kindly to old compressor and finally got the clutch to work. I reinstalled original compressor, added compressor oil, mechanic evacuated system again and refilled freon. I now have working AC. The only, mind you minute qualm is that my blower isn't blowing as strong as it used to (at least 25% weaker). It used to get kind of loud with AC turned up all the way, now it is not. It is simply sufficient. I checked cabin filters and they're free of obstructions as I don't have any filters courtesy of previous owners. Any suggestions on why it's not blowing as strong as before? Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Mazda3 Saloon in Soul Red Crystal.
54 Posts
I now have working AC. The only, mind you minute qualm is that my blower isn't blowing as strong as it used to (at least 25% weaker). It used to get kind of loud with AC turned up all the way, now it is not. It is simply sufficient. I checked cabin filters and they're free of obstructions as I don't have any filters courtesy of previous owners. Any suggestions on why it's not blowing as strong as before? Thanks
Possibly a badly worn A/C clutch or a faulty A/C coil.
$29.99

1 - 5 of 5 Posts