2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 mazda3i automatic, 95k miles

Just spent $600 to fix misfire on cylinder 4. (I wrote a thread about that.)

Now at 40mph on a slight incline trying to pass a car, I felt my car hard shift for the first time.

Normally I wouldn't be worried about it but after my recent engine trouble, I'm worried.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Sometimes these things make errors, it's not perfect. One harsh shift doesn't mean anything.

That being said, you're getting to the point where a transmission flush is a good idea.

See if it keeps doing it and worry then.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "hard shift", but I'll bet it was an engine misfire. Have you checked for codes?

·
Registered
69 Posts
In my experience (CX-5 mostly) an engine misfire will cause the drivetrain to buck like crazy, which could be misconstrued as a trans issue. However that usually puts the drivetrain into "limp home mode" and results in a code being thrown by the ECU. I think it wouold be worth your while to check for any codes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
One caveat: IF this is the automatic transmission which is giving a problem (and credible evidence above suggests that maybe it is not)....

The thing worth noting (and not All would agree with me) - at 95,000 miles I personally would not i) flush the transmission; ii) nor would I change filter once / drop the fluid three times in fairly close succession. I say this assuming you have never dropped the ATF in 95,000 miles.

New ATF in there can liberate sludge / debris - as the chemistry of the new fluid is fresh and it acts as a solvent, strictly speaking. If you had dropped the ATF / changed the filter, say, every 50,000 miles... then NP. Otherwise, for me, NO WAY!

Oh, the notion of flushing the transmission, even at 50,000 mile intervals, ALSO is contentious. Some mfrs (like Honda) strictly say - no flushing - 'cuz they are worried about possible contamination of their transmissions. Also, running one cooling line into a bucket (assuming it DOES have cooling lines) while adding ATF at the same time - does not pass muster for me, as it interrupts the lubricant flow that normally feeds a bearing or a bushing or ??? The line is meant to stay connected!

YMMV!

·
Super Moderator
4,459 Posts
Look at about the 1 minute mark in this video to see where the dipstick is....

Just FYI, when you drain the transmission, only about half of the 8+ quarts that are in there will actually come out......

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look at about the 1 minute mark in this video to see where the dipstick is....

Just FYI, when you drain the transmission, only about half of the 8+ quarts that are in there will actually come out......
wtf idiot engineer put the dipstick in such an inaccessible place?
you have to remove the airbox to get to the dipstick just to check the transmission fluid level?!???

·
Registered
141 Posts
They intended that it NOT be a regular service item. I personally am not in that school of thought. Having said this, there undoubtedly is a bunch of planning to do both to just check the ATF... and/or also to go ahead and change it and end up with the correct level (particularly if you combine this with a filter change). The car has to be raised and leveled, and the temp of the ATF has to between two values in order for the level indication to be accurate. Also, cleanliness is very important... and so to my way of thinking, it DOES merit taking the air box out to be able to clean in and around the dipstick --- even if you do, ultimately, intend to check level with the airbox back in place. Last comment is... I don't personally know if the car will run with the airbox removed (for purposes of checking ATF).

Not ideal, I know...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts