2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Interesting that the 2016 is faster but their results are similar to what I've personally seen. I have no idea about their methodology though. Are these just reported results @[email protected] or independently tested by some third party?

·
Registered
207 Posts
This a compilation of test results from various publications. For instance, the 6.8 for a 2016 came from a Car and Driver test that I would consider an outlier as none of the other tests of a Mazda 3
with this drive train get under 7 secs.

MAZDA 0-60 TIMES
Mazda 0 to 60 Times
LIST OF MAZDA PERFORMANCE SPECS
Welcome to the most complete Mazda 0-60 & quarter mile times resource online offering a comprehensive index of Mazda 0 to 60 car specs, including Mazda MX-5 Miata, Mazda RX7, Mazda CX-3, Mazda Millenia, MazdaSpeed 3, Mazda6, Mazda CX5, Mazda RX8 and many more! Please take into account that the Mazda 0 to 60 times and Quarter mile data listed on this car performance page is gathered from numerous credible sources. There are a great deal of factors that affect the Mazda cars 0-60 stats, so different sources may test the same vehicle and each may arrive at a unique 0-60 mph and quarter mile result. Zero to 60
times does not guarantee the accuracy of any of the Mazda 0-60 mph times. Our car specs website is considered by many, to be the most easy-to-find directory for car statistics including classic cars, hybrid cars, luxury cars, muscle cars, sports cars and more! Please note that some 0-62 (0–100 km/h) times on this website are converted to 0 to 60 acceleration times. Bookmark us and keep checking back for Mazda cars 0-60 mph updates, since we constantly upload new 0 to 60 mph and quarter mile statistics.

Quarter mile times are more telling as they appear much more consistent, all being between 15.4 and 15.6, but it is not so practical for us to run that test on the street.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm going to do a few more 0-60, 0-100, and 1/4 mile runs and see what's what. I don't think there's any doubt that sub 7 second times are attainable; I'm not only speaking for myself here so ymmv. I have to find a way to get the power down because of the endless wheel spin. I'm looking for dates when our local drag strip is open for public testing. I posted a question about a piece of timing equipment I've been eyeballing but I've gotten no feedback. Regardless of the outcome, it's still fun as hell to play with the car!

·
Registered
207 Posts
My son was home from college with the 2016 Golf 1.8TSI I use to drive before passing it on to him. Took it out for 0-60 under the same conditions as I did my 3. TC Off 7.9 and TC on 8.0. It spun its skinny 195s all the way through first gear, tc on or off.
Thank goodness my new car isn't as slow as my last, though it might be given equal rubber. Vdub Feels like a magic carpet ride though compared to the rigid 3. I did not even bother to dodge the shallower pot holes.

That being said, I still enjoy the driving the quieter, plusher Mazda with its excellent Bose sound more. I like looking at it more as well.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My son was home from college with the 2016 Golf 1.8TSI I use to drive before passing it on to him. Took it out for 0-60 under the same conditions as I did my 3. TC Off 7.9 and TC on 8.0. It spun its skinny 195s all the way through first gear, tc on or off.
Thank goodness my new car isn't as slow as my last, though it might be given equal rubber. Vdub Feels like a magic carpet ride though compared to the rigid 3. I did not even bother to dodge the shallower pot holes.

That being said, I still enjoy the driving the quieter, plusher Mazda with its excellent Bose sound more. I like looking at it more as well.
Nice post with good feedback, thanks! I'm surprised that the 3 is so much harder than the Golf...but this is how we compare notes and get information from one car enthusiast to another.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Weight is not much different , within 50 lbs depending on the source. The 20 has a lot more equipment, but significant weight savings were incurred using the twist beam rear so it's pretty much a wash.

Here is list of published times for the Mazda 3 Mazda 0-60 Times & Mazda Quarter Mile Times | Mazda MX-5 Miata, RX8, MazdaSpeed3, Mazda6, CX-3, CX-5, RX7 & more 0 to 60 stats!
Looks like no one has been able to approach the time you have posted with either generation.
From that list it looks like the new generation is one of the fastest models. Given all the other improvements, not sure why it gets so much hate.

·
Registered
152 Posts
From that list it looks like the new generation is one of the fastest models. Given all the other improvements, not sure why it gets so much hate.
The current M3 has the largest base engine HP in its class. Between that and the AWD, that's the reason I bought mine.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Nice post with good feedback, thanks! I'm surprised that the 3 is so much harder than the Golf...but this is how we compare notes and get information from one car enthusiast to another.
I'm sure tire size/profile plays a role. My old Golf has 195/65/15s

In the following comparison test that replaces my 2016 Golf with a 2019 SE riding on 225/45/17s, Car and Driver rates the ride the same between Mazda 3 and Golf with both being better than a comparable Civic, Corolla or Elantra. The ride of those cars must be punishing.
I love studying those comparison charts.
Something that stood out to me was rolling start 5-60 acceleration, to me a better real world test of acceleration than 0-60.
Mazda 3 beats the Civic Sport by 3/10s of a second.
Turbo lag?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm sure tire size/profile plays a role. My old Golf has 195/65/15s

In the following comparison test that replaces my 2016 Golf with a 2019 SE riding on 225/45/17s, Car and Driver rates the ride the same between Mazda 3 and Golf with both being better than a comparable Civic, Corolla or Elantra. The ride of those cars must be punishing.
I love studying those comparison charts.
Something that stood out to me was rolling start 5-60 acceleration, to me a better real world test of acceleration than 0-60.
Mazda 3 beats the Civic Sport by 3/10s of a second.
Turbo lag?
As I have driven civic with 1.5 engine, golf 1.5 and mazda 3 with skyactive x engine all I can say is that either mazda has totally ruined suspension, steering and brakes for US market or this test is complete BS.

My guess is that Mazda is refusing to pay car media for sponzorship and this is the result.
Sorry, but unless that golf was equiped with GTI suspension to score drive fun factor of standard golf higher than new m3 is nonsense.
IMHO standard golf and standard passat are two most boring cars to drive that I have driven in all my life.

Currently I drive 2016 Audi A3 with sport suspension and with many good things I have to say about that car fun to drive factor is not one of them.

Can not comment about the engine performance because we don’t get this engine here in Europe.
BTW 1.5 in civic is great engine but is ruined by rev hang.

Sorry for my english.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts