2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to try out the Corksport solid shifter bushing after having my 2015 2.0 hatchback for two years now. It has 29K on it and feels like the rubber bushing have loosened up a bit.

Hoping to install these by next weekend. (might do an install/review on Youtube)

Attachments

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Please let us know how that mod works. I have only 6,600 miles and shifter is still totally precise. However, this mod is on my future “probable” list.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I’ve the CS short shift plate and bushing installed, only took me about 20-30mins for the bushing installation and roughly an hour for the plate. The shifting feeling is much more solid than the OEM setup.

Tip: you don’t have to remove the cable from the shifter base frame for the bushing installation and try not to drop anything under the centre console while installing the bushing :)

Sent from my Washing Machine using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Tip 2: while removing the OEM bushing, after taking out the OEM metal piece, just use a screwdriver to push the rubber bushing out of the hole from the top :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips! That's the exact setup I'd like to run.

At least the 3rd gens have bolts to place the bushings over, unlike older generations. I was watching tutorials for speed3's and it looked like a pain trying to keep the bushings all in place before bolting down. Will probably still drop something though haha.

The Corksport plate is adjustable right? Was looking a JBR's too but it looked like that one only had one option.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do!

I bought mine with 5k on it and the shift feel was pretty good up until recently (30k). This is also my first manual transmission so I don't really know what to expect as normal wear. I've started to notice same play in the shifter in gear and out of gear, specially 2 to 3.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No problem guys! Glad that it could help! :)

Unfortunately, the short shifter plate isn’t adjustable. However it dramatically improved the shifting experience so go for it!

One more tip, while installing the shifter plate, there’s a step which is to remove the shifter cable mount which is on the top of the transmission in order to install a set of higher bushings for the shifter plate to work properly. Because the cables are relatively tough and under pressure as well as that area is so closed to the firewall so it might need some strength when putting the cable mount back onto the transmission.

Also if you have the front tower bar installed, I’d suggest that remove the tower bar before the installation. Since it’s in the way and obstructing the battery removal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
And before you put everything else back like the battery, the intake and etc, get inside the car and try the shifter out, making sure that the plate is installed correctly and securely and won’t hit other components inside the engine bay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And before you put everything else back like the battery, the intake and etc, get inside the car and try the shifter out, making sure that the plate is installed correctly and securely and won’t hit other components inside the engine bay.

Thanks again for the tips! I installed the bushings today. They haven't eliminated the play in my shifter that I thought it would but it does feel slightly more solid. I guess my factory bushing were still in pretty good shape. I've considered them preventative maintenance. haha

Ive noticed that the play is actually coming from where the ball of the shifter is held into the shifter assembly. Are there any solutions to replace the plastic joint?

I definitely still want to get a heavier shift knob and a short shift plate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please let us know how that mod works. I have only 6,600 miles and shifter is still totally precise. However, this mod is on my future “probable” list.
I've installed the bushing today. They haven't totally eliminated the play in my shifter that I was hoping but they do feel good.

I haven't noticed much difference but the factory bushing were still in decent shape. I've considered this "mod" as preventative maintenance. Worth the buy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey, I've uploaded a short DIY video on the bushing install if you are interested in trying them out. I notice more of a difference now after driving with the corksport bushings for awhile. Worth the $40 to me. I bet the JBR ones are just as nice too compared to stock

Link to video:
https://youtu.be/_d97ehxQPQw

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
If you have a manual transmission, the addition of the short shift plate and shifter bushings should be one of your first mods.

My shifts feel more precise, less distance to go and less overall movement, and the shifter slides into gear with a more solid feeling than it used to.

They are both worth the cost in my opinion.
CK

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you have a manual transmission, the addition of the short shift plate and shifter bushings should be one of your first mods.

My shifts feel more precise, less distance to go and less overall movement, and the shifter slides into gear with a more solid feeling than it used to.

They are both worth the cost in my opinion.
CK
Agreed!

This is my first manual transmission but I can already tell with just the bushings how important the two "mods" are if you want to improve the feel/performance.

Plus the relatively cheap cost make for a nice place to start.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts