2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just traded in my '97 Rav-4 5MT for a used 2016 Mazda 3 iGT 6MT and have never looked more forward to driving. I owe a huge debt to this forum for its posts on CMU mods and winter driving reviews. This community helped sell me on what has been an amazing car thus far. Thanks!

I'm looking forwarding to posting more often, but I'm in the thick of studying for my medical boards and have a few quick questions about MZD mods. I'd like to customize the system ASAP with an AIO mod, but I am both unfamiliar with the rooting process and am afraid of bricking the CMU on a car that is 36-hours old. Honestly, I'm not sure where to begin and am really short on time right now. If anyone has pointers on the stuff below, I'd really appreciate it!

1. My firmware is cmu150_NA_55.00.753A . How out of date is this? Can I use ASH8's tutorial on updating myself or should I go to my local dealer?

2. Has anyone here voided any warranties doing this?

3. Do these AIOs include the "OK Google" voice commands?

Sorry for writing so much. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Welcome RedMcCoy89! Glad you joined us, and hope smarter than me folks regarding firmware will be able to help you.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You have made a wise choice, I also graduated from a '97 Rav4 up to the 2016 Mazda3. I went with auto transmission both times, no regrets.

2 things I had to get used to were the much lower ground clearance, and the change in forward visibility (the long Mazda hood makes it difficult for me to gauge exactly where the front corners end).

Can't give you any advice/ thoughts regarding an update to the firmware system; I didn't want to mess with it, was afraid of screwing something up.

Offhand, I'm not sure which lighting setup your iGT has; if it has the halogen lights like my isport, I highly recommend swapping out the H11 bulbs for a set of H9's. It's a fairly easy conversion, and the increased headlight output is a most worthwhile modification...

Enjoy your car, it's a blast to drive, especially compared to a '97 Rav4! Going from an average 25mpg to 35mpg is a major bonus also!!

Reactions: RedMcCoy89

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Darvetis, you're absolutely right about the forward visibility difference, haha. Navigating both my underground spot at home and parking spaces around town are still taking some time.

Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts