2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after about 9200 miles I finally had a reason to darken the doorway of a Mazda service center. After grabbing my lunch, I sat down in the driver's seat of my car to hear a slight pop as I settled. If I moved in the seat slightly, I was able to recreate the popping sound and the seat rocks slightly along with the noise. Thankfully I was only five minutes from the closest Mazda dealer so I swung by and let them have a listen. They agreed it wasn't normal and booked me for a Thursday appointment. Just glad it's under warranty. :grin2:

I'm struggling to figure out how this happened. I'm a bit on the big side (230 lbs./104 kg. and 6 feet / 2 meters even) but I'm very gentle when I get in and out of the car. I don't throw my weight around when I get in. Hopefully it's a quick fix.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
6ft might be a slightly tight for a Asian car, but this 8ft tall guy wouldn't fit

·
Registered
562 Posts
6ft might be a slightly tight for a Asian car, but this 8ft tall guy wouldn't fit
https://youtu.be/gjG6qIfoMeI
Funny...when I bought my 2017 M3 hatch, the sales guy must have been close to 300 lbs...On the test drive I literally said to him "I guess this isn't the Mazda you drive? watching him get in and out of the car...but he claimed he had two...for his sons.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well after about 9200 miles I finally had a reason to darken the doorway of a Mazda service center. After grabbing my lunch, I sat down in the driver's seat of my car to hear a slight pop as I settled. If I moved in the seat slightly, I was able to recreate the popping sound and the seat rocks slightly along with the noise. Thankfully I was only five minutes from the closest Mazda dealer so I swung by and let them have a listen. They agreed it wasn't normal and booked me for a Thursday appointment. Just glad it's under warranty. :grin2:

I'm struggling to figure out how this happened. I'm a bit on the big side (230 lbs./104 kg. and 6 feet / 2 meters even) but I'm very gentle when I get in and out of the car. I don't throw my weight around when I get in. Hopefully it's a quick fix.
Not bad for your first and only problem! Cars are very complex machines so I always count on there being a few warranty issues from new. Its the severity, number and their ability to properly repair it that counts.

I had a few with my 15. Nothing serious, and they were very good at fixing it right the first time. Haven't had any problems in a while. Think we got all the gremlins worked out :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got my car back today and per the dealer, they tightened everything down and couldn't find any obvious damage to the seat frame or components. While the noise is much reduced, it hasn't gone away completely so I'm going to just live with it unless it gets worse and/or breaks completely.

Side note: I did not realize just how leathery my car smells until after I spent 24 hours in a brand new 3 Touring hatch with the leatherette seats.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured I'd give an update on this. The popping noise finally got to the point that it happened every time I'd move in the slightest, stop, start or lift off the gas to change gears and it was driving me batty. The dealer took a closer look and found the where the seat mounts to the track had gone bad so they've ordered a new one under warranty.

Fingers crossed this is a forever fix!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alrighty. I got the car back and the clunking noise is gone! I still find myself grimacing and waiting for it when I get in or out but it is solved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts