2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just installed the new 74.00.230A firmware yesterday and immediately noticed the much bigger fonts and UI. Personally I thought the previous UI had the text in Android Auto (clock, street names, etc.) a bit small, considering that the 7-inch screen is farther away than most cars that put it in the middle of the dash.

Mazda seems to have realized this and "fixed" it but now it goes the other way, it makes some text and UI elements so big that it doesn't fit properly, for example the arrival card now it's awkwardly cut off and you have to scroll like 3 times to get to the bottom. This is probably also an Android Auto issue, they should balance better the elements cause street names and the bar are an OK size, it's just some other elements that seem too big.

Anyone else noticing this on their other screens? I know there are 8 and 9 inch versions of this and I wonder if they updated the DPI only for the smaller screens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, just installed the new 74.00.230A firmware yesterday and immediately noticed the much bigger fonts and UI. Personally I thought the previous UI had the text in Android Auto (clock, street names, etc.) a bit small, considering that the 7-inch screen is farther away than most cars that put it in the middle of the dash.

Mazda seems to have realized this and "fixed" it but now it goes the other way, it makes some text and UI elements so big that it doesn't fit properly, for example the arrival card now it's awkwardly cut off and you have to scroll like 3 times to get to the bottom. This is probably also an Android Auto issue, they should balance better the elements cause street names and the bar are an OK size, it's just some other elements that seem too big.

Anyone else noticing this on their other screens? I know there are 8 and 9 inch versions of this and I wonder if they updated the DPI only for the smaller screens.
Hi how about Mazda 3 2013 with 275 millage, it is still wort it?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 GT
45 Posts
I just had the dealer update my Mazda 6 with 8" screen from 70.00.021 to 74.00.230, and I also noticed the DPI change with android auto. I do not like it as it looks like the aspect ratio is off (UI looks like it's stretched). I hope Mazda reverts this change at least with 8" screen.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just had the dealer update my Mazda 6 with 8" screen from 70.00.021 to 74.00.230, and I also noticed the DPI change with android auto. I do not like it as it looks like the aspect ratio is off (UI looks like it's stretched). I hope Mazda reverts this change at least with 8" screen.
can you show how it looks like?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have photos right now and I'll post them later, but I noticed other stuff since the update. I didn't know why Google Maps search results wasn't showing me the address (even the city) of some results, and I thought maybe they just didn't have that information in their Google Maps pages, or some error like that, but it turns out that if a business has more info than its address (e.g. type of place, etc.), then the address will be pushed off the info card with no way to see it.

I have the AAWireless device from Indiegogo which is produced by a team led by a prominent Android developer who specializes in Android Auto related apps like Headunit Reloaded, and it lets one change the DPI so I can post some comparisons on how it looks natively, vs. more or less how it used to.

·
Banned
92 Posts
Here are some pictures. I've gotten a bit used to it and it doesn't look as bad as it initially did to me.
Though imo, the bottom nav bar is still a little too big.
@enlil @andy_o @AsteriX
Fw74.00.234A wireless carplay software included for new cmu (for 2021 10" non touchscreen) Mazda AA/CP built-in code dpi set at 141.

Fw70-fw70.00.367 for (7"-8" touchscreen) Mazda AA/Carplay built-in dpi code set at 132.

Unofficial AA Tru_go has the best dpi optimization for (7"-8" touchscreen) hands down (imo) , undisclosed by Radarwild.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry I didn't post the screencaps cause I realized they had some personal info later, and I haven't been driving far, but in any case, I can control DPI now with the AAWireless dongle. The big UI on the new firmware does kinda suck though, maybe they optimized the DPI for big screens and left us with 7" screens hanging.

·
Registered
439 Posts
UPDATE your ANDROID AUTO to latest it is NOT the 74 Firmware but your AA App on PHONE.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@enlil @andy_o @AsteriX
Fw74.00.234A wireless carplay software included for new cmu (for 2021 10" non touchscreen) Mazda AA/CP built-in code dpi set at 141.

Fw70-fw70.00.367 for (7"-8" touchscreen) Mazda AA/Carplay built-in dpi code set at 132.

Unofficial AA Tru_go has the best dpi optimization for (7"-8" touchscreen) hands down (imo) , undisclosed by Radarwild.
Thank you for the confirmation. I'm getting around with it with the AAWireless dongle which is a device that goes into the USB port of an AA head unit and then the phone connects to it via official (as far as the phone is concerned) wireless Android Auto. Since it's a kind of proxy (project evolved form the AAGateway app at XDA), it lets me do some tweaking like the DPI settings. I can even force the split screen Android Auto on my small 7-inch screen, not that it's of any use to me, but I've tweaked DPI to a comfortable setting, similar to what it was in previous Mazda firmware.

·
Registered
1 Posts
UPDATE your ANDROID AUTO to latest it is NOT the 74 Firmware but your AA App on PHONE.
Hello ASH8, first I want to say thank you for all your work and help on these forums as this has helped my do my own installs in my Mazda and my parent's Mazda as well.

I am curious as to what user Cmuhoukenni was referring to then with the dpi values he mentioned? Can I be confident that if I update to version 74, text will look the same in AA as it currently does in version 70-367?I checked the Android Auto app in the playstore and I see mine is up to date, but I am not sure why the text would look funny for enlil & andy_o right after they update the firmware?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
As far as I understood, AA in FW 74 is mainly developed for larger screens (with different dpi), as FW 74 is meant for larger screens. If you install this FW 74 to an older/smaller screen, then the new dpi of the FW will change the appearance of AA as shown in the photos here in the thread (text will look bigger?).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts