2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I have mazda 6 USA with firmware 51.00.351 but now my car in Poland, i want update to EU firmware. Wht do you think? Can i do this, can be problem wtih it? :surprise:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,

You can actually change the region without even reinstalling, just by doing a reset after changing a value in an XML file. But you will have issues with the tuner. The European tuner is actually different from the NA one. In the US, the FM frequencies are only for odd decimal because they reference the 200kHz channel center frequency. In Europe we use (depending on the country) 200kHz for high power stations and 100MHz for normal power stations and in some cases in Italy even 50kHz channels have been used. Try looking in Ebay for a tuner unit (TAU) for the Mazda 6.

The codes are (depending on your setup):
GMM4-66-DRX - AM/FM;ETR(RDS);AUDIO PANEL:W/COMMAND SW.,W/4 SPEAKER.W/BLUETOOTH HANDSFREESYS.>W/O LANE DEPARTURE WARNING
GMM6-66-DRX - AM/FM;ETR(RDS&DAB);AUDIO PANEL:W/COMMAND SW.,W/6 SPEAKER.W/BLUETOOTH HANDSFREESYS
GMM9-66-DRX - AM/FM;ETR(RDS&DAB);AUDIO PANEL:W/COMMAND SW.,W/11 SPEAKER.W/BLUETOOTH HANDSFREESYS <- Bose Branded

DAB Might not work for you as you probably don't have the different antenna amp (GMK6-66-9N0) and the second coax cable running from the antenna amp (GMG5-66-F30).

Attached there's a screenshot of the parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you install the EU version you don't need to change anything but you won't have polish language. If you install the US version, edit /jci/settings/configurations/maz_cmu-root.xml, change the default region to 1 (see below) and do a factory reset or just remove the config db and reboot.

<!-- Region: 1-EU, 2-NA, 3-4A, 4-ChinaTaiwan, 5-JP -->
<Node key="Region" data="S16" value="1"/>

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed the European firmware 56.00.230 for mazda 6 for the American region (NA). After the firmware I became the Russian language in the settings. The tuner now finds odd channels, but the range has shifted and now the channels are not in their places. I do not know how to cure this. There was a guy from Poland with an American model. I also tried to solve this issue, but I do not know how it ended - he did not appear on the forum for a long time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Zibert,

As I mentioned in post #2 of the thread, you also need to change the tuner to an European one as the US tuners are different. The differences are most probably in the tuner firmware, but since we don't have a documented way of changing it, you'll just have to change the tuner. In my post, I even gave the part numbers specific for Mazda 6. In my opinion you can also go for a Mazda 3, CX-3, Miata or CX-5 tuner, but this is not verified. Issues to watch out for:
* Some tuner models don't have Lane Departure Warning so you might loose that if you get the wrong one. Get one from a car that has Lane Departure Warning.
* Get the Bose tuner only if you have the Bose AMP. Get the 6 speaker tuner if you have the non-Bose CMU. The Bose tuner sends the speaker signal as line-out to the Bose AMP while the non-Bose tuner sends the signal amplified directly to the speakers.
* Some tuner models also have an extra antenna plug for the DAB antenna. Since you probably don't have one installed in your car, you'll leave that disconnected and you'll loose the functionality.
You can get a Mazda CMU Tuner module from multiple ebay sales. Let me know if you need assistance.

Cheers,
Răzvan

·
Registered
306 Posts
You can just flash the EU firmware over the US one. No need for other hardware unless you plan on using DAB Radio.

Radio stations will work once you are on EU firmware. Russian language among others will be there too.

If you have a an american SD card for maps you will need to purchase a EU one in order to use navigation in Poland.

PM if you need more assistance

·
Registered
41 Posts
As I already mentioned and as Zibert already discovered, the tuner modules are different between the US and EU Mazdas. Note that Zibert already successfully put the EU firmware on the US CMU and everything worked correctly _except_ the FM radio.
He actually needs a different tuner since FM is different between US and EU. In the US the channels are 200kHz wide on odd frequencies and in the EU they are 100kHz wide.
Assuming that I get my hand on an EU tuner and disassemble it in the following weeks, I'm pretty sure that I can give guidelines for converting it from US FM frequencies to EU frequencies by flashing its firmware. We need to dump it from one tuner and flash it to another.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dear D3vi1, I have similar issue with radio. I bougth mazda cx 5 2016 GT with bose system. Car is from USA, but I live in Lithuania. I managed to make Nav SD card with europe maps work on US version of Mazda OS. And I dont want to change CMU from NA to EU, just because I dont see why EU is better, when everything is working. Just have problems wtih radio frequency. Previuosly in post above you mensionted about jci. My question is how to modify JCI? I need instruction from begining till end (how to connect to JCI, or just simple i can to backup of jci with tweak, modify with notepad, and then some how (I dont know how) install modified jci to mazda?

Regards,
Max

·
Registered
7 Posts
As I already mentioned and as Zibert already discovered, the tuner modules are different between the US and EU Mazdas. Note that Zibert already successfully put the EU firmware on the US CMU and everything worked correctly _except_ the FM radio.
He actually needs a different tuner since FM is different between US and EU. In the US the channels are 200kHz wide on odd frequencies and in the EU they are 100kHz wide.
Assuming that I get my hand on an EU tuner and disassemble it in the following weeks, I'm pretty sure that I can give guidelines for converting it from US FM frequencies to EU frequencies by flashing its firmware. We need to dump it from one tuner and flash it to another.

Hello Friend! It turned out to understand what caused the frequency offset? Is it a software problem or an apparatus problem?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's a tuner unit firmware issue. The RS485 tuner addressing is done in using channel units instead of absolute frequencies. As such, any US channel number would be the double frequency in Europe. We don't have any dumped firmware images for it so there's no chance you can convert it on your own. If anyone is willing to donate a US TAU and an EU TAU, I can try to dump their firmware.
Since this is a difficult operation, I wouldn't recommend it and would recommend just buying a TAU from an European Ebay seller.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's a tuner unit firmware issue. The RS485 tuner addressing is done in using channel units instead of absolute frequencies. As such, any US channel number would be the double frequency in Europe. We don't have any dumped firmware images for it so there's no chance you can convert it on your own. If anyone is willing to donate a US TAU and an EU TAU, I can try to dump their firmware.
Since this is a difficult operation, I wouldn't recommend it and would recommend just buying a TAU from an European Ebay seller.
Hi!
Is there a question to describe the procedure for removing the TAU firmware dump?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi!
Is there a question to describe the procedure for removing the TAU firmware dump?
I am working on this right now. I've asked a kid that has some spare time to fill the Tuner model DB with their features from the European gEPC and I'm going to pop the cover on my first tuner in the following days to read the firmware.
Basically, they have the following features:
  • FM with a 50kHz channel spacer (no RDS, for Vietnam and other countries), 100kHz channel spacer (with RDS, EU), 200kHz (US and HD Radio)
  • AM with 5 kHz channel spacer (Short Wave) or 9kHz channel Spacer (Medium Wave)
  • Optional Sirius/XM Satellite Radio Support
  • Optional DAB+ tuner (only terrestrial, not satellite)
  • Optional CD Input on some cars
  • Optional Lane Departure Warning support on some cars
  • Optional Automatic Headlight support (I don't know what the relationship is)
  • Optional RDS for 5/100kHz 9/100kHz and 9/200kHz configurations
  • 4 Amplified 4ohm outputs (4/6speaker configuration)
  • 4 lineouts for Bose Amps
My EU Tuner is 9/100kHz with Bose line-out, LDW/CD/AutomaticHeadlight.
I also have access to three DAB+ EU Tuner with 9/100kHz and Bose line-out.
I am waiting for a 9/100kHz tuner from a Mazda 2 without DAB+ and in a 4 Amplified outputs configuration.

My thinking is that we can convert a US Tuner to an EU Tuner, while loosing HD-Radio and Sirius/XM. What needs to be done is to make sure that you get the firmware for the same features (LDW,CD,AutomaticHeadlights,externalAmp).

If anyone has access to the US/Chinese/Japanese/Korean/LatAm EPC, maybe they can also tell me all their list of tuner models in an XLS like the following:
PartNo, Car Catalogue, LHD/RHD, VIN Range, CD Input, Lane Departure, Automatic Headlights, Speakers (4 speakers/6 speakers/9 speakers/11 speakers), Bose, FM Tuner (50kHz/100kHz/200kHz), RDS, AM Tuner (5 kHz/9kHz), HD Radio, Sirius/XM, DAB+, ISDB-Tsb, T-DMB
GMS3-66-DRX,GL,LHD,300000-,TRUE,unk,unk,6speakers,FALSE,100kHz,TRUE,9kHz,FALSE,FALSE,TRUE,FALSE,FALSE

Remember to try the following cars BM,BN,GJ 300000-,GL,KE,KF,DJ,DK,DL,TC,ND in both RHD and LHD configuration.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have an update.
I've received a non-Bose TAU unit from a Mazda2 (DC3E-66-DRX). I've opened it up and I can tell you that it has an Macronix 25L1633e 16MB SOP8 SPI NOR Flash. As soon as I get a SOP8 clamp I'll try to dump it.

I also have access to the following EU TAU units:
BPN6-66-DRX - W/CD, W/Lane Departure Warning, W/Bluetooth Handsfree Sys, W/High Beam Control, W/9-Speaker (Bose) - 100 kHz FM channel (EU with RDS) and 9 kHz AM channel (EU) - Mazda 3 BM
BAEM-66-DRX - W/CD, W/9-Speaker (Bose) - 100 kHz FM channel (EU with RDS) and 9 kHz AM channel (EU) and DAB- Mazda 3 BN
DD2A-66-DRX - w/7-Speaker (Bose), W/Lane Departure Warning - 100 kHz FM channel (EU with RDS) and 9 kHz AM channel (EU) and DAB - CX-3 DK
KF1H-66-DRX - w/10-Speaker (Bose) - 100 kHz FM channel (EU with RDS) and 9 kHz AM channel (EU) and DAB - CX-5 KF

So basically we have access to the following EU combinations:
FM+AM+RDS - line-out for Bose amp (Mazda 3/BM)
FM+AM+DAB+RDS - amplified (Mazda 2)
FM+AM+DAB+RDS - line-out for Bose amp (Mazda 3/BN, CX-3/DK, CX-5/KF)

If the admins can fix the image uploads, I'll also upload photos of the TAU Motherboard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys! I have mazda 6 USA with firmware 51.00.351 but now my car in Poland, i want update to EU firmware. Wht do you think? Can i do this, can be problem wtih it?
I had V33_NA installed (mazda USA). I have installed 56.00.530A_EU without problems with Polish language.
Only problem that after that You see the same radio stations as earlier but on wrong frequencies. I had to change tuner to KA1K 66 DRX and now I have all stations on good frequenties

I ha

1 - 20 of 64 Posts