2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of my friends have pointed out to me they feel like a bobble head when riding in the back seat. I have to say I agree. I took my car to the dealer for the first oil change they assured me everything check out ok. Has anyone else felt it or heard that from their passangers?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
As weird as this is, I've owned my car since May and I've never had anyone in the back seat!

·
1,091 Posts
I went zooming around on a canyon road, speeding just under the limits of tire squeal, with a friend in the front seat and one in the back.

The one in the back, despite being buckled in, felt somewhat sick by the end of the 10 mile run. I laughed.

With the crappy LA freeways and tighter suspension of the MS3, I can feel like a bobble head at times too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is there anything to resolve this? Someone told me it has to do with concrete?? Not sure thats really the problem.

·
2010 MS3
244 Posts
If you're driving a manual, don't shift as hard... If you're driving an autocraptic, don't go WOT, so your tranny won't have to shift so hard...

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I first got my car I felt like that in the driver's seat. It was actually very apparent to me. Never heard any complains though. I would say after about a week I didn't feel like a bobble head anymore. Not sure if I just got used to it or if it was just how I had my seat positioned or something.

·
1,091 Posts
If it's happening while cruising and not shifting, then the ride quality is based on various factors:

smoothness of road
tire pressure, tire sidewall height (profile)
suspension
seats
and ultimately, how much junk is in your trunk (the one you sit on, not your actual trunk)

Did you switch your tires to all seasons or snow tires for WI?

Other factors could be engine vibration which are tied to the mounts but are more likely when switching out the squishy stock mounts for firmer ones.

I'd suggest riding around in another car (same make/model/year) to make sure there isn't something potentially wrong with the way your struts are providing damping.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks I will look into those things! I can at least eliminate the junk in the trunk prediction : )

·
Registered
987 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow thanks everyone! I just thought I might have been paranoid about it but it never hurts to ask! Thanks again! When I brought it in for the oil change they made me do the tire rotation thing would they automatically adjust them then or no?

·
That Guy From That Place
89 Posts
Definitely check your tire pressure. I got a new car once that had 55 psi in them! When I dropped the pressure down to the recommended psi the car rode so much smoother.
55 psi!!i wouldn't go to that dealer sounds like they want you dead...and want it to look like an accident.

on the bobble head thing...in most cases its probably the road conditions i know i get that feeling when driving on the Los Angeles freeways...

·
1,272 Posts
I've heard that dealers pump the tires really high like that on purpose. When cars sit on the lot for as long as they do at a dealer, they don't want the tires to run flat/low and get all screwed up.

They're supposed to bring them to the normal pressure when they do the dealer prep, so your dealer may have just forgot dunston.

·
Token Fiero Owner
375 Posts
i notice that whenever i have passengers they will rock almost pre-emptively when i shift. even the smoothest shifts they will move forward like im shifting hard and fast. pseudo-Pavlovian response?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Noticed that feeling too..

I noticed this exact same feeling on concrete roads in the driver's seat! On my morning drive to work, the road switches from asphalt to concrete and it's definitely worse on concrete. No passengers, nothing in the trunk, it's exactly the same with my winter or summer tires. I think it's a suspension problem that wobbles the entire car front to back.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts