·
Registered
578 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Who is "they" and where?

from the link.

"Time will tell on those questions, but we do have some stuff in the works that will help. However, just spit-balling here, something around 280-300whp would be a lot of fun in the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6."

I suspect real life numbers and spit balling numbers is not same same and I would be surprised if it makes more than 250hp, unless the kit includes new lower comp pistons.

·
Super Moderator
5,968 Posts
from the link.

"Time will tell on those questions, but we do have some stuff in the works that will help. However, just spit-balling here, something around 280-300whp would be a lot of fun in the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6."

I suspect real life numbers and spit balling numbers is not same same and I would be surprised if it makes more than 250hp, unless the kit includes new lower comp pistons.
That is not a realistic power estimate, just some wishful thinking, nothing to do with reality.
For comparison, the BBR kit for the 2.0l SA motor makes a bit less than 210 whp in the real world.

·
Registered
431 Posts
That is not a realistic power estimate, just some wishful thinking, nothing to do with reality.
For comparison, the BBR kit for the 2.0l SA motor makes a bit less than 210 whp in the real world.
Yeah the mention of spit balling indicates that it is a fanciful number and not an actual power estimate.

·
Registered
158 Posts
from what i read is that they were looking to do it for only the 2.5L, however they had a link to submit a request for the 2.0L. If they do go forward and create this and leave out the 2.0L owners, I feel they will be leaving a lot on the table. Also 300 whp is way to far fetched for our vehicles, i feel best estimate is 205-215, like arathol said the BBR kit is close to 210.... Id likely be very interested in purchasing it though

·
Registered
659 Posts
For the 2.5 its going to be over 210bhp....i say this because otherwise they wont have much of a business case given the price of a typical turbo kit. E.G. no one would buy it. Considering they are bringing it to market, they must have some decent power gains.

If were talking whp, ok great, sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Depending on whats in the kit, $6-7k would not be out of line after all is said and done. That is about what MX5 kits are selling for.
Interesting. If we hear anything else about a 2.0 Turbo I might consider putting a bit of money into the car, thanks arathol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depending on whats in the kit, $6-7k would not be out of line after all is said and done. That is about what MX5 kits are selling for.
I've been wondering about these kits. Corksport says it'll be a full complete kit. Now, I'm average when it comes to my experience with car modding. Things like intakes, exhaust kits, exterior cosmetics etc. No problem. Simple bolts off, swap part, put bolts back on kind of stuff I'm comfortable with. What would a turbo kit like this look like to people like me lol? Something that, with very careful instructional reading, some common sense and a lot of time, can be put together at home (with potentially a mechanic buddy) or should this be done only by professionals.

·
Super Moderator
5,968 Posts
What would a turbo kit like this look like to people like me lol? Something that, with very careful instructional reading, some common sense and a lot of time, can be put together at home (with potentially a mechanic buddy) or should this be done only by professionals.
Here is what the BBR kit for the MX5 looks like. I would expect any turbo kit for the 3 to be more or less similar.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/bbr-stage-1-turbo.html

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've been wondering about these kits. Corksport says it'll be a full complete kit. Now, I'm average when it comes to my experience with car modding. Things like intakes, exhaust kits, exterior cosmetics etc. No problem. Simple bolts off, swap part, put bolts back on kind of stuff I'm comfortable with. What would a turbo kit like this look like to people like me lol? Something that, with very careful instructional reading, some common sense and a lot of time, can be put together at home (with potentially a mechanic buddy) or should this be done only by professionals.
If you don't know what you are doing better not do it.
Anyway, all this chat is just speculation before they actually release the turbo kit.

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you don't know what you are doing better not do it.
Anyway, all this chat is just speculation before they actually release the turbo kit.
Also don't forget you'll need a proper tune once you get the kit installed too along with putting it together lol

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
$6K-$7K is WAYYY too much for a turbo kit, even if it included tuning software and an EFR turbo, plus everything else, its still too much. I sincerely doubt they would ever sell more than a handful of these at that price point. It would have to include install and custom dyno tuning, essentially ship the car to them at their cost, they install and dyno tune, then ship the car back with custom live tuning updates to accommodate your altitude, air density, ect, after you drive it a week or so data logging for them. All that for 210whp........even if it was 230whp that's not nearly enough of a gain to warrant all of that money invested. For the same cost you could have a boosted FRS/86/BRZ with 350whp running on an EFR turbo making near instantaneous boost, plus the cost of the car of course.

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Price point and support for the 2.0 are the two things I'm worried about right now. If either one fail I'm probably just gonna pick up a side project like I've been talking about doing for awhile now.

But damn a turbo Mazda 3 would make me happy.

·
Registered
965 Posts
$6K-$7K is WAYYY too much for a turbo kit, even if it included tuning software and an EFR turbo, plus everything else, its still too much. I sincerely doubt they would ever sell more than a handful of these at that price point. It would have to include install and custom dyno tuning, essentially ship the car to them at their cost, they install and dyno tune, then ship the car back with custom live tuning updates to accommodate your altitude, air density, ect, after you drive it a week or so data logging for them. All that for 210whp........even if it was 230whp that's not nearly enough of a gain to warrant all of that money invested. For the same cost you could have a boosted FRS/86/BRZ with 350whp running on an EFR turbo making near instantaneous boost, plus the cost of the car of course.

I agree. Since when did the days of 3k turbo kits disappear? I mean, I know they have to account for all the R&D but still seems pricey.

Having said that, count me in for one when it's ready. Would Love to boost this thing for the ultimate daily for me, IMO.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts