2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so... since the gv eyelids are like 50 dollars and i don't really like the corksport or ebay ones.... and like most people, im poor, so im considering the fiberglass DIY route depending on the cost... any inputs or advises?

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Fiberglass suuuuucks. It's soooo messy and nasty. I'd just spend $50 and get GV or some ebay knock offs.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well problem is there isn't one that look like the gv style :/
any other way i can go DIY? :p other than painting them on lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is what you do...

Create a cardboard cutout of the eyelids and double it for both sides. Tape them on and be sure you like them. Once you're happy with the shape of the eyelids and how they look Go to Walmart or AutoZone and get this:

Walmart.com: Bondo Fiberglass Resin Repair Kit, 1/2pt: Sealants, Fillers & Adhesives

Then take a baking sheet, a medium to large sized one and wet a paper towel and wipe the baking sheet. Take tinfoil and lay it flat on the baking sheet. The water helps the foil stay and stay flat. Then cut the fiberglass cloth so it fits both eyelids. Then cut about 3 or 4 layers, all roughly the same size. Be sure to leave about an inch extra around the sides and between the two eyelids.

Mix the harder and resin together and after putting the first layer of cloth down, soak it with the mixed resin. Then put the next layer of cloth on, more resin, another layer, more resin. Do this all quickly since it begins to set in a few minutes. After you have about 3 to 4 layers of cloth and resin, coat the last layer with a good amount of resin. Then take another sheet of tinfoil and place it on top of the layered fiberglass.

If you have another baking sheet, throw that, or something on top of the top layer of tinfoil and get some books, or a tip, or something heavy to press the sheets together.

Basically you're creating a flexible sheet of fiberglass that you will then trace the cardboard cuts on - once it's try. Cut it out with scissors and, because it's flexible, it should bend to the curve of the headlamp. Sand the edges and front and back down so it's flat. The resin might of had air bubbles in it when flatting out, so you might have to sand a side smooth.

Paint the fiberglass cut outs, and double side sicky tape them to the headlight. I would put a single strip on the back, and then get some automotive caulk and apply it to the back to create a watertight seal - but also keeping it removable if need be.

I took this method when creating faceplates for the LED's for my DRL. If you want I can create a set of eyelids with some extra fiberglass cloth I have and make a DIY. But all in all, it shouldn't cost you more than $20 in supplies, and you should have enough cloth in that kit linked above to make 4-6 eyelids.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dude that sounds do-able lol think im gonna give it a try, gives me something to do too lol
i will post a follow up when and if im done haha lets see how this goes...
and i think a write up would be pretty useful for other who might wanna try this too :), and thanks for the response! :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
No problem. I'll do this tomorrow too. It'll give me an excuse to wear my new running shoes outside rather than inside haha.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sweet! you would probably be done before me since you have experience haha
post some pix! :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
This is what you do...

Create a cardboard cutout of the eyelids and double it for both sides. Tape them on and be sure you like them. Once you're happy with the shape of the eyelids and how they look Go to Walmart or AutoZone and get this:

Walmart.com: Bondo Fiberglass Resin Repair Kit, 1/2pt: Sealants, Fillers & Adhesives

Then take a baking sheet, a medium to large sized one and wet a paper towel and wipe the baking sheet. Take tinfoil and lay it flat on the baking sheet. The water helps the foil stay and stay flat. Then cut the fiberglass cloth so it fits both eyelids. Then cut about 3 or 4 layers, all roughly the same size. Be sure to leave about an inch extra around the sides and between the two eyelids.

Mix the harder and resin together and after putting the first layer of cloth down, soak it with the mixed resin. Then put the next layer of cloth on, more resin, another layer, more resin. Do this all quickly since it begins to set in a few minutes. After you have about 3 to 4 layers of cloth and resin, coat the last layer with a good amount of resin. Then take another sheet of tinfoil and place it on top of the layered fiberglass.

If you have another baking sheet, throw that, or something on top of the top layer of tinfoil and get some books, or a tip, or something heavy to press the sheets together.

Basically you're creating a flexible sheet of fiberglass that you will then trace the cardboard cuts on - once it's try. Cut it out with scissors and, because it's flexible, it should bend to the curve of the headlamp. Sand the edges and front and back down so it's flat. The resin might of had air bubbles in it when flatting out, so you might have to sand a side smooth.

Paint the fiberglass cut outs, and double side sicky tape them to the headlight. I would put a single strip on the back, and then get some automotive caulk and apply it to the back to create a watertight seal - but also keeping it removable if need be.

I took this method when creating faceplates for the LED's for my DRL. If you want I can create a set of eyelids with some extra fiberglass cloth I have and make a DIY. But all in all, it shouldn't cost you more than $20 in supplies, and you should have enough cloth in that kit linked above to make 4-6 eyelids.
This is going to be tough trying to get the top layer of fiberglass completely smooth. Also the bend that is needed to fit over the headlamp is very radical. The cost of materials I spent was about $30 dollars, honestly it was a pain in the ass to make, however you'll end up with a durable, custom made eyelid...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
do u have any pix?
mine turned out pretty bad so i gave up on it lol but i did get a pretty good shape

·
AutoProject
241 Posts
I would love to have eye lids but for some reason it makes my head lights fog. ive gone through five sets and its the same. even went to mazda and got replaced both headlights. so I'll just buy some vnly and use the eyelids as templates

1 - 12 of 12 Posts