2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When filling your car with gas,
Hold the trigger half way. You'll get more gas and less air in the tank....apparently :grin2:

·
Registered
295 Posts
One advantage to living in a country that is 30 years behind the times is you still have attendants in the petrol stations that pump your gas. Haven't pumped my own petrol since I moved here 10 years ago.
Do you have to tip attendant over there? I heard in some places there is a sign don't tip them. Might be rumors.

Once I was very low on gas my computer mileage estimation showed dashes. I barely found a gas station with outrageous gas price, plus full service. I had no choice to fill up 2 gallons. Attendant gave me a dirty look until I tipped him $1 he mellowed like cheshire cat and cleaned my windshield. I saved $5 filling up elsewhere, but this was first in 10 years experience someone did it for me.

I heard some folks even shake their cars to put more gas, interesting.:grin2:

·
Registered
78 Posts
One advantage to living in a country that is 30 years behind the times is you still have attendants in the petrol stations that pump your gas. Haven't pumped my own petrol since I moved here 10 years ago.
I live in Oregon, it's illegal to pump your own gas here. Like they can actually fine you if you do it. It's strange, but in a climate where it rains 9 months of the year it's pretty nice to not have to get out of your car to fill it up.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Do you have to tip attendant over there? I heard in some places there is a sign don't tip them. Might be rumors.

Once I was very low on gas my computer mileage estimation showed dashes. I barely found a gas station with outrageous gas price, plus full service. I had no choice to fill up 2 gallons. Attendant gave me a dirty look until I tipped him $1 he mellowed like cheshire cat and cleaned my windshield. I saved $5 filling up elsewhere, but this was first in 10 years experience someone did it for me.

I heard some folks even shake their cars to put more gas, interesting.:grin2:
We don't tip the attendant if he/she just fills the tank. If they clean the windshield or check the tire pressures I usually tip them 20 baht (about 65 cents US) which is good considering they only make 200 baht a day.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Strange you should quote that year, it's when I was born.....
Yes, I'm an old git...lol

·
Kenpachi
52 Posts
I live in California and there is someone who always fills my gas at the stations... It's called my friend who doesn't have a car but I make sure has gas money if they want to go anywhere.

·
Common Sense
182 Posts
There is something more to the story - just don't know what it is. I have found that filling the tank can be inconsistent, but I can't put my finger on the reason. I know I don't have this issue with my older car. HOWEVER, my older car has an analog fuel gauge instead of a digital one, which makes it easier to notice just how much fuel to expect on fill up.

Minor issue - most people would never notice.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I live in Oregon, been here my whole life and as stated we cannot pump our own gas.

After I got my Mazda, a friend and I took a trip to the coast, we decided to head south and come up through northern California. Stopping at a gas station I just sat in my car waiting for the gas attendant. Didn't dawn on my till my friend busted up laughing saying "You have to pump your own gas"

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I live in Oregon, been here my whole life and as stated we cannot pump our own gas.

After I got my Mazda, a friend and I took a trip to the coast, we decided to head south and come up through northern California. Stopping at a gas station I just sat in my car waiting for the gas attendant. Didn't dawn on my till my friend busted up laughing saying "You have to pump your own gas"
You guys are so lazy..ha ha ha :wink2:

·
Registered
295 Posts
My ex-coworker has been driving 9 years and never pulled to gas station. Does she drive a solar powered car? Nope. Her husband does for her all the time, in case of emergency she doesn't know where gas lid is.

·
Registered
174 Posts
New Jersey and Oregon state laws prohibit self-service filling.

Why the idiots in those states thought that was a good idea is beyond me.
In the case of NJ, it's because insurance costs are ridiculously expensive. So for the gas station owners, its a trade-off between the cost of liability insurance and the cost of hiring the staff to pump gas for you. All other factors being equal, a gas station that has attendants will pay less in liability insurance than a station that is self-serve.

Reason is insurers price policies to consider the risk/consequence that some idiot customer will drive off with the fuel hose still connected and blow the place to smithereens... that risk is much greater for the self-serve stations.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts