2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some valley girl backed into the passenger side of my car in a parking lot today. I had been sitting there waiting for other traffic for a good 15 seconds when she started her big 'ol Ford Flex and threw it into reverse without even looking out the back window.

She started insulting my appearance while I silently assessed the damage, and told me not to call the cops. This was a red flag so I immediately called the cops to get a report. She threatened to leave while I was on the phone with the dispatcher. I don't know what is wrong with people.

Anyway, she hit the corner of her (high-mounted) bumper right between the 2 doors. There is a fairly deep scrape in both doors and a lot of small scratches. It might be hard to tell in the photo because of all the road salt on the car.

Anything I should look out for when this hits the body shop? Paint concerns, etc.? My Mazda dealer doesn't have its own body shop, but the dealer is associated with one. I'm probably inclined to go to an independent shop because of this.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
What a bummer.:argh 1:

I assume you have her Reg number..right?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't even really see the scrapes, might be all the dirt...I was expecting a big dent in the side panel? So you lucked out there I suppose

But I have a bad scrape against a concrete pillar and it also dented the quarter panel. Took it to the body shop my dealer is associated with and got quoted for $1900. I'm also looking around for other body shops because I feel like thats just too much, but my damage is much worse than yours. Supply & demand I suppose

Attachments

·
Working Class Hero
3,692 Posts
Some valley girl backed into the passenger side of my car in a parking lot today. I had been sitting there waiting for other traffic for a good 15 seconds when she started her big 'ol Ford Flex and threw it into reverse without even looking out the back window.

She started insulting my appearance while I silently assessed the damage, and told me not to call the cops. This was a red flag so I immediately called the cops to get a report. She threatened to leave while I was on the phone with the dispatcher. I don't know what is wrong with people.

Anyway, she hit the corner of her (high-mounted) bumper right between the 2 doors. There is a fairly deep scrape in both doors and a lot of small scratches. It might be hard to tell in the photo because of all the road salt on the car.

Anything I should look out for when this hits the body shop? Paint concerns, etc.? My Mazda dealer doesn't have its own body shop, but the dealer is associated with one. I'm probably inclined to go to an independent shop because of this.
Aww man, that sucks. Would have almost been worth it to grab her plate number and let her fly, then hang her out to dry. Make sure she pays!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a bummer.:argh 1:

I assume you have her Reg number..right?
Oh yeah. She stuck around and I got a police report filed. No problems there.

I can't even really see the scrapes, might be all the dirt...I was expecting a big dent in the side panel? So you lucked out there I suppose

But I have a bad scrape against a concrete pillar and it also dented the quarter panel. Took it to the body shop my dealer is associated with and got quoted for $1900. I'm also looking around for other body shops because I feel like thats just too much, but my damage is much worse than yours. Supply & demand I suppose
The panel popped itself back out mostly. Here's a slightly clearer view of the dent.

Yours does definitely look worse. And it covers 3 body pieces so that's rough.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
She threatened to leave while you were on the phone getting the police? So then it would be hit and run? As you said, I don't know what is wrong with people!

My new theory of body shops, especially on someone else's dime, and luckily one I have luckily not had to test yet, is this: call a dealer of higher-end machinery that doesn't have their own body shop and see who they use. I could be wrong but around here it doesn't seem that the Benz and Lexus dealers have their own body shop. (Some direct knowledge: boss has a Benz that needed body repair at one point and it was an independent shop they sent him to. Was very busy and had to wait a few weeks to get it fixed.) Porsche might be a good one too. Something like these. Someone is repairing these cars and they would have to be doing it to a reasonably high standard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had some very good luck with paintless dent removal in the past, and I'd definitely recommend trying that first. Repainted panels will definitely be a red flag if you ever intend to sell.

In fact, I'm going to be seeing the paintless dent place soon on account of some piece of crap at work that backed into my bumper (and didn't even leave a note)...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Bit of a slippery slope. The dent in the rear door looks pretty creased and will be beyond PDR work if you want it to look perfect. I'd assume paint damage is through the primer though, so you'll need a respray. Unfortunately, this will mean blending the paint into surrounding panels. The downside is that anyone with a paint thickness gun will know you had paint work done. The upside is it's a Mazda3, so this is unlikely to have a significant impact, if any.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts