2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of '93 RX7 wheels with tires on craigslist yesterday. I've read that they fit on the gen 1 cars no problem, so I figured I'd give them a shot. Turns out they rub on the outer tie rod end at full lock. I suppose some spacers would give me the clearance, but they are already almost sticking out of the wheel well as is.

It's a shame, because with 225/50's on these, they still weigh 1 lb less than my stock ones. (RX7's weighed 38.8, skyactiv wheels and tires weighed 39.8)

I'll probably grab a set of 10mm spacers and see how things work out.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I'm going to do a test fit with washers to measure what thickness spacer I need. On the plus side, the studs look plenty long enough to accomodate even a 10mm spacer.

BTW, lugnuts with a seat larger than the flats are needed on these wheels, since the stock lug nuts smaller seats cause the flats to dig in to the wheel.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
they don't look like they are sticking out really. and I'd agree paint those things and it would look sick

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
Weird... saw a set of those rims on Craigslist the other day for sale in Abilene for $350.

But yea, those would look great painted!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weird... saw a set of those rims on Craigslist the other day for sale in Abilene for $350.

But yea, those would look great painted!
There are 2 versions. 13 lb and 15 lb. The 13's are the older ones and are supposedly prone to cracking, so half way through 1993, mazda started putting reinforced ones on that weighed 15lbs. I lucked out and got the reinforced ones. Turns out 2 are bent, so they're going to a wheel repair shop this week.

Reactions: swsmailman

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
There are 2 versions. 13 lb and 15 lb. The 13's are the older ones and are supposedly prone to cracking, so half way through 1993, mazda started putting reinforced ones on that weighed 15lbs. I lucked out and got the reinforced ones. Turns out 2 are bent, so they're going to a wheel repair shop this week.
Ah, sweet. Did not know that, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, any ideas on what color I should paint them? Thinking about re-doing them in silver, but also considering gunmetal, gloss black, or flat black (plasti-dip).

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
How about white? but silver may work also.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Considered white, but only if i could do an exact paint match to the body. Damn tricoat!

·
Registered
383 Posts
no go with the powder clearcoat. Even high heat paint will change when powder coated over. I had my powder coater try for me. He used engine enamel and cleared over it and it dulled the gloss and darkened the paint a pretty noticeable amount.

I would suggest just paint match and then spray paint clear. Or take them to a body shop and have them sand blasted and then sprayed. Would probably cost a good bit more than powder coating but they will be a match. Better than having somebody powder coat them "close"

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got the bent ones back from the shop; now they're all straight and true. Let the resto begin!

The one on the right is untouched, while the left has about an hour(!) of my labor into it with a scotchbrite pad and brake cleaner. Got some duplicolor graphite wheel coating to spray on since I'm cheap. I have all winter to get these done, so I'm taking my time with these.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got around to test fitting the 5mm ebay spacers I purchased over a month ago. No one lists the outer diameter and these are a bit small, but should do the trick. If I could, I'd look for ones that had a bit more metal outside the stud holes, though.

They are a bit small for the RX wheels, but fit really well on the rotors.

The inside lip now clears the tie rod by ~2mm at full lock. Here's the best pic I could get:

I'm also using different lug nuts with a larger conical seat, as the flats on the factory lug nuts dig in to the wheel quite a bit.

Reactions: chavy

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for updating I'll order a set of 5mm for the front and maybe 10mm for the rears
Yeah the rears could use a little more spacing outward to fill in the wheelwell. You'll probably have to get some longer studs for the 10mm spacers, though.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got some dorman TPMS from rockauto.com and they seem to fit these 20 year old wheels pretty well.

Before and after.

Finally got them all painted up and installed. Excuse the dirty car!

·
The tennerican!
683 Posts
Definetly different! Nice job they look really good.:thumbup1 1:

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Neat! How big are the wheels?

Sent from that one app with the gay annoying signature

1 - 20 of 21 Posts