2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just changed my factory fill at 3900 miles. Lots of wear/break in on the engine.

Didn't go above 3000 rpm on the first 1000 miles, then slowly pushed it to 4000, 5000, redline at every 400 miles. 50/50 city and highway driving.

Filled it up with Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 and replaced with Mazda OEM filter.

Comments?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm no expert on UOA's but that looks pretty good to me. I like your oil choice, PP seems to be good oil. I'm at 1200 miles and just over 2 months of driving. I'm from the "Don't Baby it but don't Beat it" school of thought on breaking in new cars. I've got a couple free oil & filter changes coming from my dealer so I'll take it there at 4 months. After that I'll do my own changes with OE filters and probably PP also.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The moly aides in break-in. Probably should have left it in for at least 5k miles. Looks fine overall.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The moly aides in break-in. Probably should have left it in for at least 5k miles. Looks fine overall.
I'd leave mine in for 5k but I'm gonna bump up against the 4 month warranty thing. I'll have about 2500 miles on after the first 4 months. The build date on my car also tells me that this oil has been in for 8 months. That's long enough for me no matter how many miles.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Time isn't that big of a deal for modern oils. Unless it something drastic, 1 year + isn't hard on an oil.

The high levels of moly are great for the early engine miles. If you do change the oil early, make sure to use a high molly content oil like Mazda's high moly oil (not castrol).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Time isn't that big of a deal for modern oils. Unless it something drastic, 1 year + isn't hard on an oil.

The high levels of moly are great for the early engine miles. If you do change the oil early, make sure to use a high molly content oil like Mazda's high moly oil (not castrol).
What interval do you use? Warranty dictates 4 months or 5k miles.

·
Registered
228 Posts
What interval do you use? Warranty dictates 4 months or 5k miles.
I do 7,500 mi changes regardless of time but I will be bumping it up to 10k miles soon.

I used Pennzoil Platinum for my first oil change. Any recommendations on oil except the factory Mazda one?
That is a very good oil. I just finished an OCI of using that oil. I switched because I had to add over a quart during the OCI which is odd because my car used zero oil on the Castrol OE 0W-20 before. I'm trying the PU 5w-20 right now. It is a much more robust oil than the PP 0W-20 and hopefully I don't have to add any during the OCI.

What oil would you like to run? Here are some easy to find oils:
- Castrol Professional OE 0W-20 (should be the bulk oil at your Mazda dealership) Very stout oil.
- Mobil 1 0W-20 Great price at Walmart 24/7. Another great oil
- Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. Great oil, good price at walmart.

Any 0W-20 should be fine. If you worry about NOACK volatility and DI deposits, Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 is going to be as good as it gets.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I do 7,500 mi changes regardless of time but I will be bumping it up to 10k miles soon.

That is a very good oil. I just finished an OCI of using that oil. I switched because I had to add over a quart during the OCI which is odd because my car used zero oil on the Castrol OE 0W-20 before. I'm trying the PU 5w-20 right now. It is a much more robust oil than the PP 0W-20 and hopefully I don't have to add any during the OCI.

What oil would you like to run? Here are some easy to find oils:
- Castrol Professional OE 0W-20 (should be the bulk oil at your Mazda dealership) Very stout oil.
- Mobil 1 0W-20 Great price at Walmart 24/7. Another great oil
- Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. Great oil, good price at walmart.

Any 0W-20 should be fine. If you worry about NOACK volatility and DI deposits, Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 is going to be as good as it gets.
Do you have any concerns about the change intervals or oil spec grade concerning warranty for your car?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Any 0w20w will be fine. If I had to buy over the counter oil I would also buy Penzoil Plantinum. You will not see the Moly levels you see now on your next oil change.

The ideal lube for the Skyactive engine is the Mazda High Moly 0W-20 (VI 221) which is rather unique although the Toyota OEM 0W-20 (VI 216) has similar viscosity characteristics.

If you don't want to run Mazda oil, Toyota oil is also high in moly and can be purchased for less than Mazda oil but slightly more the Mobil 1. The Toyota, because of its additives has sort of a cult following by oil geeks.

Why all the talk about Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. | Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Mazda 0w-20 W/ Moly & Idemitsu 0w-20 SN | Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs | Bob Is The Oil Guy

I'll probably run Toyota oil in mazda3 as I have a Toyota Highlander that runs this oil.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Do you have any concerns about the change intervals or oil spec grade concerning warranty for your car?
My UOAs have come back with no fuel dilution and easy oil usage. I could go a long ways with little issues.

As for grades, any Xw-20 oil is adequate. the first number just indicates viscosity when cold. 0W-20 will have better extreme cold flow than a 5W-20, but they are both the same when the engine is warmed up. I don't live in Canada so 5W-20 works great for me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My UOAs have come back with no fuel dilution and easy oil usage. I could go a long ways with little issues.

As for grades, any Xw-20 oil is adequate. the first number just indicates viscosity when cold. 0W-20 will have better extreme cold flow than a 5W-20, but they are both the same when the engine is warmed up. I don't live in Canada so 5W-20 works great for me.
I ask because Mazda warranty requirements are 4 months or 5k miles with 0w-20 oil.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I ask because Mazda warranty requirements are 4 months or 5k miles with 0w-20 oil.
A couple things:

1) Mazda's OM in the USA clearly says "recommended oil" not required. they can't require 0W-20 for warranty purposes. In the USA, consumers are protected by the Magnuson-Moss Act. if you use a 5W-20, Mazda has to prove the oil responsible for the damage before denying warranty coverage.

2) in the USA, they recommend 7,500 miles or 6 months. It isn't required. Using more expensive oils and running longer is OK but highly recommended you have some sort of evidence showing the oil to be suitable for such use. A UOA with TBN, TAN, Flash point, Fuel %, etc. would be good documentation for this.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I drive my 2014 Mazda 3 2.0L HARD on the street. During the first 1,000 miles, I lost track of the number of times I was bouncing off the rev limiter while rowing through the gears. The engine experienced every which condition, low rpm cruising, high rpm full throttle blasts to redline, even high speed highway blasts, just to see what the 3 is made of.

I dumped the factory fill @ 1,000 miles in favor of Mobil 1 0w30. I'm using the thicker oil down here in Florida where is HOT AS HELL, and because I drive the car hard on a daily basis. I don't need super thin oil "protecting" my engine.

The owners manual says to use 5w30 in all other countries other then the US. I went with Mobil 1's 0w30 because it's on the thinner side of 30 but thicker then 20. Just my personal preference.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I concur with using 0w30 during hot weather. During summer, with air conditioning on, and when the engine was hot, it was making metallic noise with 0w20 Mazda oil. Mixing about 1/2 to 1 quart of Mobil 0w30 eliminated the noise.

·
Registered
964 Posts
3,900 miles, 3,700 miles... where are you getting these oil change intervals from? Isn't the recommended oil change interval 5,000 miles?

Thanks for posting the UOA, by the way, but I feel it deserves it's own thread for discussion. Many might miss the analysis because they have already seen the "First Oil Change" thread. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I dumped the factory fill @ 1,000 miles in favor of Mobil 1 0w30. I'm using the thicker oil down here in Florida where is HOT AS HELL, and because I drive the car hard on a daily basis. I don't need super thin oil "protecting" my engine.

Not sure what is considered "super thin oil" but the Mazda recommended oil stands out in this regard. Here are the viscosity indexes for comparison:
Mobil 1 0w-30- 166
Mobil 1 0w-20- 170
Mazda 0w-20- 216

1 - 18 of 18 Posts