2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got around to trying to figure out how I might get wires from the cabin to the engine so I could maybe make an independent Fog Light switch and I was wondering if there were any places to feed it through other than that main wire harness right in the driver side footwell.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about...

And another just to be clear...

As you can see, there is a big Red wire going to it already which is from a Sub Install I got done a while back.

But from what it looks like, the guy just created a small hole in the Rubber part the protects the inside of my car from water and stuff.... But the hole seems tight around the Red wire, so I don't mind...

You can see where it feeds in to the engine compartment here:

Now, I'm not totally against making another hole in that rubber, I could just seal it with silicone later or something....

I'm just wondering if there is some special tool to help Make a hole in the rubber and feed the wire through at the same time, like a needle and thread I guess...

Either that, or some other place to feed wires through that would be easier....

Anyone have suggestions? :sweatdrop: :walkman:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used a straightened wire clothes hanger with a very tight loop bent in one end (basically just bent the last inch and a half back over itself and squeezed it tight with pliers), attached my electrical wire to that end by twisting then wrapping with electrical tape. Then it was just a matter of poking the other end of the straightened hanger through that rubber boot. Actually I was unable to poke through it and ended up going through at the edge. I didn't notice any air or water leaks, but I did go back and seal it with some silicone just to be thorough.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a straightened wire clothes hanger with a very tight loop bent in one end (basically just bent the last inch and a half back over itself and squeezed it tight with pliers), attached my electrical wire to that end by twisting then wrapping with electrical tape. Then it was just a matter of poking the other end of the straightened hanger through that rubber boot. Actually I was unable to poke through it and ended up going through at the edge. I didn't notice any air or water leaks, but I did go back and seal it with some silicone just to be thorough.
Hmmm thats actually legit... I'll have to try it.... If I can find any wire hangers lying around, lmao...

I guess If I had any of those maybe I would have thought of it... thanks though - damn I posted this forever ago.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts