2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it's been over 3 months, but I got it earlier this week! Spent the weekend doing the Interior lighting kit, remote start, aero kit, alloy pedals, and front plate relocator (courtesy of @minsanity).

So here it is, after 2 1/2 years of planning this purchase, here it is! Loving it!

Tint it going on this Friday, and vanity plate is going on soon too!

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow looks really nice congrats! The license plate relocation definitely made it look better. Why did you have to wait 3 months to get this car is it because of the aero kit?

·
Banned
125 Posts
It looks just like mine. Mines called SP25. I'm a bit skeptical about the tinted windows. I remarked to the dealer about them looking just like plain glass. he said something about them being solar activated, and that they look plain inside, and changed to tinted when outside. I don't know about that. checking on them outside, I can't see much, if any difference. maybe it's my eyesight?

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@g-hood

I really don't know why it took 3 months. I ordered it back in November of 2015. It finally arrived last week. I kept in very close contact with the Sales manager. He said sometimes it just takes a while. During the entire wait there wasn't a single Soul Red, Black Interior, Tech pkg in all of New England -- still isn't. In fact there, VERY few tech pkg Mazda3s period. Not sure if that might have something to do with it. I had the aero kit and all of the other accessories way before the car arrived
@Ivant

Sorry man. Not quite sure I understand your statement. The windows don't come tinted, and I don't believe any car company have transitioning glass (though that would be cool). When I say tint, I've got a guy literally coming to my house to put tint on the car. I have to keep it legal though, so I'll only be going 35%. It'll complete the look I'm going for though -- looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Congrats on finally getting the car haha :D Looks good, would look better with the dark gunmetal rims to complete that oem kit :D

·
Working Class Hero
3,692 Posts
Congrats know having patience for three months! Car looks awesome.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@lowincash

Absolutely agreed! However, I'm actually going for the 19" gunmetal rims on the Mazda 6 GT. Love those things! I'm gonna enjoy what I have for now, and probably Spring 2017 buy my baby a new pair of shoes. Also interested to see when the Mazda3 refresh comes out what kind of wheels they'll give it. Mazda has been coming out with some pretty cool wheels lately.
@GerryB

Thanks! Cheers!

Reactions: minsanity

·
Working Class Hero
3,692 Posts
Those 19s are supposedly wicked heavy, like 60 pounds with a Tire. The 18s are weighty enough, but Dayum.

·
Banned
125 Posts
@g-hood

I really don't know why it took 3 months. I ordered it back in November of 2015. It finally arrived last week. I kept in very close contact with the Sales manager. He said sometimes it just takes a while. During the entire wait there wasn't a single Soul Red, Black Interior, Tech pkg in all of New England -- still isn't. In fact there, VERY few tech pkg Mazda3s period. Not sure if that might have something to do with it. I had the aero kit and all of the other accessories way before the car arrived
@Ivant

Sorry man. Not quite sure I understand your statement. The windows don't come tinted, and I don't believe any car company have transitioning glass (though that would be cool). When I say tint, I've got a guy literally coming to my house to put tint on the car. I have to keep it legal though, so I'll only be going 35%. It'll complete the look I'm going for though -- looking forward to it.
Aren't most new cars coming out with factory tinting on the windows these days? They are in NZ anyway. I'm sure I read somewhere where it said the SP25 model had tinted glass. I have looked at getting tinted film put on in the past, but I didn't like the finish, there's little air bubbles and blemishes. If it's not perfect I don't want it, and it's not permanent. I was told that it needs to be replaced after a certain time, due to sun damage and scratches. You can't beat the factory tinting, it's built into the glass, and looks great.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Congrats sir great choice and that is one sharp looking sedan! I still marvel at what Mazda has done in this segment. The car in the right trim passes for a European luxury sedan.

I've been contemplating the plate relocater myself, might have to pull the trigger.I had my Windows tinted max legal and it looks sharp, definitely worth doing..

Question: how long did the OEM aero kit take to install? I had the dealer do mine and wished I saved the money and did it myself after seeing it just used adhesive.

·
Working Class Hero
3,692 Posts
I looked at the aero kit, but found the price off putting. But I never did price it as just parts.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I looked at the aero kit, but found the price off putting. But I never did price it as just parts.

Yeah it was steep, I went back and forth on it a few times before deciding to get it - it basically put me right around MSRP for the car. I'd have to check my invoice to recall exact price but $1700 sounds right if my memory serves me. I was willing to pay for the OEM status, considering later resale value, etc. Either way, not going to see much of that money back - pure luxury spending.

