2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Corksport is close to beginning production on these; if the numbers are true, these are some substantial gains, especially on the 2.5 which benefits over a broad powerband. I'm curious to know if adding something like the intake or exhaust (especially the exhaust, which requires cutting of the exhaust system after the catalyst) would mess up my warranty.

2010 Mazda3 Intake & Exhaust Test Results

·
Registered
701 Posts
An exhaust system will never void the warranty. Aftermarket parts never void warranties on cars, unless that part breaks what you are trying to get them to repair under that warranty. Even then, it is just the repair directly related to that part.

I remember when I had an issue with my 2001 Trans Am. The driver side window was not going up and down straight. The dealership tried to tell me since I tinted my windows, that it could be the tint causing the problem and they were not going to cover the repairs to realign the window and motor. After telling them how stupid they were and asked if they honestly believe I would fall for that BS, they fixed.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
It looks like they're getting some good gains and I'm pretty surprised that the stock motor is underrated. 10-12hp throughout the powerband and up to 20lb-ft of torque is pretty significant for a N/A motor. I really want to hear how they sound though. Hopefully it's closer to Borla and not a raspy fart-can.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a link to the exhaust on a 2.0, don't know how close this would be to final production sound though but I imagine pretty close if not identical. Of course there are a lot of variables with this, camera mic quality, its an interior recording, etc.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Well, the 2.0 and 2.5 surely sound different, especially since the 2.5 has dual exhaust tips. Also, this is a dyno run inside a building. Everything is echoing and the mic isn't quality. I'd certainly like to see a better video of:

2.5L
@ idle
@ takoff
doing a drive-by around 30-40 mph

·
Registered
149 Posts
Most later-model cars either have a bolt flange or sleeve coupling for the exhaust after the cat. There are very few I've seen where you physically have to "cut" the exhaust after the cat. Shouldn't affect your warranty.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is exactly what i am after for my 2.5l 3gt.

" a subtle but noticeably lower tone at cruise/partial throttle and a pleasantly authoritative note at wide open throttle"

I dont want to listen to "WAHHHHHHHH" whenever i'm doing normal driving, but a nice low VROOM when i step on it would make me so happy :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Anyone have any idea on cost? Seems like a very good improvement.

And by the way, it does say on the website that if you want the street legal exhaust, you do have to cut the exhaust pipe. It's still technically bolt-on since you could hacksaw the exhaust and use the band clamps. I always weld in my exhausts though, those dang band clamps always break at the worse time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd never cut anything on my car. I highly doubt the question of street legal or otherwise coming up if the car isn't making a super-loud rice-racer sound. This is below the lowering of my car on my to-do list so i dont see an officer crawling under there to check either. :)

The cost of the 09 and earlier pipes might indicate what they will run for our models, ours will be a bit more i'd imagine for the duel exhaust look.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
I really want to hear what this sounds like before I bite. Also, I have a feeling that the Borla is going to sound better, though it may not perform as well. Who knows what the situation will be like when it comes out in 2-3 months.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, I've found especially with 4-bangers, the exhaust note can be a real crapshoot. It can either be really ricer & blatty, or can sound nice. I've got a Magnaflow on my P5, and it sounds nice. Probably about as nice as I could hope for on a 4-cyl. My last car was a GTI VR6 with a Neuspeed exhaust, and NO 4-cylinder will ever be able to compete with that sound. That said...the reliability on the Mazda has been 100% better than the VW.

·
Zoomin' Senior Member
356 Posts
So, who is going to jump on this first :001_smile:
Not really jumping on CorkSport. But I couldn't wait, I put on Magnaflow. Sounds much better than stock. Bad thing is my gas mileage is suffering.:blush 1: Now just waiting for eibach, then intake.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not really jumping on CorkSport. But I couldn't wait, I put on Magnaflow. Sounds much better than stock. Bad thing is my gas mileage is suffering.:blush 1: Now just waiting for eibach, then intake.
Wow, I didn't know they had a kit out for our car yet. I have been checking back on their web site but with nothing new. Where did you get it, or is it a custom install? That really surprises me about the MPG. With the cars I have added exhaust I have never seen a MPG loss unless it is caused but my right foot :yes:

·
Registered
246 Posts
OMG. I just jizzed my pants. LOL!!! Dam corksports exhaust is gonna sound clean when it gets release! I went to my buddies muffler shop Ledezma Muffler and they quoted me $450 for a dynomax super turbo exhaust w/ mandrel bends, resonator and 2.5 inch piping installed... SO Im on the same vote as geddyhanzo! Dont know if I can wait!!! But Im down to jump on that!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts