2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Finally Turned Off Weather Alerts

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  RandyWalters 
#1 ·
I'm in So Calif on the coast and ever since i bought this car a year ago i keep getting various Severe Storm Warnings and Flash Flood Alerts that pop up on my screen from various counties that are 100 to 200 miles away from me, even though the weather in my own area is just fine. Sometimes i'll get several from various surrounding counties while i'm out running errands and it's annoying to have to keep pressing IGNORE all the time. Sometimes they pop up several times per hour and it was getting ridiculous.

I've been googling how to turn them off but the instructions and responses i've found online for the 2020-2021 Mazda 3 to disable these notifications don't match the menu options my car has.

I did discover that it's probalby coming from SiriusXM but i haven't had Sirius for almost a year now, so i finally navigated to Source List > SiriusXM > pressed Menu > then scrolled down to the Sirius XM Settings menu and found a "Traffic & Weather Now" category, and in that there's a list of various cities around the country and discovered that "Los Angeles" was check-marked. That probably happened when i was in my free Sirius Trial period that i soon cancelled. I couldn't undo that checkmark, but when i scrolled up and check-marked "No City Selected" that removed the LA checkmark and so far in the past few weeks i have not gotten any more Weather Alerts from the surrounding areas. I'm hoping this stops them once and for all.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
If you have an iPhone, there's also Settings > Notifications (scroll down) > Govt Alerts > Emergency Alerts and Public Safety Alerts. Agreed can be annoying af.
I'm on Android and there is similar settings to turn off Emergency Alerts and Amber Alerts etc. Wifey has an iPhone and we've also turned off all those notifications. When these notifications go out, we hear it on everybody else's phones all around us then we get to ask "What's that alert about?"

The annoying thing about the Sirius Weather Alerts is that i'm at the coast (between Manhattan Beach and Marina Del Rey) and the weather in LA can be clear, but when i look to the east i can see the massive billowing thunder clouds in the Big Bear Mountain area and Riverside areas etc but those storms and flash floods are over 120 miles from me. These are normal weather patterns in the LA area, the crazy weather is far away in the mountains and upper and lower deserts, not in the LA Basin. I already watched the morning news and weather and i know whats going on in those areas. I was even getting alerts for inland San Diego county which is 150 miles away so the Los Angeles checkmark apparently covers pretty much all of Southern California.

I wonder if i can checkmark all the other cites (Boston, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Detroit, New York etc) and see if i get bombarded with alerts from all those areas. That would be a fun trick to play on a friend that also has a Mazda LOL

#4 ·
I did discover that it's probalby coming from SiriusXM but i haven't had Sirius for almost a year now, so i finally navigated to Source List > SiriusXM > pressed Menu > then scrolled down to the Sirius XM Settings menu and found a "Traffic & Weather Now" category, and in that there's a list of various cities around the country and discovered that "Los Angeles" was check-marked. That probably happened when i was in my free Sirius Trial period that i soon cancelled. I couldn't undo that checkmark, but when i scrolled up and check-marked "No City Selected" that removed the LA checkmark and so far in the past few weeks i have not gotten any more Weather Alerts from the surrounding areas. I'm hoping this stops them once and for all.
Well it turns out that un-checking "Los Angeles" only reduced the number of weather alerts, but didn't completely stop them. It seems like now i'm only getting alerts just for Los Angeles county (currently just HWW - High Wind Warnings), but no more weather alerts for the more distant Riverside/San Bernardino/Ventura/San Diego counties as far as i can tell. I dug around more in the menus but can't see any other way to completely disable weather alerts. But at least now they're greatly reduced so that's better.

#6 ·
Update - Over the past few weeks we have had several rainstorms here in Los Angeles and flooding in LA County as well as all the surrounding Counties as well as high winds between storms, and i have not gotten a single Weather Alert or HWW (High Wind Warning) alerts at all. So it seems that un-checking Los Angeles did eventually remove all these alerts. Maybe it just needed time to update my settings or sumthin, but so far it seems to have worked.

#5 · (Edited)
I was wondering where the weather alerts was coming from, I didn’t get them in the fiesta, and could never find them on my phone. I never activated my Sirius xm anything on it, never liked dealing with Sirius. They call every day practically about what I’m assuming is the trial ending and prolly wanting a card number to charge me for 4 Sirius ads per song, and the same songs over and over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.