By the way, i like the look of it on my car, but they had a silver hatch with the appearance package they used to show me what it looked like, and it really popped on that car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Love the front plate relocation. Gonna have to add that to my list of potential things to do. How easy is something like that to do yourself (I'm not the most technically proficient person, but can follow directions fairly well... lol)

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
@ElNino77: Thanks. I love the way the kit looks. I've come to the conclusion that pictures just do not do our cars justice. Once you get out and look at it and walk around, it just really flows great. As for ease of installation. I'm a freak for perfection, so I took my time. It does require you to drill at the lower parts of the front and rear bumpers -- 2 holes in the front, 4 holes in the rear. The rest is held on with existing screws and doublesided tape. The sideskirts are super easy. You'll probably spend 20 minutes on the first one just to make sure you're doing it right. Then you'll say, "really? That's it?" and blow through the other side in 5 minutes. The whole kit is quite easy all said and done with the right tools. I would say I spent about 3 hours on it -- again, took my time. I'm sure a dealership can do it in about an hour. Doing it again, I could probably pull it off in an hour.

@GerryB: I completely agree with you. The price for the kit is definitely on the pricey side. I actually went through TascaParts.com. I want to say with the discount they give, it ran me about $980 or something like that. Simply grab the part numbers for Mazda's accessory website and type it in and it'll pop up. So far I've ordered all of my accessories through Tasca and I receive right around a 25% discount on all parts (available to everyone). Do yourself a favor though, don't put the VIN in at the end of the ordering process. These are accessory parts. So they'll send you an email saying they don't fit the car, you'll freak out, then they'll spend a week to research, only to say, "oh yeah, they do fit. Well we have to special order these, so it'll be another week. Then we're going to send it trucking freight to you, so that'll take another week." And before you know it, you've spent a month waiting for your parts. Just order w/o entering your VIN, wait for the email saying they've been shipped. Other than that, very easy company to deal with and knowing what I know now, even easier.

@Ryche: Agreed. I think the plate relocator is a MUST. It is super easy to install. You'll need to drill a plate bracket onto the actual plate mount, but that's about as technical as it gets. I consider myself pretty technically savvy, so it took me about 2 minutes to install with the right power tools. Someone less technically savvy, probably about 15 minutes. Reach out to @minsanity if you're interested and he'll put you in touch with the guy who sells the plate relocators. It's a very small mounting block, and about $115, but it's very professional and engineered from a plastic blow-mold process. It requires no drilling to install the mounting block on the front bumper and is easily reversible in the event you want to remove it. Supply is limited though. Hopefully there's still some left.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I love my Mazda and one heck of a proud owner!

·
Working Class Hero
3,692 Posts
Sounds about right lol. Good to know. Sounds like a good source.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey Chazzy J, could you answer some questions about the interior lighting kit? Does it automatically turn on and off with the interior lighting? Where does the switch go and how does it look? Could you take a pic of the switch and the lighting? How hard was the install? Thanks in advance!

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
@Der_kommissar: Absolutely my friend -- I'd be happy to. The interior light functions in 3 ways:

1) It turns on automatically upon unlocking the doors. You get in the car, shut the door, and they turn off when you shut the door. Essentially they function identical to your interior lights (this function cannot be disabled)
2) Turn the car off, your interior lights turn on, as does the lighting kit. They turn off when you exit the vehicle and lock it, or when you exit the vehicle and your interior lights turn themselves off. Again, identical to your interior lights. (this function cannot be disabled)
3) This is where the on/off switch takes comes into play. When driving, you can choose to have the interior lighting kit in the on position and the lighting will stay on and illuminate the footwells. Or you can choose to have it in the off position, and obviously there will be no lighting in the footwells.

A note: the lighting is very professionally done. Both in terms of install and usage. The lighting is more "atmospheric" than anything. It's not bright and it's not going to draw attention. As our interior dash/console lighting is mostly white, this interior lighting kit is suppose to mimic that of the dash and center console so it looks stock. Again, it's relatively dim, but professionally done and looks stock. No passenger would ever actually know that it's a separate kit. They'd just think it's something cool Mazda did.

As for the install -- oh boy! You literally have to take the lower dash apart as well as the center console. This took me all day to make sure I was doing it correctly. The actual install once you get everything apart is quite easy. The good thing is I didn't break a single clip and Mazda has very clear step by step directions in order to take everything apart. It was weird having a car with 18 miles on it and taking apart what felt like the whole interior -- haha. So it's definitely not for the faint of heart. You need to make sure you have interior tools specifically designed to take interior trim apart. They're little plastic things that help unclip trim pieces. Mazda's instruction recommend a flathead screw driver wrapped in masking tape -- not no way, not no how! I was able to do it with standard interior tools. Buy a good set though, otherwise you'll just snap the tools in half before you can even get the trim pieces loose. If you have a crappy set and break the tools, then I guess resort to the flathead wrapped in tape.

Below is a picture of the on/off switch. As you can see, it installs above the trunk release. This is where the directions say to put it. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

One last note: If you want the lighting kit, ask the dealership what it costs for the kit plus install. Mine quoted me $325 TOTAL. They gave me a 10% discount on the kit and it was like $90 for install. Let me tell ya, given that option again, I would absolutely have the dealership do the install. In fact, if anyone ever wanted me to help with an interior kit install, I'd say "no thank you" have the dealership do it. It was just way too time intensive. $90 is a freakin steal for what is involved on the install.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts