2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I was so happy to find this forum after researching the Mazda 3 :)
I recently bought a salvage car from auction, it's a 2014 Mazda 3 Sedan i Grand Touring in Deep Crystal Blue.
This is our first rebuild, both my mother and I are excited to see how it turns out.

When we fired her up to get her off the trailer, a remarkable thing! The ONLY dash lights were simple fixes - the oil change prompt, and a missing side mirror had caused the BSM light to be on. We replaced the mirror, now the dash is clear :giggle: (don't worry, they do illuminate for a few seconds during startup).

No airbags had deployed. No seatbelts locked up (manual says there would be hashmarks further in on the seatbelts).
We took her for a few spins on a private road and she handles lovely. The verdict is, she really doesn't have much wrong with her, it's cosmetic. I suppose the insurance company tallied it up and figured it wasn't worth it.

She has 95k miles, and I paid a third of what the same car + mileage is selling for in my region. Tallying the replacement parts, we'll be in under half of that price. Of course, we have no plans to sell this car, she will be a daily driver for me.

Parts to be replaced:
  • Both Headlights (halogen)
  • One Taillight
  • Grille, Grille Cover, Ornament, Molding.
  • One Fender Liner
  • One Door Handle Base (have the handle).
  • Window Washer Reservoir
  • A ton of little screws, fasteners, a couple brackets, odds and ends.
In the trunk we found the front passenger side interior door panel, the Bose speaker for that door, the handle, and some exterior trim for it. It looks to have been taken apart for the sake of the exterior handle fix, as the door itself is structurally sound and opens from the inside just fine. We will be putting it back together just as soon as I get that necessary part in.
The right Fender was also in the car, with a severe dent I'm working on fixing myself. Because stubborn. Could replace it, but I'd rather avoid painting.
The Bumper cover as well. It's a little scuffed up, but no dents, so it should be good.

The infotainment screen is starting to delaminate. I've been told it will probably last a long while yet, so I'll replace it, likely with a used one, at a later date. For now, we're focusing on getting the car ready for inspection.

I have to diagnose what happened with the AC. On initial startup, it was blowing strong. Subsequent starts, there's nothing. No air coming from the vents. A small noise starts in the engine bay, like something in there is turning on, but nothing happens. I've checked fuses, now I need to focus on the blower relay and blower. Will update on this.

One more problem area - Purple Glitter in the trunk. It just will not vacuum up :p

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Sounds like you got off pretty well. Good luck with the repairs. The AC sounds like it could be a leak, probably from the accident. Check the compressor runs and if it does start searching for leaks.

·
Rubber side down
256 Posts
Always nice seeing a car like that resurrected and used for another 10 years than being scrapped and wasted. Good luck with the refurb! Looks like a workable project for sure. I'm sure it will serve you well for years to come. Happy wrenching!

·
Registered
41 Posts
F***ing love junkyard saves. You need to take the car to a Mazda dealer for the A/C. They'll be able to quickly determine if it's a simple o-ring seal, or of it's something more. IMO, after personal exp. In diagnosing a number of variable compression compressors, the DIY mechanics is left to (about?) pre-'02/'03 cars. Unfortunately, it's not as simple nowadays as an a/c compression check. Pay the $100 dealer-check tax. It'll save you $ in the long run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your car and mine is very similar. Both auction cars and black sedans. The repairs were done prior to receiving the car and there is some spotiness to the bodywork but all in all it was way cheaper to purchase through the auction.

Be careful with any exposed metal that might have been bent/scratched. It will rust quickly if not removed & coated especially through a few winters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:alien::devilish:

Mazda 4 Life!!!
I bought my 2010 Mazda 3i Sport with 19,000 miles TEN years ago! Best car I ever bought! Has started every single time since I bought it except for 2 or 3 times when I needed a battery replacement!
Sad news thought @ 180,000 miles I hit a deer 🦌 on the highway 🛣 going 70MPH.
Air bags deployed and seat belts locked. I took great care of the Mazda for many years. Cruddy insurance company refused to not total it out.
I could not let it go for the life of me lol. I bought the car back! Till this day I have done ZERO repairs & guess what!!? Still starts every time, everything still works great! It’s been 3 years since then and another 45,000 miles! Insane!
ALWAYS buy a Mazda!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts