2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
GPS antenna connects direct to CMU and Japan uses the same GPS you and me uses. There is GPS diagnostic in CMU
Hold for +2s
  • Volume dial
  • AUDIO button
  • FAVORITES button
  • Type 72
  • be outside in a clear to sky place

Check if the antenna is firmly attached, looks like you did all the usual troubleshooting, reset, card write enable, toolbox, someone would chime in with more ideas.
Edit: Check also in diagnostic #61
61​
Vehicle Signal (Unit Status)​
GPS antenna signal input condition and SD card insertion condition

·
Registered
272 Posts
All your test are normal, something is interfering with your Navigation, remove all tweaks and consider to upgrade to a MZD higher version.
Are you saying you've removed the CMU and confirmed not cable is attached?

·
Registered
272 Posts
There is very little information from Japan about accessories but I found a page of the audio diagram you may have in your car.
I don't know Japanese but with my phone camera and Google translate I deciphered all Kanji titles. It'll be interesting if you move the GPS antenna (black cable) from (Vehicle Position Calculator) and plug in direct to the CMU, I would disconnect also 920-318 data going to CMU. Lets hope CMU GPS antenna input is not disable.
It's possible the device next to this little box is not a TAU but instead a TV Tuner.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I learned since then in Japan they are obsessed with GPS accuracy, that's the use of the above module (VPC) it's a Gyro unit that combined with GPS data improves map location.
I don't think this unit that was the OP problem, CMU was reporting exact location.
The diagram I found it by googling, there is little info from Japan, since then I discovered an old thread in this forum where @Withe posted more audio diagrams from Japan, check it out: Digital TV .
Answering your question in the other thread, no you won't lose any feature by loading EU firmware, FM radio is the only issue for that you need to replace TAU or install an FM expander.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Maybe passenger side behind glove box next to TAU,I don't know. Let us know if you find it.
It doesn't use Canbus so you could disconnect it altogether.
Sorry, wrong info TAU is always on the right in a LHD or RHD, in your car it should be on driver side.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've looked at DTC and it's CMU detecting a current draw of 31ma or more from the Aliexpress GPS antenna circuit. Contact vendor and ask if he knows how much current antenna draws.
If you still have concerns second hand GPS OEM antennas (2014-2018) are inexpensive and they are the same in all models but got different part numbers, check Poland Allegro or Ebay. Make sure it has Blue RF connector and long enough cable to reach where it's mounted, Green plug it's an extension.

·
Registered
272 Posts
First picture: Yes that's it but wire is very short.

Second pict: Empty port is not gyro antenna input, first blue plug and gray wire it's the antenna but also that plug won't fit CMU.

If you want to continue the search trace gray cable back, Mazda 3 GPS antenna it's mounted in dashboard close to windshield.
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Product Automotive design Automotive exterior Naval architecture Electric blue

Antenna you've bought it's correct in frequency and voltage but the system would complain for not be in OEM specs but I think if current is not excessive CMU would handle.
If everything it's working and DTC wouldn't affect operation keep using it. Although I would recommend pull all plugs from the unused gyro unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts