2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Note: I decided to copy this thread from another forum since there seems to be a much greater concentration of 2010 Mz3 owners here.)

I started this thread to document my progress in modifying my Black Mica 3s Sport 4-door 6-speed, as well as to get some advice & input from my fellow forum members! My goals for the vehicle are twofold:

1) to make the car even more fun to own and drive without breaking the bank (too much!)

2) to keep things tasteful and OEM-like, especially by purchasing parts from Mazda-specific vendors whenever possible (i.e. Corksport, Racing Beat, Tri-Point, etc.)

Also, I'm thinking about getting into auto-x. My mechanic friend was trying to talk me into it when I had my Protege many years ago, but I held off because of the distance (at the time I was living 1.5 hours away from where he went) and because I became a father and couldn't swing the time commitment. However, there is a local SCCA chapter that meets right by my house, and I've seen auto-x events at my local mall. Anyway...

Without further ado, here is my list of current and planned mods (subject to change, of course!):
(updated January 2014)

Current mods:
-CorkSport short ram intake
-CorkSport strut tower bar
-JBarone Racing short shift plate
-JBarone Racing solid shifter base bushings
-DDM Tuning aluminum pedals
-OEM footwell LED lighting kit
-OEM all-weather floormats
-Tri-Point Engineering adjustable rear sway bar
-Tri-Point Engineering sway bar end links
-Tenzo Tracer V1 Black Matte 18x8.5 +48, wrapped in Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum 225/40R18
-McGard SplineDrive wheel lock kit
-35% window tint

Future mods:
Performance & Suspension:
-CorkSport Power Series cat-back exhaust or Racing Beat Power Pulse axle-back exhaust
-CorkSport urethane exhaust hangers
-Koni Sports
-Road Magnet 1.25" lowering springs
-PowerGrid front sway bar endlinks

Appearance:
-door vent visors
-blue accents for the engine bay to match my CS SRI

Undecided:
-TWM Performance full replacement shifter
-MSDS exhaust header
-CorkSport big brake kit

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! Please feel free to leave advice/suggestions/comments/constructive criticism.

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
current engine bay pic

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
pay attention to what mods might put you in the modified auto-x class, where you will be more likely to be seriously outgunned.

Wheels/tires would be the first start for any serious autocrossing. Lightweight wheels and decent performance summer tires (an expensive proposition though). No all-seasons. Then suspension (rules permitting), then power (which would probably land you in the modified category). No use in having power if you can't put it to the ground, which is what the suspension and tires will do ;)

For a street car, your list of mods does sound tasteful, minus the engine bay accents and footwell lighting. But thats just me if it were my car. I'm also not a fan of shift plates so I wouldn't have one of those as well.

For springs, best to find a suspension package (springs and struts) that work together well. The stock struts don't like lowering springs. I don't know about any Mazda3-specific packages (haven't done the research) but my buddy has been running a Bilstein/H&R (?) package built by Turner Motorsport (yes, he has a BMW...) which he has run fault-free for 3 years. Things work out best when you have professionals doing your homework for you. Also warlord has some good info on suspension tuning if you want to pick his brain/posts.

That said, its your car, and I'm looking forward to the final outcome when everything falls into place.

Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, definitely look into a spring/strut package. I used to drive a BMW, and spent a lot of time on the e46fanatics forum, and handling has always been a major factor when it came to mods for the BMWs. I know they make H&R cupkits/eibach pro-kit spring/strut kit for various cars, although I'm not quite sure if they have any out for the 2010 mz3 yet, but something like that would be nice upgrade for the car's suspension.
Oh, and btw, nice choice in body style and color :thumbup 1:
Without the mods, its like the twin of my car, on the other side of the susquehanna river =]
And I'm assuming when you mentioned the local autox events, you were talking about the ones that they have at Park City?

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
pay attention to what mods might put you in the modified auto-x class, where you will be more likely to be seriously outgunned.

Wheels/tires would be the first start for any serious autocrossing. Lightweight wheels and decent performance summer tires (an expensive proposition though). No all-seasons. Then suspension (rules permitting), then power (which would probably land you in the modified category). No use in having power if you can't put it to the ground, which is what the suspension and tires will do ;)

For a street car, your list of mods does sound tasteful, minus the engine bay accents and footwell lighting. But thats just me if it were my car. I'm also not a fan of shift plates so I wouldn't have one of those as well.

For springs, best to find a suspension package (springs and struts) that work together well. The stock struts don't like lowering springs. I don't know about any Mazda3-specific packages (haven't done the research) but my buddy has been running a Bilstein/H&R (?) package built by Turner Motorsport (yes, he has a BMW...) which he has run fault-free for 3 years. Things work out best when you have professionals doing your homework for you. Also warlord has some good info on suspension tuning if you want to pick his brain/posts.

That said, its your car, and I'm looking forward to the final outcome when everything falls into place.

Good luck!
thanks for the info and advice!

don't worry, any engine bay accents won't be gaudy :tongue: - for example, a blue oil cap - just a few little things to compliment the SRI. it's definitely at the far bottom of the list of priorities.

as far as the suspension is concerned, I was hoping to get Racing Beat springs since RB specializes in Mazdas, and they will be developed for performance rather than aesthetics (i.e. size of the drop), unlike some other springs. I know a lot of people run Koni yellows on this car, but I'm curious to see what struts will work best with the RB springs. the suspension upgrades are high on my list of priorities, but unfortunately, I need to wait for more products to be released! I will definitely have to see what Warlord has to say as he has already provided me with some very helpful information.

just out of curiosity - why aren't you a fan of shift plates?

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, definitely look into a spring/strut package. I used to drive a BMW, and spent a lot of time on the e46fanatics forum, and handling has always been a major factor when it came to mods for the BMWs. I know they make H&R cupkits/eibach pro-kit spring/strut kit for various cars, although I'm not quite sure if they have any out for the 2010 mz3 yet, but something like that would be nice upgrade for the car's suspension.
Oh, and btw, nice choice in body style and color :thumbup 1:
Without the mods, its like the twin of my car, on the other side of the susquehanna river =]
And I'm assuming when you mentioned the local autox events, you were talking about the ones that they have at Park City?
thanks, and great taste in the choice of car! :yes: and yes, I was referring to Park City - I haven't actually attended any of the events there but plan on doing so - have you been to any?

I know that H&R and Eibach springs are available for our car. CorkSport sells the H&Rs for $220 iirc. I'm not sure where to get the Pro-kits, but I know that a bunch of members here have them. as I said above, I want to wait for the Racing Beat springs since RB specializes in Mazdas and engineers them for performance first, rather than drop.

if you don't mind me asking, where are you located on the other side of the river? I used to work in York.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I looked at the Japanese magazine. They said there is not really alot thing to put.
Low down , after market rim and spring is good enough.
If you want upgrade perform, you can look for a turbo ,supercharger,high performance spark plug,shift ratio and swap your car's computer.
If you want for the appearance, you can look for a Carbon fiber hood, a spoiler or body kit.

i hope to see your mod soon !! =]

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm in York, like 5 minutes from the Galleria mall. I have been to one of the autox events because my buddy was racing in it. It's a pretty cool event, definitely recommend checking it out sometime.

·
zoom freakin' zoom
613 Posts
I'm in York, like 5 minutes from the Galleria mall. I have been to one of the autox events because my buddy was racing in it. It's a pretty cool event, definitely recommend checking it out sometime.
I was just at the Galleria two weekends ago....

That is a very nice list you have there and I say go for the engine bay accents. It sounds like you have some very tasteful things in mind. I would do a little more to the P5 but with 132k and never cleaned, what's the point on spending money on shiny parts? lol

As spwalker said, if you plan on autoxing then I'd start with suspension and look for nice lightweight 15's or if you wanted to stay with 17's you could get a set of these. :rock 1:

17x9 6ULR Bronze wheel

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll definitely have to check that out.

I used to take my lunch breaks at the food court at the Galleria - I used to work for the Dept. of Homeland Security, at York County Prison.

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just at the Galleria two weekends ago....

That is a very nice list you have there and I say go for the engine bay accents. It sounds like you have some very tasteful things in mind. I would do a little more to the P5 but with 132k and never cleaned, what's the point on spending money on shiny parts? lol

As spwalker said, if you plan on autoxing then I'd start with suspension and look for nice lightweight 15's or if you wanted to stay with 17's you could get a set of these. :rock 1:

17x9 6ULR Bronze wheel
thank you!

132k on the P5, huh? it's never too late for more mods, haha.

seriously though, I know what you mean. I had 128k on my Protege ES when I traded it in for the 3 - after like 100k, I realized it wouldn't be worth doing anything else to it.

those wheels look awesome, thanks! I prefer them in charcoal over the bronze though. I'll definitely keep them in mind.

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
after discussing the subject with our suspension guru, warlord, I am thinking of getting the Road Magnet springs with the 1.25" drop.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
after discussing the subject with our suspension guru, warlord, I am thinking of getting the Road Magnet springs with the 1.25" drop.
Warlord is a smart dude! Go with his recommendation!!!

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
made a non-performance purchase the other day: ordered the OEM all-weather floor mats & interior footwell LED lighting kit from www.partsformymazda.com. their prices seem to be the lowest of anyone for the official Mazda accessories ($59 for the mats, $125 for the lighting kit).

·
Go Fast
222 Posts
Warlord is a smart dude! Go with his recommendation!!!
I did and no regrets.

The RM 1.25s are a little bouncy with stock shocks/struts for my taste so I plan on going KONI FSD here shortly.

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OEM interior LED lighting kit installed today (and OEM all-weather floor mats, too)!

Attachments

·
Original Member
262 Posts
looks good. as for the wheels posted a while back, I would look into wheels that are hubcentric....those wheels have a larger hub bore requiring hubcentric spacers in order to fit right, which is inferior especially when considering auto-x or other competitive driving events.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I did and no regrets.

The RM 1.25s are a little bouncy with stock shocks/struts for my taste so I plan on going KONI FSD here shortly.
LOL, when that group buy was going on I hoped I wasn't leading everyone over the cliff. Blind leading the blind. :tongue:

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks good. as for the wheels posted a while back, I would look into wheels that are hubcentric....those wheels have a larger hub bore requiring hubcentric spacers in order to fit right, which is inferior especially when considering auto-x or other competitive driving events.
good call, thanks, I didn't notice that!

·
ZOOM ZOOM
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
LOL, when that group buy was going on I hoped I wasn't leading everyone over the cliff. Blind leading the blind. :tongue:
the only thing that kept me from leaping off that cliff was a lack of money at the time. I'm still planning to get them eventually since I've heard mostly favorable reviews.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts