2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

First road trip in the 3!

Tags
road trip
5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  zmarko 
#1 ·
So yesterday I just got back from my first extended trip in the 3. The family used to take my wife's Rav 4 when we went on trips because of space, and the marginally better MPG it got than my old G35. Better mileage was the main reason I got the 3 Skyactiv, and boy did it deliver!
Drove from Omaha, NE to Des Moines, IA, back to Omaha, then up to Sioux Falls, SD. Over 800 miles, and I only had to fill up one time during the trip! W00T!!!

Averaged in at just about 38mpg, and that's with AC on about half the time, and all four of us in the car.
Also I was surprised that the seats are as comfortable as they are! In the Rav4, I constantly had lumbar pain after driving anywhere for an hour. The 3's seats, while not near as nice as the G's, were a considerable step up from the Toyota's. This little car is making me happier every time I drive it. Still wish it had more acceleration, but that's resolved by simply changing my driving habits. It is a rock solid vehicle. Next up, dark tint, and if the wife lets me, some Road Magnet 1.25's and maybe a set of 17's for warm weather driving.:yes:

Just wanted to share.

#2 ·
Reading some of the posts from Skyactiv owners and the real life mpg's they are getting really makes me want to trade in my 2.5 and enjoy HUGE leaps in real world mpg. Damn; my average is like 23-24 ish mpg and that is with more highway than in the past.

Congrats Mr. Michael.

#3 ·
That would be a dumb move, you would never recover the depreciation hit on the gas savings.

Pat.

#9 ·
I'm glad you and the fam had a great road trip! The SkyActiv's are great road trip cars, as you've found out. I agree with the Rav 4's sub-par (in my opinion) seats.

Carmagnut - I agree with zmarko on the driving habits. Also, check you tire pressure and make sure all of your maintenance(oil, spark plugs, belts, etc), and the alignment is good... :)

-Tyler

#12 ·
I bought my skyactiv last saturday and have driven 680 miles total, I just had to fill up today at 668 miles and it said i had 33 to go before empty. I've never driven a car with the ability to hover at 78 mph with cruise control on and be hitting 45mpg, its a god send! ;)

#14 ·
My driving habits are nothing crazy. Car is well maintained and new tires were just put on. My car is an auto so that may have a bit to do with it. I have road tripped a ton with it and usually hover around the high 20's (28-maybe 30) but that is with pure highway for the most part.

The long and short of it is I am not complaining but since day one the mileage has been slightly subpar. I drive it the way I want, not to hyper-mile it. My supercharged TSX got better mileage with more stop and go driving in the past so that is weird. It is what it is; I chose the car and will stick with it until I no longer want to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.